Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 09:18 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietstormP View Post
Are people selecting Tim Duncan solely over longevity?

I will probably revise my top ten. I really want to go off just pure skill. Durant will be in the top ten. No player has the skill talent he has.

The triple double over a season was just too awesome and rare. Amongst all these great players in the NBA none have done that prior to Westbrook. You have many greats that consider Oscar the best ever. I myself lived in Chicago area during the Jordan area before moving to Virginia. I loved Mike. I probably should put Mike over him.

Russell was a booboo I moved him down the list and removed him totally. Getting 10 in is hard.
Tim won 5 titles as one of the main leaders on his team.
For 2 decade's he's been at the top in the toughest conference we probably ever seen in the west. 2000 - 2012 was brutal out west and it's still tough competition today.
His numbers speak for themselves.

Bill Russell won 11 as the leader as well.Winning chips as one of the top guys on your team gotta hold some weight man.We judge role players like Horry and Kukoc differently but the leaders are the biggest reason for victory.

If KD wins 2 or 3 more titles than yes he's probably top 10 at the end of his career.Same thing for Steph because he's the actual engine behind Golden state.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:16 PM

47 posts, read 49,853 times
What actually makes a player worthy of top ten? Rings, stats, skill, longevity, consistent last seconds heroics?

I think a lot of people look at rings, stats and skill in that order. What about how they the game evolutionized the game of basketball as another deciding factor.

I am going to use a scoring system. 5/5 means all requirements are meant.
My top ten list focus on
1.skill
2.heroics
3.impact on the game of basketball
4.longevity of consistent stats over the career and
5.rings.

1. Michael Jordan 5/5 (skilled I gave it to him. 2-5 he dominated)
2. Hakeem Olajuwon 5/5 (I almost put him #1)
3. Kobe Bryant 5/5
4. Wilt Chamberlin 4/5 (Heroics unknown)
5. Steph Curry 4/5 (needs a 2 more seasons at current level)
6. Magic Johnson 4/5 (Heroics unknown)
7. Bill Russell 4/5 (Heroics unknown)
8. Larry Bird 4/5 (Heroics unknown)
9. Kareem Abdul Jabbar 4/5 (4th quarter heroics*).
10. Kevin Durant 4/5 (one ring)

Just missed: John Stockton, Tim Duncan, Steve Nash (not the prototype 2time MVP), Dirk Nowitzki(he carried his team to a ship), Oscar Robertson, Dewayne Wade,

Lebron James 3/5. He did not make this list because his game is based on purely athleticism. He is not going to be remembered for 4th quarter heroics.

*I was very young when he played basketball. I knew who he was that was about it.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:38 PM

526 posts, read 386,418 times
Quote:
What actually makes a player worthy of top ten? Rings, stats, skill, longevity, consistent last seconds heroics?

I think a lot of people look at rings, stats and skill in that order. What about how they the game evolutionized the game of basketball as another deciding factor.

My top ten list focus on
1.skill
2.heroics
5.rings.

3. Kobe Bryant 5/5
6. Magic Johnson 4/5 (Heroics unknown) Heroics Unknown? lol
8. Larry Bird 4/5 (Heroics unknown) Heroics Unknown? lol, just plain silly

Just missed: John Stockton, Tim Duncan, Steve Nash (not the prototype 2time MVP), Dirk Nowitzki(he carried his team to a ship), Oscar Robertson, Dewayne Wade,

Lebron James 3/5. He did not make this list because his game is based on purely athleticism. - This automatically disqualifies you from any future basketball discussions. Hate the player all you want for whatever reasons you want, but to deny LBJ's basketball IQ is the height of stupidity. His passing, defense and rebounding alone put him in the top 20 players of all time. He is not going to be remembered for 4th quarter heroics. - The only people on your list above Lebron in terms of clutch, what you call heroics, are MJ, Kobe, Magic and Bird. The others are not as heroic as LBJ.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/bas...s-of-all-time/

*I was very young when he played basketball. I knew who he was that was about it.

Know how I know you actually don't know that much about basketball?

Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 AM

526 posts, read 386,418 times
Quote:

My top ten list focus on
1.skill
2.heroics
5.rings.

3. Kobe Bryant 5/5
6. Magic Johnson 4/5 (Heroics unknown)
8. Larry Bird 4/5 (Heroics unknown)

Lebron James 3/5. He did not make this list because his game is based on purely athleticism. He is not going to be remembered for 4th quarter heroics.

City Data even censors the "f" word in direct messages, too funny. I would have never known that if it weren't for your kind and well thought out (and brief succinct to the point) message to me.

Reading the "heroics unknown" stuff behind Bird and Magic has me even more dumbfounded toady. I'm like a cow staring at a fence post when looking at this drivel.

Still, this is your dumbest statement by far "Lebron James 3/5. He did not make this list because his game is based on purely athleticism. He is not going to be remembered for 4th quarter heroics".

Jesus Christ.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:38 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Since this is becoming just another in a long line of endless bickering "I love my guys... I hate your guys" thread, I'm picking ANY TEN of the Harlem Globetrotters over anyone else's ten.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:33 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
Quiet storm makes some good points, and he didn't just not mention Lebron at all. As far as Lebron's basketball IQ, playing a certain way for 3 quarters and then all the sudden changing up the play in the 4th quarter is a major issue. The 4th quarter should be the time to take over and not defer. That along with the heart and killer instinct are what keep Lebron from being ranked higher. Shaq also lacked in heart and easily could've been better with more effort.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
top 10 that I care about

George Mikan
Connie Hawkins
Elgin Baylor
Kevin Garnett
Vern Mikkelsen
Jim Pollard
Myer Skoog
Slater Martin
Clyde Lovelette
Ndudi Ebi

coach; Sid Hartman

Old 07-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Quiet storm makes some good points, and he didn't just not mention Lebron at all. As far as Lebron's basketball IQ, playing a certain way for 3 quarters and then all the sudden changing up the play in the 4th quarter is a major issue. The 4th quarter should be the time to take over and not defer. That along with the heart and killer instinct are what keep Lebron from being ranked higher. Shaq also lacked in heart and easily could've been better with more effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
City Data even censors the "f" word in direct messages, too funny. I would have never known that if it weren't for your kind and well thought out (and brief succinct to the point) message to me.

Reading the "heroics unknown" stuff behind Bird and Magic has me even more dumbfounded toady. I'm like a cow staring at a fence post when looking at this drivel.

Still, this is your dumbest statement by far "Lebron James 3/5. He did not make this list because his game is based on purely athleticism. He is not going to be remembered for 4th quarter heroics".

Jesus Christ.
I gave the grades based on what I know. I was born in 1984 and I am glad I was. I was not exactly watching Bird & magic. I knew of them, saw them but can't recall details about games, nor have I invested time into watching old film. That's why it reads heroics unknown wise guy. Football I can tell a LOT, I just dabble here and there with basketball. I grade what I know. You grade what you know that is how this works. Type something dissecting not disrespectful insulting. My first last and only post addressing you personally. You got something insulting to say, PM me.

You and I grade differently. Lebron is a driver and probably the best driver of the basketball (minus the traveling). If you say he is more clutch/heroic and skillful that's what you see. That is not what I see. His basketball skills rely heavily on skills on athleticism. Basketball IQ does not equal skill on the court. I can't access his breakdown by quarter but a youtuber made a good points I have seen in Lebron's game too. He is a stat padder. Instead of trying to win the game naturally by making the correct plays he makes sure he gets his stats up. The youtuber said he is a 1st quarter scorer, 2nd quarter passer, I would love to see that breakdown whoever can find it. The first three minutes are things I see in Lebron's game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6aSE5jLHo&t=100s . You all see his questionable lack of aggressiveness. You have caught yourself saying oh why he make that pass. Why didn't he shoot. Why didn't he drive to the hole. There is no other "superstar player" that has lead me to those questions more than Lebron. It's because Lebron has determined to get those stats in. Lebron hater, no just critical of how quickly people have ascended this guy into basketball immortality. I see him for what he is.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
You get it.
Shaq was the same way, Superman was lazy. He could have been better especially with FT effort. Had Iverson Heart and Effort been inside Shaqs body he would be the greatest player ever.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:57 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Tim won 5 titles as one of the main leaders on his team.
For 2 decade's he's been at the top in the toughest conference we probably ever seen in the west. 2000 - 2012 was brutal out west and it's still tough competition today.
His numbers speak for themselves.

Bill Russell won 11 as the leader as well.Winning chips as one of the top guys on your team gotta hold some weight man.We judge role players like Horry and Kukoc differently but the leaders are the biggest reason for victory.

If KD wins 2 or 3 more titles than yes he's probably top 10 at the end of his career.Same thing for Steph because he's the actual engine behind Golden state.
Curry doesn't have the Defense to crack top 10.

That's some RARE air.

HOF...absolutely. But top 10? Durant *maybe*...Curry not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball