Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 10:28 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Couldn't get to this yesterday... I am just going to hit on a few items. Your quotes in blue.

the typical mind set of fundism is to dismiss out right all that challenges their instilled belief.
Actually we don't... but you do. I posted a good news thread on Muslims in Iran. Here's comes Warden being confrontational about churches in the south. Who said anything about churches in the south? Yet in himself - he had to create controversy out of nothing. The truth is that this is your mindset, and others like you who say you are Christians (not including the unbelievers in this).
It says more about you that you consider my post to be confrontational. I actually agreed with the larger premise that Arabs (and other immigrants) are becoming churchified quickly, and not just in Iran. I simply pointed out the fact that old time Southern churches are graying and dying out and in need of immigrants--therefore are being forced out of their comfortable, judgmental positions. Read that whole article from the link I posted on that thread.

Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth? I suppose so.

Quote:
So in essence it is highly unlikely ANYONE can learn any thing of value from a book written nearly 200 years after the fact
Interesting... Love your neighbor as yourself. You quote that almost at rote level. I now know it means nothing to you.
Since Jesus called "loving your neighbor" the Second Greatest Commandment, and said all the Law and Prophets hung on the Big Two, only a Christ follower would spend time putting Scripture in the secondary role to Jesus' teaching about it.

If you practiced it consistently in every situation--it would be a reflection of God in your heart. It's Pharisees who concentrate on "sin," while Christ followers concentrate on living life freely in Jesus Christ.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:03 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It says more about you that you consider my post to be confrontational. I actually agreed with the larger premise that Arabs (and other immigrants) are becoming churchified quickly, and not just in Iran. I simply pointed out the fact that old time Southern churches are graying and dying out and in need of immigrants--therefore are being forced out of their comfortable, judgmental positions. Read that whole article from the link I posted on that thread.

Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth? I suppose so.
My Muslim thread was just a praise report. Out of nowhere - you come with confrontation about churches in the south. Why? It had nothing to do with the topic.

That's what I mean - you being confrontational. I have never called you an enemy, because I thought you to be in Christ. I have told you that directly in the past. Yet you perceive me to be an enemy and worthy of conversion. If I am an enemy it is because you have given me that status.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I have a mission to convert people from the fundamentalism of Bibliolatry to being Christ followers. They can only do so by opening the eyes of their hearts to the theme of Jesus in Scripture. And that is only achieved through contextual biblical study which is the opposite of most Sunday School teaching.

Whereas fundamentalist seek to understand the Bible, Christ followers seek to understand themselves in the light of Jesus' teaching:

I don't know how you convert people to Christ followers by pointing them to Gary Willis and Mel White and Matthew Vines, etc. You want to convert people to Christ - point them to Christ.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I don't know how you convert people to Christ followers by pointing them to Gary Willis and Mel White and Matthew Vines, etc. You want to convert people to Christ - point them to Christ.
I want them to hear REAL witnesses to Christ--about His love and acceptance. You live in a world of condemnation, so you practice telling people about THEIR sins.

Try to be a bit more introspective--that was the whole theme of Jesus' message--look at your own heart.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
My Muslim thread was just a praise report. Out of nowhere - you come with confrontation about churches in the south. Why? It had nothing to do with the topic.

That's what I mean - you being confrontational. I have never called you an enemy, because I thought you to be in Christ. I have told you that directly in the past. Yet you perceive me to be an enemy and worthy of conversion. If I am an enemy it is because you have given me that status.
Read the whole article. You are now, like most fundamentalists, making the whole thing confrontational. In that respect you resemble what I've seen of Franklin Graham.

Are you unaware of the serious decline in church attendance? It is only slightly mitigated by immigrants. The message you preach drives lost people away, not toward, the church. And it's why I urge people to practice home worship if they need a group for support. Denominations, for the most part, are interested in controlling people. Small groups are relatively free of that sin.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:51 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I want them to hear REAL witnesses to Christ--about His love and acceptance. You live in a world of condemnation, so you practice telling people about THEIR sins.
Try to be a bit more introspective--that was the whole theme of Jesus' message--look at your own heart.
Amen, Warden. The condemnation and sin focus is consistent with our human nature, but NOT with the Gospel of Jesus. God is not counting our sins against us so we shouldn't either.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Read the whole article. You are now, like most fundamentalists, making the whole thing confrontational. In that respect you resemble what I've seen of Franklin Graham.
You are a trip... but no worries, I can fix that real quick.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:39 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Then you are only reading the material for WORDS and not reading for meaning. Seems to be a smptom of fundieism.
I could say the same of you, regarding the Bible.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I have a mission to convert people from the fundamentalism of Bibliolatry to being Christ followers. They can only do so by opening the eyes of their hearts to the theme of Jesus in Scripture. And that is only achieved through contextual biblical study which is the opposite of most Sunday School teaching.

Whereas fundamentalist seek to understand the Bible, Christ followers seek to understand themselves in the light of Jesus' teaching:

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

I want to see You
I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up
Shinin' in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love
As we sing holy, holy, holy

I want to see You
I want to see You
(Michael Smith)
It should be the mission of all Christians to show Jesus to others, both in word and deed.

PS I like that song.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen, Warden. The condemnation and sin focus is consistent with our human nature, but NOT with the Gospel of Jesus. God is not counting our sins against us so we shouldn't either.
Wrong.

Matt. 4

17 Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Peter (who walked with Jesus) said:

Acts 3

19 Repent, so that your sins may be blotted out, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity