Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
So your non belief is so weak you cannot even admit it is possible. I am glad at least that my beliefs are strong.
I choose reason and facts over delusional fairy tales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM

707 posts, read 687,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Google it, for I will not waste my time on the closed minded that cleave to ancient ignorance with the tenacity of a pit bull with a pork chop.
Very cute, however I'm not one prone to putting my faith in Google.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I choose reason and facts over delusional fairy tales.
Well there are no facts either way. So logic does dictate it is possible.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 AM

[quote=kenshi;23327829]There are certainly more like you, people who think God changed their life. I know some personally. When it comes down to it though, they can't prove that God did anything for them though except give them a warm, fuzzy feeling in their heart and that's really the belief in God that did that. I had a warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart when I was a child and believed in Santa Claus.[quote]

I guess when it happens to you then you feel differently.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Nope. When there are no facts either way, logic dictates that no -one knows what is or is not possible and logic then dictates that one should NOT believe any claim until there are facts. If you want to be logical about it, that's what you should do.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,500 times
Quote:
Possible is irrelevant.

It's 'possible' triceratops aren't extinct.
It's 'possible' Apollo exists.
It's 'possible' a kraken lives in Lake Superior.

That's what 'possible' gets you.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Nope. When there are no facts either way, logic dictates that no -one knows what is or is not possible and logic then dictates that one should NOT believe any claim until there are facts. If you want to be logical about it, that's what you should do.
I guess that is where we differ. So is it possible there is life elsewhere in the universe? According to you there isn't because there is no proof or facts. But according to my logic it is possible.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Possible is irrelevant.

It's 'possible' triceratops aren't extinct.
It's 'possible' Apollo exists.
It's 'possible' a kraken lives in Lake Superior.

That's what 'possible' gets you.

I guess if you don't want to put ANY thought into it. But logic does not rule out our emotions and our brain.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,500 times
Quote:
I guess if you don't want to put ANY thought into it. But logic does not rule out our emotions and our brain.
Well, if your emotions lead to you think a kraken is in Lake Superior, then that should be a lesson to you to apply some logic to your world.

And if your emotions tell you that its okay to ignore logic for things that give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside 'cause you really, really, really want them to be so, then all I have for you is pity. I tried logic, but we both knew you wouldn't have anything to do with that.

There's no difference between a kraken and your deity -- both lack any compelling evidence. So you want to believe in the one that makes you feel good. Go for it -- just don't delude yourself into thinking that anyone else should apply such an absurd excuse for judging why or why not a thing is so.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Well, if your emotions lead to you think a kraken is in Lake Superior, then that should be a lesson to you to apply some logic to your world.

And if your emotions tell you that its okay to ignore logic for things that give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside 'cause you really, really, really want them to be so, then all I have for you is pity. I tried logic, but we both knew you wouldn't have anything to do with that.

There's no difference between a kraken and your deity -- both lack any compelling evidence. So you want to believe in the one that makes you feel good. Go for it -- just don't delude yourself into thinking that anyone else should apply such an absurd excuse for judging why or why not a thing is so.
Evidence is a very poor judge if something exists or not. Just think about a few hundred years ago to now and see what things have been discovered. Those things obviously have always been there, like the atom, for example. So what new discoveries are still out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism