Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 10:59 AM

430 posts, read 835,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here are the figures for 2013 in dollars. From Stats Canada

BC 179
AB 182
SK 140
MB 109
ON 207
QC 247
NB 163
NS 148
PE 152
NL 159
Canada 201
BC below not only Ontario, but below Alberta too? Very surprising.

And what's with Manitoba? Is that the poorest province and they can't afford fish, or are they just really opposed to it?

Old 09-17-2015, 11:34 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post

And what's with Manitoba? Is that the poorest province and they can't afford fish, or are they just really opposed to it?
Who would have guessed that Newfoundlanders eat less fish than Albertans? And it's a more Catholic province to boot.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:34 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here are the figures for 2013 in dollars. From Stats Canada

BC 179
AB 182
SK 140
MB 109
ON 207
QC 247
NB 163
NS 148
PE 152
NL 159
Canada 201
What do those numbers have to do with fish? Are you sayng that people in BC on average spend only $179.00 per year on fish? That would be completely shocking to me, as would all the other numbers.

Quote:

Well, for starters, the Canadian foods here in Manitoba are perogies and holupschi. But we personally eat a lot of fish and the small town where I do the majority of my grocery shopping has a live lobster tank, along with live mussels and crabs, so I don't know about this dead crab thing Botti's was posting about. We can't be the only people eating fresh seafood.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:36 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:

The stats show dollars spent, not product consumed.

I would hypothesize that the cost of seafood is significantly lower where there's a sea to get it from. Instead of say, Alberta or Saskatchewan.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 AM

Well, if those are actual dollars, it wouldn't take into account people who don't buy the majority of their fish, but catch it. My brother-in-law fishes for pickerel and that would be the fish they consume. Maybe in BC in addition to different prices, more people are inclined to fish?

Old 09-17-2015, 11:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
so I don't know about this dead crab thing Botti's was posting about. We can't be the only people eating fresh seafood.
Isn't it true that

1) it is impossible to find live crabs (or fish for that matter) in mainstream Canadian grocery stores? I certainly never saw any at Metro, Sobeys's or Lablaw's.
2) it is hard to find crab (in whole, not in "crab cake") in any Canadian restaurant?

Fish isn't necessarily "Seafood". Crabs grow in fresh water. When was the last time you went to a restaurant and ordered fish (not "fish filet")? The last time I ate fish at a non-Asian place was a Portuguese restaurant. Anglo-Canadians simply don't consume much fish.

on a per capita consumption basis (kg per year):
HelgiLibrary - Fish Consumption Per Capita in*the*Czech*Republic

Canada: 22.3
USA: 21.7
UK: 19.0
Switzerland: 17.4
Germany 14.2

Versus
Vietnam: 33.2
China: 32.8
France: 34.6
Japan: 53.7
Spain: 42.4
Portugal: 56.8
South Korea: 58.1
Hong Kong: 71.1

The fact Canada consumes less fish than much poorer countries with big population such as China and Vietnam shows how reluctant they eat fish. When I was in Lisbon, every single restaurant offer at least 6 kinds of fish dishes (mostly the whole fish, not the deboned filet).

Old 09-17-2015, 12:13 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Isn't it true that

1) it is impossible to find live crabs (or fish for that matter) in mainstream Canadian grocery stores? I certainly never saw any at Metro, Sobeys's or Lablaw's.
2) it is hard to find crab (in whole, not in "crab cake") in any Canadian restaurant?

Fish isn't necessarily "Seafood". Crabs grow in fresh water. When was the last time you went to a restaurant and ordered fish (not "fish filet")? The last time I ate fish at a non-Asian place was a Portuguese restaurant. Anglo-Canadians simply don't consume much fish.

Germany 14.2

Versus

The fact Canada consumes less fish than much poorer countries with big population such as China and Vietnam shows how reluctant they eat fish. When I was in Lisbon, every single restaurant offer at least 6 kinds of fish dishes (mostly the whole fish, not the deboned filet).
I think the issue may be where you live. Toronto does not have a great selection of seafood or fish, both at the restaurant and grocery level. It is one of the weakest areas of its culinary scene but obviously location is a major reason.

I am almost sure that if you walked into your average grocery store in BC you would see a much larger selection of whole fish and live seafood.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:23 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I think the issue may be where you live. Toronto does not have a great selection of seafood or fish, both at the restaurant and grocery level. It is one of the weakest areas of its culinary scene but obviously location is a major reason.
You may argue so, but the truth is, you definitely will find a large live fish section in every Chinese grocery store (such as the well-known T&T) as well plenty of fish dishes in every Chinese restaurant (especially the Cantonese restaurants without fish they can't exist).

I safely conclude that the lack of fish in Toronto stores/restaurants is due to the lack of demand, not supply. Fish or not, Anglo-Canadians still walk straight to the beef section.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:32 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
"Free" healthcare, eh? Mm-hmm. I see.

Yes. Please save us from our ignorance, Suzy.
LOL. You would have to either be on social assistance or possess a sub-par IQ to think Canadian healthcare is "free" by any extent of the imagination. Do these people never consider why supplemental health insurance is a much-coveted employee benefit in this country?

As for "no more Tim Hortons"... Seriously??? Most Canadians I know prefer coffee with actual flavour rather than the overhyped dishwater they serve daily at Timmy Ho's.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Isn't it true that

Germany 14.2

Versus

The Sobeys and the SuperValu in the small town near me have live crab. We don't eat much in restaurants so I really don't know about that. I am a good cook and there are just some things I won't order in restaurants because each time I think I do it better, crab and lobster being two of those things. But I have had whole crab in a restaurant here. I don't recall the name of it right now.
ETA: I'm going grocery shopping shortly, and if I have the time, I'll pop into both those stores here and report back on what is available today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada