Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How much kinship do Filipinos feel towards indonesians? Both are diverse and multi-ethnic, but they have many obvious similarities. How do the two relate to each other? How do they differ in personality? I know the culture differences, religion and food being the main ones. I think Javanaese and Sumatrans as being 'typical' Indonesians, while those from Luzon are 'typical' Filipinos. How similar is Bahasa Indonesia and Tagalog in your experience?
That I don't know. I just watch and see Indonesian culture in the videos as I haven't been to their country but listening to Bahasa example videos hmm I don't understand much but few words I get a little bit. I know we shared some food like those rice cakes etc. but other food items not. I am from Northern Luzon, mixture of Ilocano, Tagalog and Pangasinense is my native ethnic.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
That I don't know. I just watch and see Indonesian culture in the videos as I haven't been to their country but listening to Bahasa example videos hmm I don't understand much but few words I get a little bit. I know we shared some food like those rice cakes etc. but other food items not. I am from Northern Luzon, mixture of Ilocano, Tagalog and Pangasinense is my native ethnic.
So there aren't many Indonesians in Manila? In Singapore you see a lot of Filipino and Indonesian maids and increasingly other workers. They can be quite a friendly people. A lot of Indonesian culture, especially the food, is familiar to me. Malaysia and Indonesia shares a lot of cuisine, nasi dishes (nasi is rice), ayam (chicken), like nasi goreng, mee goreng, ayam kapitan/kopitam, kueh lapis (layer cake), otak otak (fish paste), satay, beef rendang, gado gado. Fried chicken, fried fish and sambal (chilli shrimp paste) is one thing that seems to define Indonesian cuisine, lol.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
So there aren't many Indonesians in Manila? In Singapore you see a lot of Filipino and Indonesian maids and increasingly other workers. They can be quite a friendly people. A lot of Indonesian culture, especially the food, is familiar to me. Malaysia and Indonesia shares a lot of cuisine, nasi dishes (nasi is rice), ayam (chicken), like nasi goreng, mee goreng, ayam kapitan/kopitam, kueh lapis (layer cake), otak otak (fish paste), satay, beef rendang, gado gado. Fried chicken, fried fish and sambal (chilli shrimp paste) is one thing that seems to define Indonesian cuisine, lol.
I haven't met any Indonesian in Manila, well maybe they are because physically, some Indonesian may look like Filipinos. Maybe, most of them is in the area where they can easily at home for those Muslim Indonesian maybe from the South. Which is visible is the Indians, lol in the Philippines.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I haven't met any Indonesian in Manila, well maybe they are because physically, some Indonesian may look like Filipinos. Maybe, most of them is in the area where they can easily at home for those Muslim Indonesian maybe from the South. Which is visible is the Indians, lol in the Philippines.
Interesting there are a lot of Indians there, I wonder why. I'm noticing more of them in Thailand too. I wonder if there are many in Indonesia.

I'm surprised there aren't more Indonesians in the UAE since they're Muslim. There are more Filipinos.

I guess the Filipino love of pork probably doesn't bode well for Indos either lol.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Interesting there are a lot of Indians there, I wonder why. I'm noticing more of them in Thailand too. I wonder if there are many in Indonesia.

I'm surprised there aren't more Indonesians in the UAE since they're Muslim. There are more Filipinos.

I guess the Filipino love of pork probably doesn't bode well for Indos either lol.
Yeah, but we get along with some Arabs lol even if we are different but we don't talk about religion.
I guess if we will just respect each other it won't be a problem. Well there are times I ask question and they ask also in terms of religion like Maryam and Mary for example. but it doesn't go to an argument though.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but we get along with some Arabs lol even if we are different but we don't talk about religion.
I guess if we will just respect each other it won't be a problem.
I didn't see much pinoy food in Dubai. I guess so much of it has pork too.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
So you feel "Hispanic" because of your religion and "culture", I could claim that I feel semitic because of my religion but we don't claim to be semites because we're not.

I don't see Caribbean people claiming to be British even though they share the same religion,language and similar cultures.

I don't really think Filipino culture is that similar to Spanish culture, they seem really distinct.

I don't think it would be fair to call Spanish colonization and atrocities a "contribution", that's like showing off a hickey you got from an abusive un-consensual relationship , why take pride in that?
LOL, this again. This thread isn't asking if Filipinos are Spanish, it's asking if they're HISPANIC. It's completely different from saying Caribbean people, Indians, Pakistanis, Singaporeans, Malays, etc etc etc are British. That's a nationality/ethnicity. Nobody is saying that Filipinos are Spanish. But they're definitely at least partially Hispanic, because their culture is influenced by Spain and Mexico. If you want to make up a term for all the peoples who were under British influence, go ahead and make one up. It would be the British equivalent to "Hispanic"

Old 12-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I didn't see much pinoy food in Dubai. I guess so much of it has pork too.
Well here Filipino food is much expensive than Indian food it's because there's only few Filipino restaurant. Pork is available in my area. In some Filipino Restaurant they don't put in the menu the pork dishes because there are some Non-Catholics or local eat Filipino food. So you'll just ask those people working about it if you want some pork BBQ, Lechon Kawali etc.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Quote:
So you feel "Hispanic" because of your religion and "culture", I could claim that I feel semitic because of my religion but we don't claim to be semites because we're not.

I don't see Caribbean people claiming to be British even though they share the same religion,language and similar cultures.

I don't really think Filipino culture is that similar to Spanish culture, they seem really distinct.

I don't think it would be fair to call Spanish colonization and atrocities a "contribution", that's like showing off a hickey you got from an abusive un-consensual relationship , why take pride in that?
They may seem distinct to you, but unless you're part of one of those cultures, you can't really make that call. I'm Filipino and I've been to Spain and Mexico. I felt very at home in those places and I could see and "feel" cultural similarities everywhere. Also, I know a few Colombians and Venezuelans who lived in the Philippines for half a year and a year. Of course they had a big culture shock, but they also talked about how many similarities they found and how they felt like they were reconnecting with "long lost relatives." Maybe when you're abroad and you see a bunch of Filipinos you think "oh, they're just normal Asians, nothing Hispanic about them" But if you actually spend time in a Hispanic or Latin American country and the Philippines, you will see the similarities. If Filipinos spoke Spanish, we'd be 100% Hispanic. The fact that we don't speak Spanish makes us semi-Hispanic.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:22 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:

How familiar are you with Spanish and Filipino culture ?
Do you know our cultural and religious festivities ?

We practice Fiestas everywhere in the Philippines all through out the year
We celebrate Semana Santa ( procession of images that was taken from Spain and reenactment of the crucifixion of the Lord taken from Mexico
We celebrate Christmas and we do Misa de Gallo ( 9 consecutive days of Novena similar to Mexico )
We eat Paella ( Spain's national food ) and in fact, we already consider it our own.
Spanish Foods that became Filipino foods -- Caldereta, Afritada, Cocido, Embutido, Lengua Estufada, Pastel de Pollo, Menudo, Tamales , Ensaimada, Mamon, Pastillas de Leche, Yemas, Crema de Fruta, Tocino del Cielo, Flan de Leche, Polvoron, Turones de Mani etc.
Our symbol is Lechon which is present all over Latin America and was introduced by Spain to all of it's colonies but became our national symbol
Our national desert is Flan de Leche ( Leche Flan ) taken from Spain

We play Jai Alai which is also a favourite in Spain

We have Debut which is Quincinera in Latin America ( big party for an 18 yr. old girl to be introduced to the society

We have Pinata in our birthdays as well

If you listen to our old Filipino songs, they sound so much like Mexican songs

Mexican old dance are similar to Filipino old dance

I am glad we are Catholic. I can't imagine having a different religion and not celebrating Christmas.
I am glad I have a Spanish surname. I won't be so happy having native surname.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia