Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,244,791 times

Advertisements

And factory jobs make you more tired then some office job....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,929,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
As eevee mentioned, my sandwich is a comparable price but may take a little more planning than just picking up a Whopper. It also takes "delayed gratification" to wait until you get home to get a sandwich. The ability to delay gratification may be lacking in people who choose to eat only fast food meals. I've seen studies about how the ability to plan and delay gratification is important for personal success - this is the same for your eating habits.
No, its not comparable. The price for your PBJ may be similar, but you are not getting the same amount of food as you would from fast food.

Its sad, but tis the way it is.

And I dont think its about instant gratification when a mom or dad goes in and buys 10 double cheeseburgers to take home to his or her family.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:09 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
No, its not comparable. The price for your PBJ may be similar, but you are not getting the same amount of food as you would from fast food.

Its sad, but tis the way it is.

And I dont think its about instant gratification when a mom or dad goes in and buys 10 double cheeseburgers to take home to his or her family.
why not? it takes a lot of time and preparation to make 10 burgers, especially if you don't have a massive grill in the backyard

Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
why not? it takes a lot of time and preparation to make 10 burgers, especially if you don't have a massive grill in the backyard
It also costs more than 10 dollars to do so...which is the whole point of this thread.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
Quote:
It also costs more than 10 dollars to do so...which is the whole point of this thread.
not always. again, it involves a degree on planning. I've gotten burger patties at BOGO sales (got 8 turkey burgers for $4), and everything can be had just as cheaply (buns can be $1-2 for an 8 pack, cheese can be really cheap if you use coupons and BOGO sales, and condiments can be super cheap if you stock up during the summer when they're always on sale). I could probably make 10 burgers for $8, or rather (to make the math more easy in my head), I can make 8 burgers for about $6 minimum, assuming you're not using fancy condiments

I feel like I'm backtracking over my own responses, but that may be because it's not a situation that can answered w/ clear cut answers. it's a combination of multiple issues: junk food being more expensive than healthy foods, people not realizing that healthy foods can be just as cheap as junk food when they shop wisely, lack of personal accountability, lack of knowledge, lack of resources, overabundance of fast food places, etc. it's too simplistic to just blame health issues on just one of these factors

Old 03-06-2009, 09:33 AM

What is BOGO sales?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:03 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,471,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
not always. again, it involves a degree on planning. I've gotten burger patties at BOGO sales (got 8 turkey burgers for $4), and everything can be had just as cheaply (buns can be $1-2 for an 8 pack, cheese can be really cheap if you use coupons and BOGO sales, and condiments can be super cheap if you stock up during the summer when they're always on sale). I could probably make 10 burgers for $8, or rather (to make the math more easy in my head), I can make 8 burgers for about $6 minimum, assuming you're not using fancy condiments

I feel like I'm backtracking over my own responses, but that may be because it's not a situation that can answered w/ clear cut answers. it's a combination of multiple issues: junk food being more expensive than healthy foods, people not realizing that healthy foods can be just as cheap as junk food when they shop wisely, lack of personal accountability, lack of knowledge, lack of resources, overabundance of fast food places, etc. it's too simplistic to just blame health issues on just one of these factors
You're spot on. Don't let the diversions about agricultural subsidies of corn and soybeans and cost/benefit ratios of fast food to groceries throw you off on this. The situation is pretty much as you describe. You're backtracking because your position isn't being acknowledged by those who you're arguing with. Nor can it be. The trouble is that most liberals cannot assign responsibility to those who are living in a poor state of affairs so they look to other sources to attribute the problems to (usually Corporate America, the Government, or rich white people). That doesn't help anyone though. You need to understand a problem before you can fix it, not lie to yourself about what's causing it.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
You're spot on. Don't let the diversions about agricultural subsidies of corn and soybeans and cost/benefit ratios of fast food to groceries throw you off on this. The situation is pretty much as you describe. You're backtracking because your position isn't being acknowledged by those who you're arguing with. Nor can it be. The trouble is that most liberals cannot assign responsibility to those who are living in a poor state of affairs so they look to other sources to attribute the problems to (usually Corporate America, the Government, or rich white people). That doesn't help anyone though. You need to understand a problem before you can fix it, not lie to yourself about what's causing it.
Woah wha? The liberals blame government for their problems? Seriously?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,471,349 times
Quote:
Woah wha? The liberals blame government for their problems? Seriously?
No. They blame Corporate America, rich white people, and the Government Again, too bad. Really shifts the focus away from what needs to be done.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
No. They blame Corporate America, rich white people, and the Government Again, too bad. Really shifts the focus away from what needs to be done.
So the part of the spectrum that wants to increase government, sees government as the problem.

Got it, thanks for the help.

Also, thanks for turning this into a political thread. It was great for about 8 pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago