Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:49 PM

578 posts, read 962,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
To be fair, many historians credit the creation of Liberia by black Americans with the birth of Pan Africanism. It makes sense. Blacks from the States who moved into Libera had no direct cultural link to the tribes of that area. The concept of Pan Africanism was born to attempt to link the various peoples together. That was in the early 1800's. It would later serve as inspiration for "Garveyism" put forth by Marcus Garvey in the 1920's.

I do agree with you about the "one drop" rule. It is ignorant and backwards. But I think what some are getting at is there are people who clearly have West African ancestry who will flat out deny it. I am a fair skinned black American. I've had plenty of conversations with blacks from other cultures who will claim everything EXCEPT their African ancestry. I never argue. I let people define themselves the way they want.

But if a guy like me, who is on the light side of a brown paper bag, can proudly claim my portion of African ancestry those others should too.
Gravy was a racist and colorist. He also was anti mixed and anti light skinned. In addition he also agreed with the KKK and he even met with KKK members and leaders to help further ethnocentric separatism. Many black panthers and black power radicals participated in such because Afrocentrists and black separatists are no different then white supremacists. They supported each other and move all people and society backwards. Sigh smh

Old 07-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey3131 View Post
It's kinda funny you say "most americans" would make an assumption as to what Lenny Kravitz racial background would be. Of course most Americans would say he's black just as every human being on planet earth would including you. Had he not became famous and his background not been well documented would you have said he is Jewish also upon initial sight? Of course not.
Jewish is not a race. Jewish people come in all colors and shades

Old 07-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
They tend to be really hateful of Black Americans when the move to the states. Yet I've recently noticed they have there a handful of black dominican playing prominent roles as black americans in tv and movies. Like you have this one dominican girl playing Nina Simone. A DOMINICAN PLAYING NINA SIMONE! A proud Black woman! And they have her are putting makeup to make her look darker (aka BLACKFACE!) It's insane and racist. Let a Black person play a prominent dominican as star role a movie and see how they react.

Look at this?

How can they be serious?
Zoe Saldana seems to get flack no matter what. When she played the lead role in Colombiana, some people said "why is a black person playing a Colombian", and that she is not a Latina but people are ignorant and don't seem to realize that she actually is 100% Latina.

Plus as we all know or many of us know, there are many blacks and Afrodescendants in Latin America pure and mixed.

Zoe identifies as black. So it isn't a stretch. At the same time she is also Latina.

This **** does not have to be so damn complicated

Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I found this document where DNA tests were done on various populations and these were the findings for the average person in each population. The typical Dominicans seems quite mixed to me:

The same document also has DNA findings for African Americans (on average, AA's tend to inherit 70%-80% of their genes from their African ancestors), so basically the average AA is considerably blacker than a typical Dominican, since on average they tend to be less than half black and usually have more white blood than black in them. I think this explains why so many AA's have issues with Dominicans since the latter often take a more mixed race identity while AA's take more of a black identity.

To me it makes perfect sense that each group identifies as they do given their genetic realities. These results don't surprise me at all. I have seen plenty of Dominicans and plenty of African Americans and on average, Dominicans appear quite mixed, more so than a typical African American.

I say mixed people should be allowed to take a mixed identity if that is what they want. After all they are not denying anything when its their reality.

Here's the document with DNA data on many populations worldwide: http://www.dnatribes.com/dnatribes-s...2012-03-12.pdf
That's a flawed statement because Dominicans are a nationality group. African Americans are an sub set / ethnic group of U.S. Americans.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Sir, you come off as colorstruck and as a closet White Supremacist. You buy in to the notion that light skinned equals beauty when there are PLENTY of lightskinned people that are hideous. And many African Americans are just mixed as Dominicans. There are 10 million Dominicans an 45 million Black Americans. Millions of us are phenotypically mulattoes as well. And plenty of Dominicans are unattractive. Everything I've said about latinos you proved to be true in that last post. I don't care if Dominicans consider themselves Martians. They getting over on the hard fought earn gains of Black Americans. They come to America thinking the are better that Blacks when they bring nothing to the table. The movie is about the struggle of a Darkskinned Black women. Why on earth would pick an Dominican other than to be spiteful. She should remove herself from this role and future roles where an Black American is required. Tell her to make about Dominican self hatred and leave us alone.

I guess this mixed Dominican tired turning himself into a lightskinned Black person (lol)

African American
Isn't Smokey Robinson bi-racial?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Not all Dominicans are Afro-Caribbean. There are mixed Ameridian-Spanish Dominicans. And there are pure White Dominicans. And being of Afro-descent doesn't eliminate you from being Latin-American. If you come from a Spanish-speaking country, you're a Latin-American. Latino isn't really a race, it's an identification of the origins of the primary language of that country. Technically, anyone from any country in which the primary language derives primarily from the Romance-Latin languages, than they can be clasified as a "Latino" or as "Latin-American". French, Portugese, Spanish, Castilian-Spanish, Italian are all primarily derived from Latin. Well, I may be incorrect, if I am, feel free to correct me.
Being Afro-Caribbean and being black Caribbean DO NOT mean the same thing.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I never said what I think about this. All I said is that many people out there see mixed people as more attractive than the much more African types. This is clearly noticeable in the media too, especially among African Americans.

On average Dominicans tend to be much more mixed than AA's.

Don't know what this has to do with anything.

I know this.

Not really because I'm not even Latino. All that is shining through is whatever agenda you have.

It doesn't seem like it to me.

I agree with you on this.

I don't know about this.

The problem is that the people that hired her are not Dominicans. This is why I don't understand why you are taking this out on her or on Dominicans. She was given that role either by a white American or an African American or (insert culture/identity/ethnicity here)-American.

Direct your anger at the direction where the problem actually lies. Its your own countrymen that are choosing foreigners over your own people.

Just like Michael Jackson. lol

From what I have investigated, he's back to his normal color and his kids were always as dark as they were when they were born and he was seen with them in public.

That's not quite how it happened with Michael Jackson who went as far as getting plastic surgery to get rid of his African facial features and even adopted white kids out of fear his natural kids would not look white. Then there are many other sad people such as Lil' Kim.

Anyway, most Dominicans don't look like the natural Sosa, but most AA's certainly do look similar to the natural Jackson. In the same manner, a minority -but relatively large- of Dominicans are black and a minority of African Americans are conspicuously mixed.

I'm not even Dominican and even I can see that some people have an agenda against them.
The natural Michael Jackson looks mixed.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I'm sorry, but I am from South Florida and If you see a black person in South Florida they are probably Haitian. I look back and see zero cultural similarities between Haitians and the Spanish/Portuguese former colonies peoples.

Also, very few Haitians speak French. Creole, which they speak, isn't even mutually intelligible with French because of all the African loan words in the language (half of Haitians can't read or write either language). I can totally tell when someone is speaking Creole versus French. Perhaps you have seen the movie Taken 2, where in the beginning there is a man speaking Creole. The friend I was watching the movie with thought the guy was speaking French but I corrected him that it was Creole. Sure enough, the movie confirmed it a few seconds later. It has a very distinct sound.
Have you ever been to Haiti? And actually Haitian Creole language is mostly French lexified. It's not even very African influenced. It's predominantly French based. Many people that speak French can make out what a Haitian Creole speaker is saying, especially of you listen closely.

Haitians have a lot in common with Latin America. Many Haitians can understand French. French is the national and official language when it comes to schools and government. Haitians that are educated or went to grade school will know French. Haitian Creole is more widely spoken of course as it has become a national symbol of course.

Most Haitians are traditionally Roman Catholic.

And South Florida is not only Haitians. There are Cubans, Colombians, other Latinos and even Caribbean peoples etc.

There are black Hispanics in South Florida as well.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I am from South Florida and If you see a black person in South Florida they are probably Haitian. I look back and see zero cultural similarities between Haitians and the Spanish/Portuguese former colonies peoples.

Also, very few Haitians speak French. Creole, which they speak, isn't even mutually intelligible with French because of all the African loan words in the language (half of Haitians can't read or write either language). I can totally tell when someone is speaking Creole versus French. Perhaps you have seen the movie Taken 2, where in the beginning there is a man speaking Creole. The friend I was watching the movie with thought the guy was speaking French but I corrected him that it was Creole. Sure enough, the movie confirmed it a few seconds later. It has a very distinct sound.
And not all Haitians are black

Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:

And since when did being black and being Hispanic/Latino become mutually exclusive? There are a lot of Spanish speaking people that look black. Hispanic and Latino is NOT a race
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas