Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:03 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I have no idea where you got any of this. Where did I say blocking a car is bad, but a playground is good. I think I've bene pretty clear. It's really not as hard as you're making it. In 99% of cases, you simply get them to move. You don't have to restrain them or put them behind bars. If they repeatedly refuse, or become violent, then you can charge them with trespassing. And only in that case would you have to resort to "locked minimum security involuntary shelters", which sound almost exactly like "jail".

People sleeping under a bridge or in an alley or on an empty lot are not causing anyone any harm, as long as they are keeping to themselves and not leaving a mess. I see zero reason they should be forced into jai...sorry "minimum security shelters".
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I have no idea where you got any of this. Where did I say blocking a car is bad, but a playground is good. I think I've bene pretty clear. It's really not as hard as you're making it. In 99% of cases, you simply get them to move. You don't have to restrain them or put them behind bars. If they repeatedly refuse, or become violent, then you can charge them with trespassing. And only in that case would you have to resort to "locked minimum security involuntary shelters", which sound almost exactly like "jail".

People sleeping under a bridge or in an alley or on an empty lot are not causing anyone any harm, as long as they are keeping to themselves and not leaving a mess. I see zero reason they should be forced into jai...sorry "minimum security shelters".
So now you don't want to enforce trespassing laws if they are on private property? If someone starts setting up camp in your yard or front door step every night the police do nothing about it?

How do you decide when they are not causing harm to anyone? The person sleeping in your front yard is not harming anyone. The person sleeping in your child's favorite play structure is not harming anyone.

And yes, "minimum security shelters" are a form of jail. The main difference from other minimum security jails is that people can stay their voluntarily too in order to get access to shelter, food, water, healthcare, and other services.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:54 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
So now you don't want to enforce trespassing laws if they are on private property? If someone starts setting up camp in your yard or front door step every night the police do nothing about it?
Wouldn't having the police enforce trespassing laws be at the discretion of the owner of said private property?

Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Quote:
I found someone sleeping in my yard when I lived in an old house in Roswell. I made them food, and told them that they were safe sleeping on my property.

I think it’s vulgar for people who live in excess to deny the shelterless a place to sleep. I realize you want your monetary investment in Downtown to pay off but that doesn’t make it okay for you to lock up all of the impoverished people who have lived there longer than you.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:56 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:

How do you decide when they are not causing harm to anyone? The person sleeping in your front yard is not harming anyone. The person sleeping in your child's favorite play structure is not harming anyone.

And yes, "minimum security shelters" are a form of jail. The main difference from other minimum security jails is that people can stay their voluntarily too in order to get access to shelter, food, water, healthcare, and other services.
You are apparently not comprehending any of what I have written. I cannot continue to debate with someone who refuses to even try to comprehend words. If what you have gotten out of my statements is that we shouldn't enforce trespassing laws or that only causing harm is a reason to deal with people, then you aren't even trying to understand. Which, I mean, is par for the course. But still...wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Wouldn't having the police enforce trespassing laws be at the discretion of the owner of said private property?
Pretty much exactly what I have said, but this is apparently a circus tent of funhouse mirrors and flawed logic.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I found someone sleeping in my yard when I lived in an old house in Roswell. I made them food, and told them that they were safe sleeping on my property.

I think it’s vulgar for people who live in excess to deny the shelterless a place to sleep. I realize you want your monetary investment in Downtown to pay off but that doesn’t make it okay for you to lock up all of the impoverished people who have lived there longer than you.
I am quite happy you decided to provide for someone sleeping in your yard. I'd encourage you to do it more and for more people. Of course you might find that your local municipality has made it illegal for you to operate a shelter. I know some people that are involved with a great organization that have been trying to house abused women in your area that are having to fight all sort of legal battles with NIMBYs in that area that don't want that.

And actually, exactly what I am proposing is giving everyone access to shelter. Don't turn your nose up at the value of food, water, shelter, and healthcare just because it is labeled "jail" or "minimum security shelters".

Also, I'd wager I live with less "excess" than you do, so get off your high horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Yep. Do you not think property owners should have that right?

And still, none of y'all are clarifying where the line should be for someone to get removed from camping on public property. "Doing no harm" could apply to about everyone. Including someone sleeping in the street in front of your driveway, or your child's favorite play structure.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:46 AM

651 posts, read 476,343 times
Quote:
I am quite happy you decided to provide for someone sleeping in your yard. I'd encourage you to do it more and for more people. Of course you might find that your local municipality has made it illegal for you to operate a shelter. I know some people that are involved with a great organization that have been trying to house abused women in your area that are having to fight all sort of legal battles with NIMBYs in that area that don't want that.

And actually, exactly what I am proposing is giving everyone access to shelter. Don't turn your nose up at the value of food, water, shelter, and healthcare just because it is labeled "jail" or "minimum security shelters".

Also, I'd wager I live with less "excess" than you do, so get off your high horse.

Yep. Do you not think property owners should have that right?

And still, none of y'all are clarifying where the line should be for someone to get removed from camping on public property. "Doing no harm" could apply to about everyone. Including someone sleeping in the street in front of your driveway, or your child's favorite play structure.

I feel more people would have respect for you and your argument if you just admitted you wanted to lock people up for being homeless. All the doubletalk and word salad to justify jailing people on the street is making you look even more despicable by the post.

It doesn’t matter what you call it - jail or “minimum security whatever “; you are still forcibly LOCKING PEOPLE UP FOR BEING HOMELESS. Where are they supposed to sleep JSVH? How about giving real options first before throwing them in jail?

This all or nothing approach sounds oddly similar to your anti-car rants with you wanting to toll before giving real options. Really off.

We know you own investment property in town. We know you have an agenda.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:29 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Quote:

I spent 100 nights living out of a Nissan Sentra in 2015. I seriously doubt you know what it’s like to live with so little.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
I feel more people would have respect for you and your argument if you just admitted you wanted to lock people up for being homeless. All the doubletalk and word salad to justify jailing people on the street is making you look even more despicable by the post.

It doesn’t matter what you call it - jail or “minimum security whatever “; you are still forcibly LOCKING PEOPLE UP FOR BEING HOMELESS. Where are they supposed to sleep JSVH? How about giving real options first before throwing them in jail?

This all or nothing approach sounds oddly similar to your anti-car rants with you wanting to toll before giving real options. Really off.

We know you own investment property in town. We know you have an agenda.
Oh, you think I am dancing around saying we should put the homeless in jail? I am not. We should put them in jail. But it still has to be done within the rule of law.

Where are people supposed to sleep? In jail / "minimum security shelters" where they are provided with food, water, shelter, and healthcare.

That "investment property" downtown is my home, thank you very much. Me and my neighbors downtown do far more for the homeless in the metro than any of your neighborhoods. How about y'all start by even making it legal for a homeless shleter to open in your neighborhood in the suburbs so so much of the burden is not on one small neighborhood.

Y'all stop with your false offense. You are not offering real solutions. You don't see these people in your neighborhood everyday. You don't talk to them everyday and realize there are major issues these people are going through.

No, all you do is turn your nose up at the word "jail". What is your solution? The status quo is failing these people big time. My suggestion gets everyone access to shelter, food, water, healthcare and other services.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I spent 100 nights living out of a Nissan Sentra in 2015. I seriously doubt you know what it’s like to live with so little.
Oh, you had a car? Must have been nice. I still don't have a car.

Kidding, sounds like you have had plenty of challenges that surpass mine and I am thankful for how good of a life I have had. But I hope we all can still find a better solutions for those out there facing greater difficulties than both of us ever have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta