Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Where I think Charlotte will make greater progress than Atlanta in the long run is in the area of mass transit. A great part of this is because North Carolina treats Charlotte much, much better than Georgia treats Atlanta. I believe this is partially due to North Carolina have three 1 million+ metro regions scattered across the state, while Georgia has the behemoth Atlanta at 5 million+, and the next metro area behind it (Augusta) is 10 times smaller. Thus, southern Georgia politicians in particular are often ignorant of the unique issues that urban issues face.

Really they have wont get rail service to you guys airport till 2030 an dby then I am pretty sure Marta would have expanded by then with more Heavy rail and not light.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
All I can say it that since I have been living in Charlotte, I haven't necessarily had an extreme need to once again live in Atlanta. This doesn't make Atlanta a bad city, it is still very attractive when compared to a lot other cities. I just don't feel like I am missing anything that I cannot get in Charlotte.

It's amazing how people ignore Atlanta's traffic issue just to defend its status over Charlotte.......

I guess my thought on this is, if Charlotte weren't a threat to Atlanta, then people wouldn't be asking the question "Atlanta or Charlotte?".....Just saying...

Well, you have to look at the people who are asking the question...they aren't usually from Atlanta. The OP of this thread was by someone from Maryland.

No one is ignoring Atlanta's traffic...but I think a lot of people are tired of always having to talk about it when there are so many other Atlanta topics we could discuss (good and bad). Anyway, the situation has improved a great deal over the past few years - Atlanta isn't in the top 10 worst traffic cities any longer.

Sitting in traffic is for amateurs...there are too many ways to avoid traffic to be sitting in it very often.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 05-07-2009 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
All I can say it that since I have been living in Charlotte, I haven't necessarily had an extreme need to once again live in Atlanta. This doesn't make Atlanta a bad city, it is still very attractive when compared to a lot other cities. I just don't feel like I am missing anything that I cannot get in Charlotte.

It's amazing how people ignore Atlanta's traffic issue just to defend its status over Charlotte.......

I guess my thought on this is, if Charlotte weren't a threat to Atlanta, then people wouldn't be asking the question "Atlanta or Charlotte?".....Just saying...

WHo care about traffic that doent make a break Atlanta status as a beta world city. There are over 5 million people in Atlanta. of course there is going to be major traffic, DO you know how many people work in the downtown area during the day, You have to think about all the big buisness districts in Atlanta to figure out why there is so much traffic. Theres traffic in Houston Dallas LA. D.C etc whats your point. You just like being in a less congested city thats all but whne charlotte gets large and congested i guess you are going to be moving again. The guy who started this thread wanted to move to either city not knowing anything about both. Atlanta would Never be threatened because everything Atlanta has done years ago charlotte is just now doing it.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Well analyzed.

Yes, at this point in my life Charlotte works for me. However, if I want to go out on the town, I know where to go. There are many transplants constantly promoting new events in Charlotte. The last event was "Playdate." This event did well in Atlanta, but had record breaking numbers in Charlotte.

Thats because there nothing else to do there. If anything new hits that city of course there going go nuts. Atlanta has been getting some of the largest events for years you should know that.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:26 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Atlantic station is not a outdoor mall
What is an outdoor mall anyway?

Atlantic Station is a brownfield redevelopment site that, despite opinions of the quality and success, became a national model for sustainable development and smart growth. The area went from being an abandoned steel mill sitting on contaminated soil to a shopping, dining, entertainment, residential destination. It's a little bit more than an "outdoor mall".

Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
Quote:
...Atlantic station is a better development, with better restaurants trendy stores and bars thanks
What's the name of some of the bars in Atlantic Station? Particularly the trendy ones?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,621,258 times
Is this really a comparison? Atlanta has advantages over Charlotte in nearly every category. Even when riding down 1-85 you can see which city is clearly larger. Charlotte city limits may have more people than Atlanta's but so does Louisville, Memphis, Jacksonville, and Nashville. A better comparison for Charlotte would be Nashville IMO because Atlanta is on another level.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
This traffic thing people keep complaining about is odd to me.I live downtown so i usually do not deal with traffic anymore.We all agree traffic is bad but its bad in every major city.In each city their are some areas where you deal with traffic less than in other areas.It sucks everywhere.People keep talking quality of life but just because there is less traffic does not make it better.

My quality of life has to include a combination of great cultural venues,the ability to go to eat at a top rated restaurant(on occasion),be surrounded by intelligent well traveled and diverse people,to be able (if I so choose)to go on a direct flight to almost anywhere in world without stopping on connecting flights and also to be able to live near a subway station where I can get to quickly and get to most parts of the city.

I know Atlanta is not NYC,San Fran,or Boston,but you can get the near or exact quality of things that major cities get.Usually its not hard to find as such quality events as it is in Charlotte.Those things may not be as important to you as they are to me.That's okay."Different strokes for different folks."However if the argument is "which is the better city on the basis of what makes a great city using the criteria that is used to judge the great cites of the world,then Atlanta wins easily when matched with Charlotte.

Certain things you just accept living in a metropolitan city.Things that are both good and bad.No it does not mean you have to settle just means that some things have a less importance than others.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
What's the name of some of the bars in Atlantic Station? Particularly the trendy ones?
There is one bar that I went to one night but i cannot remember the name.There is also a very upscale bowling alley called Ten Pin Alley that has a nice lounge downstairs with a dance floor where some nights are crowded with people dancing to Salsa and Meringue.Their is also the lounge called the Lobby at The Twelve hotel and residences.The Fox Sports grill is also popular for drinks and watching sports.Geisha House is always having celebrity events and I think dancing as well.There maybe more but that all I can think of at the top of my head.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,182 times
Quote:
Theres traffic in Houston Dallas LA. D.C etc whats your point. You just like being in a less congested city thats all but whne charlotte gets large and congested i guess you are going to be moving again.
I agree with this. I have been to these places many times and I think the traffic is just as bad. I don't understand why people only talk about Atlanta's traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta