Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 04:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Yes! I hope it turns out to be nothing, but I'm glad all the potentially affected areas are taking it seriously. I couldn't stand to see another disaster like the 2004 tsunami. That was hard for me to watch.
ok I'm tired of waiting. I dont loss of life but I would like to see a boat washed up the side of the mountain i guess i'll just watch this movie
til Pookie gets home

YouTube - Snow Falling On Cedars Trailer
Enjoy rest of your Saturday evening

Old 02-28-2010, 07:14 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
mornin' all....tsunami warnings were lifted last night; apparently the waves dissipated on their way across the ocean. THANK GOD!!

'sposed to be a fairly nice day today....in preparation for more snow Tues/Wed/ YEA (NOT)

enjoy!!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 AM

Default Lets clear the air

I just had a comment deleted from a mod in another forum for saying
the word newcomer. I do not see it as offensive nor do I see the term
offensive it describes what a person who recently move to this area.
So do you see the term newcomer, transplant, yankee, northerner
offensive?
If you do how in the hell we are suppose to reference people who are
new here.
I have a poster who on vacation right now who is highly sensitive to the above words.
This debate was the reason of my recent departure but the way I see
it unless it spell out in the tos i'm not going to enforce it.

this was my comment
Quote:
awesome

The newcomers are part of the problem a lot dont care about the state
they are moving to. Kinda like renters take less care of a home they
are renting vs someone who is pursuing to own the home.
Im glad you are showing pride in where you live.
It great to show your a North Carolinian.
in response to op of this thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-solution.html

let me know what you think

Old 02-28-2010, 08:38 AM

Sunny, I don't find any of those words offensive. Sometimes, I get annoyed being called a Yankee (because I am not...I am a Midwesterner) but, that is not enough to have a blanket deletion for anyone using that word...that is crazy!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Sunny, I don't find any of those words offensive. Sometimes, I get annoyed being called a Yankee (because I am not...I am a Midwesterner) but, that is not enough to have a blanket deletion for anyone using that word...that is crazy!
lol yeah I see your point and never used the word Yankee but not all
people from up north find the word yankee offensive heck
some even use in their screen name. I see it as a word someone proud
of where they are from and it also depends if its used in a not so nice
way. so it would depend in my opinion on how it is use like
Quote:
those freakin yankees are rude
to me that
is a flaming comment I would remove. Do you think the way I use the
word newcomer offensive? Im not going to let it get to me like
last time and what is offensive to one person isnt to another.
Way I look at it if its not define in the tos im not going to enforce it
because I like to quote the tos when I issue an infraction

I am just trying to grasp the way you guys think on this issue.
Is it more problematic than I see it?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I'm a Midwesterner but I'm not the least bit offended by the term Yankee & use it myself.

Although I spent my childhood in the Midwest I lived in the MidAltantic for most of my life & the Mason-Dixon line is still a day to day factor there. When the line was settled (because the king of England screwed up & made overlapping land grants to the Calverts & William Penn, which had resulted in a lot of bloodshed) Philadelphia was 15 miles north of the line. Philadelphia, at that time was primarily the Old City portion of Center City Philly today.

The term Yankee is thrown around in a joking manner, in that area, although the official meaning is someone from New England, just like everywhere else in the north.

That said, if Yankee is used in a disparaging way, I know it's meant as an insult, but I've heard it used that way very few times out here & each time it was used for a good reason.

Sunny, I don't think that any of those words are insulting. It's how they're used that could skew the meaning. Of course, you can use just about any term as an insult if you have an intention to insult.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,051 times
I don't think of those words as offensive. It is the tone in which the reader interprets them. That's the thing about print.It is hard to get your tone and point across to some people. As I say call me anything but later for dinner or anything else that is known to be downright insulting (there is only one word that I find offensive and we all know what thay one is no matter who says it.)

Old 02-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Sunny, in the end, I think any words when they are said nastily will offend. Otherwise, it should be something that people laugh about. Don't you agree?

Old 02-28-2010, 02:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I don't get it, Sunny! I really don't. If you are new to the area, you are a newcomer, lol. In fact, for those of you who have posted here for 2-3 years, you may remember when we as a group decided no longer to say TRANSPLANT. We decided to say "newcomer," b/c several posters said - why do you refer to newcomers as transplants - that sounds like a medical term - like a kidney transplant. So we all laughed and said - we get that!!! So we decided to no longer say "transplant" but to say "newcomer" on the Charlotte forum. Anyone else remember that? Maybe in 2007? or maybe 2008?

The facts are - it matters whether a person is a newcomer or a native when it comes to opinions on various things here and also as far as knowing the actual history of an area. Newcomers often hear "rumors" or make assumptions, and getting the straight info from a native MATTERS. So I think there is a big reason to distinguish that the info is coming from a native who really knows the history.

This forum has been developed by the posters. The info is no better or worse than the folks who voluntarily post here. This silliness that has come from various posters who seem to demand that their opinions are the ONLY opinions voiced here has turned a lot of longtime posters off.

The moderators should be concerned about that more than spending time censoring words that are - by anybody's definition - in no way derogatory or inflammatory. And I would propose that anyone who says they ARE has an agenda. And that is what folks should be concerned about. B/c if good, reliable info is to be shared on this forum, the folks who try to provide it - but are getting infractions when they post - then that is only going to turn people off.

I know I have started to question why I bother to take the time to post here! I had decided to quit posting and then the Ballantyne situation came up and I felt that was worth being involved in.

But one of the longest posters (who gives the best info, may I add) has decided she is no longer posting and I am thinking she has the right idea. Why get abused when you try to "tell it like it is?" If you disagree with several of the posters here, they start complaining to the moderators. Since when does "running to the teacher" over such silliness as referring to a person as a newcomer mean someone gets an infraction? Or even - have the post deleted???? Good grief.

So if people want this to remain a viable board that grows - they need to stop it with the silliness of censoring words that are in common use and in no way disparage anyone. Heck, there is a Newcomers Club, for heaven's sake - and the Chamber literature refers to newcomers. That is just ridiculous.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-28-2010 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,171 times
Well I was a newcomer at one time. I am also a transplant. Some might call me a yankee, although I am originally from the midwest. Those words do not offend me. There is one that Sunny did not mention-floridiot. That does offend me because that is intentionally meant to be mean. So other than that one, I don't know what the big deal is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte