Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 10:05 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
People did say that the Pacers were gonna win the series after Game 1 and when they up 2-1. People said that the Raptors were gonna beat the Cave because of the 1 seed, homecourt and better bench. Plus, the Cavs are tired from the 1st Round with Indiana so they were finally gonna get by the Cavs. And, some of them were hoping for it to happen because they want LeBron to leave for a bigger market IMO.
"People did say"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Yeah, people said the Pacers would win but only because the Cavs were making them look so good...and they were totally justified making that pick considering it was basically a tie game in the 4th quarter of game 7. Some people did pick the Raptors because it’s hard to believe a team can be so bad in the playoffs 3-4 years straight.

The east is basically cannon fodder and has been for many years. The real measuring stick for the Cavs will be how they perform in the finals. Not sure Lebron sticks around if they don’t win or at least come extremely close. I doubt he’s down for another round of major roster changes.
"Yeah, people said"

Don't believe the crowd, look at the tape:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I agree. They may still have enough to beat the Rockets.

Houston is real for sure. So is Cleveland. Don't let Game 1 fool you, the road to the Finals still runs through Cleveland in the East (round 2 will be the real ECF, except that the winner may be running out of gas for the formal ECF).

Curry is coming back from injury & won't be 100%. This team is good enough to win with Curry at 80%.

I don't know what the Wiz can do if they end the Wall era. He's close, but not quite there. What can they get for him that makes them a better? If Wall goes, the tank comes. I think they still need shooters.

Rockets/Warriors should be an epic series.

The We Believe Warriors were a long, versatile group led by a basketball genius in Don Nelson. Stack Jack got in Dirk's jersey and bothered him more than anybody else did that year.

Is Chris Paul healthy? The Wolves just aren't good enough.

Utah has a total lack of good wing defenders. That's a problem the Rockets don't have in the 2nd round. If Mitchell is limited by his injury, the Jazz have no chance.
Quote:
I like the Cavs' supporting cast. They've got length & quickness. The team's effort level wasn't there in Game 1. I think it will be now. I'm looking forward to Cleveland-Toronto in Round 2.
Quote:
Every single team would be crazy not to bring on LBJ, if they have the option. He's playing at the highest level of his career and is one of the best ever to play.
For posterity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Simmons looked like a rookie in this series.
He is a rookie, so that makes sense. The wall was bound to come. A midrange jumper off of the dribble would open up the floor so much for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It’s a shame Kyrie isn’t healthy to give Lebron and the Cavs a legitimate fight in the ECF, which may or may not be a possibility again next year. Though I suppose his durability is at least partially what makes Lebron one of the GOAT.
I don't know the Kyrie moves the needle much for the Celtics. Smart is an excellent playoff performer, just doing the right things all game long and stepping up to every challenge before him. Rozier has provided plenty of scoring, and is a much bigger plus on defense than Kyrie. Tatum doesn't need a lot of touches and provides defensive length and versatility. Jaylen Brown's defense is absolutely critical. Who do you take minutes away from to give to Kyrie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Hmm, well let’s see - Shane Larkin was averaging about 15 minutes in the playoffs. I’m pretty sure Kyrie could at least get those minutes and more.

Kyrie puts up 27.3 points per 36 (49% shooting) - Rozier in the playoffs 17.5 points per 36 (42% shooting).

Old 05-10-2018, 10:58 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Hmm, well let’s see - Shane Larkin was averaging about 15 minutes in the playoffs. I’m pretty sure Kyrie could at least get those minutes and more.

Kyrie puts up 27.3 points per 36 (49% shooting) - Rozier in the playoffs 17.5 points per 36 (42% shooting).
Horford, Tatum, and Brown are also scoring more in the playoffs than the regular season. How many shots does each lose if the Cs have Kyrie? How much defense from Rozier, Tatum, Brown, and Smart do the Cs lose? There are 35-38 minutes Kyrie would absorb in the playoffs if healthy. Assume he takes Larkin's then you have another 20 to take away from Brown, Smart, Rozier, and Tatum. Who do you take from?

Old 05-10-2018, 11:24 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Horford, Tatum, and Brown are also scoring more in the playoffs than the regular season. How many shots does each lose if the Cs have Kyrie? How much defense from Rozier, Tatum, Brown, and Smart do the Cs lose? There are 35-38 minutes Kyrie would absorb in the playoffs if healthy. Assume he takes Larkin's then you have another 20 to take away from Brown, Smart, Rozier, and Tatum. Who do you take from?
You could take any 27 ppg scorer off a team and have other players score a little more - doesn’t nessecarily make the team better when they start to face the elite teams. Kyrie is a proven playoff performer (26/5 57% TS%) - I wish the Celtics well but I can definitely see them hitting dry spells where an elite scorer can go get them buckets and keep a game within reach.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:17 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Kyrie Irving out of this series is ABSOLUTELY crucial.

I don't think anyone doubts Kyrie is about as clutch as they come. Rozier is a nice story but I'm not letting him dribble out a clock and shoot over a defender for a game winning bucket. If the Celtics are going to win A game in this series they need to make it an ugly game 90-89 type and it will come down to executing offense or making a big shot or hold your breathe but defending Lebron when he takes the same shot.

More importantly Kyrie's dribble penetration would be a problem for the Cavs to defend. For a recent example Oladipo took advantage of the Cavs. And Yes, the Cavs shut him down at times but it was a concerted/all hands on deck effort. Listen to the postgame responses from the Cavs after each of those games- it was all about Oladipo. They didn't respect any other Pacer. If Bogandovich is gonna make some money on his next contract he needs to show the tape of this series and nevermind his wide open looks. I say this more as I've watch the Regular season Cavs struggle with explosive PGs. When the Cavs are giving playoff effort and paying attention to detail they aren't that bad, but they had a problem all year with PGs.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:46 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
I remember saying if the Pacers didn't win Game 4 and go up 3-1 in the series they would not beat cleveland

Old 05-10-2018, 05:54 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
We've all been waiting for it, and it will come to pass. Interesting to have such a long break for the WCF to start. Lots of players on both teams could probably use the time to rest and heal. The Finals won't be a "snoozer" if you like basketball. The best players playing for the title is what basketball is all about.

The Pels had a successful season, and there is no shame in their loss. They need a 3 & D wing.

The big questions for the WCF:

Can the Warriors guard Harden & Paul without fouling while rotating crisply on Capela and the wings?

Do the Rockets have the flexibility to adjust when the Warriors go fast & long?

Can the Rockets chase Curry & Klay around screens for 7 games?

Can Draymond bang with Capela for 7 games?

Can the Rockets slow the Warriors' transition attack by stopping the ball after Warriors defensive rebounds?

Are the Warriors better than last year? Maybe. They've really turned up the defense in these playoffs--they are playing far and away the best defense in the playoffs. Their offense has been more sluggish than usual--owing first to missing their offensive engine for 6 games and second to missing some open shots (especially KD's bunny 3s that just aren't falling).
A lot of teams need that...in most cases, more than one. It is the direction the league is moving in, and if you dont have at least one, you can hang it up (Im looking at you, too, Portland)

Old 05-10-2018, 06:07 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
I think Boston will pull off the upset.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:00 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I think Boston will pull off the upset.
Don't think so. Cavs in 6.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:13 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
I'm going Boston in 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball