Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 12:37 PM

68 posts, read 217,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenoodle99 View Post
Any time we head back home to visit family we always fill up on our favorites, especially mexican food. It just doesn't exist here in FL. People swear it does and go on about the latest mexican restaurant they've found but none have been to AZ. All of it is pretty bad here. I've lived in AZ, NM and TX and the best mexican food is in AZ.

My brother recently came to visit me here and loved how beautiful it is, kept saying how he wants to live here. I told him he would miss the food too much.
No question Tucson has great Mexican food, which I miss out here in the middle of the ocean. But there's a lot of great Mexican food along the Southwest states. However, only Tucson, and nowhere else, has the LUCKY WISHBONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 01:03 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenoodle99 View Post
Any time we head back home to visit family we always fill up on our favorites, especially mexican food. It just doesn't exist here in FL. People swear it does and go on about the latest mexican restaurant they've found but none have been to AZ. All of it is pretty bad here. I've lived in AZ, NM and TX and the best mexican food is in AZ.

My brother recently came to visit me here and loved how beautiful it is, kept saying how he wants to live here. I told him he would miss the food too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanaMan View Post
No question Tucson has great Mexican food, which I miss out here in the middle of the ocean. But there's a lot of great Mexican food along the Southwest states. However, only Tucson, and nowhere else, has the LUCKY WISHBONE!
Absolutely! Arizona's Mexican food is hard to beat anywhere in America. In Tucson, I'd go with El Charro, which has been in business since 1922!

Old 12-21-2015, 02:58 PM

13 posts, read 42,093 times
Cf

Old 12-21-2015, 03:11 PM

How about seeing Jimi Hendrix play at the east speedway ice skating rink in the 60's for a 50 cents admission? If I remember correctly, he was the second billing with Paul Revere and the Raider

Steppenwolf at the roller skating rink?

The Doors playing at Hi Corbett Field (Randolf Park)?

Boonies at the Cottonwoods in the riverbed?

Boyce and Hart at the JCC? We gave them a ride from their hotel after KTKT announced they were stranded. We were "crushing" and after hearing the news on the radio, we swung-by the hotel and there they were standing out front...

Someone earlier was trying to think of Brouse Around on north Country Club.

Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse was the place that cutoff the men's ties.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 23,381 times
Raising hand…Born at St. Mary's in 1951. My HS sweetheart/husband of 40+ years was born there 7 days later. Both parents Tucson transplants who met at UA. Was in the "Knot Hole gang" at UA football games. Junior Assembly: 1962-64…slow learner I guess! I later found out that my hubs was in the same class as I was, buy didn't really meet him until HS. Saw Steppenwolf (at Monterey Ice?) and The Doors at Hi Corbett with hubs. Graduated THS in 1969. Polo Village: 103A from 1970-1977. Husband got 3 degrees and I got my bachelors at the School of Nursing. When we finally left Tucson in '77, we moved to Tempe where hubs taught Math for a couple years at (horrors!) ASU. Then we moved to Seattle and then Colorado in 1982. I still go back to Tucson as Mom lives in my childhood home near UA campus. First stop is always Lerua's on Broadway. Haven't read the whole thread, but love this site.
Historic Tucson Photo Gallery by Peg Price at pbase.com

Last edited by LynnInColorado; 12-21-2015 at 05:13 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 05:09 PM

112 posts, read 103,471 times
I lived in Tucson in the early 90's and loved it!!!
I havent been back since 1995.
I remember back in 1992, I went for a walk, and I was surrounded by Javelinas ( wild pigs)
About 50 of them!!!
I was sooooo scared..I couldnt move!!!
I finally slowly walked away trembling in fear...
when I got to my friends house, I told them what happened.
They died laughing and said "omg we have lived in tucson our WHOLE lives and that NEVER happened to us!!!"

Old 12-21-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
The Investigation Discovery Channel is running a series called "A Crime to Remember". One of the episodes focuses on "The Pied Piper of Tucson". Charles Schmid and Gretchen Fritz hung out in Tucson during the 1960's on or near Speedway. Schmid ended up being convicted of killing Fritz.

The episode mentions landmarks like The Rodeo Drive-In. Does anyone know about this case and/or familiar with the parties involved?

The show named other people, but those names could have been changed.
Sadly, I knew Wendy Fritz, Gretchen's younger sister who was also killed. The Fritz's lived near the Arizona Inn and their father was a physician. My friend and her older sister had been invited to go along with Gretchen and Wendy to a movie I think, but didn't go thankfully. If I recall correctly, Schmid escaped from prison and was arrested near the tracks in Tucson. Very creepy. Made me believe in the death sentence when guilt is absolutely proven. Arizona Daily Wildcat :: Remembering Charles Schmid, local serial killer

Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciChoi View Post
I lived in Tucson in the early 90's and loved it!!!
I havent been back since 1995.
I remember back in 1992, I went for a walk, and I was surrounded by Javelinas ( wild pigs)
About 50 of them!!!
I was sooooo scared..I couldnt move!!!
I finally slowly walked away trembling in fear...
when I got to my friends house, I told them what happened.
They died laughing and said "omg we have lived in tucson our WHOLE lives and that NEVER happened to us!!!"
Yikes! Where were you?

Old 12-22-2015, 12:06 AM

406 posts, read 624,184 times
Wow, I was pleasantly surprised to see all the new activity in here. I too am curious where you were MerciChoi when you were surrounded by javelinas? You must have been there for the mini-flood in 93 (not as bad as the one in 1983).

That is eerie that you knew Wendy Fritz, Lynn. Did you associate with the crowd that hung around near or on Speedway? I am basing that solely on the episode that stated the teenagers congregated in a specific spot and Speedway was mentioned. I always wondered if the park on the southeast corner of Speedway and Stone was there in the early 60s. If so, was that a place they could have hung out?

Old 12-22-2015, 07:21 AM

Merci -- that park was there at the time but Country Club was the west boundary for the cruising crowd in those days. Javalinas are cool as long as they don't have babies with them at the time. I moved to far NE Scottsdale and live in a rural area with wildlife such as javalinas all around and they pretty much just snoot and snort their way around without bothering most folks.

Lynn -- I'll bet Steppenwolf may have played Tucson more than once if you saw them at Monterrey Ice. I'm fairly certain I saw them at the roller rink because I remember we were parked and in my car watching them through the long wall of glass on the north side of the roller rink. The music was loud enough even on the outside to be enjoyable! I also was born in 1951 and my family moved from Colo to Tucson in 1961. I also went to Tucson high...and Catalina....and Salpointe...and Rincon. I was attending THS when MLK was killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson