Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:35 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
the diciples found a guy preaching about Jesus that was not connected to their numbers, and they tried to stop him.

When they told Jesus this, it is clear from his reaction that Jesus was upset that they tried to stop the unconnected preachers...

This clearly shows us that there is no one "church" organization that alone speaks for God.,

That would be a cult.
Anyone that tells you that their denomination alone is the only true church?....is a cult
PROV 11:2 When pride comes, then comes dishonor,
But with the humble is wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Obedience is something that you do, not something that is given. What God gives us is mercy and grace, which gives us opportunity to obey him, another chance to make things right with him. Living for Christ the best way you can includes being obedient to him. Eternal life has a condition. Forgiveness of sins is conditional. You can only receive it if you repent (Lk. 13:3,5). Do you have to repent to be saved?
Repentance is a change of mind.
Meaning, that if one wants to follow God, we must change our minds in the way we think about a materialistic, selfish and lustful desires to that of Christs, willing to giving up all for the glory of God.

Obedience then is the degree to which one gives to that effort, but in itself, does nothing for the eternal end of it because that part is the free gift.

There is no standard for obedience. Obedience is governed by what is in the heart of the individual.

If obedience were a standard requirement, then that could be legislated as into a law, thus requiring everybody to adhere to or else!

Blessings, AJ

Old 10-23-2009, 10:25 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Show me in the bible where Jesus is coming back to get the Pentecostal church.
Likewise the question can be asked, "Show me in the bible where Jesus is coming back to get the Church of Christ"?

Let's be clear here, the names given to groups of believers who belong to a particular denomination are just that, groups with a name.

But the body, meaning a body of believers in Christ Jesus, is the church, a living body spiritual, with no earthly affiliations other than the heart, regardless of what name one aspires to hold.

If the kingdom of God is not of this world, then it must be a spiritual kingdom in us while in the world.
Joh 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

The whole point of our existence is in that verse!

This is the place of our trial.

Blessings, AJ

Recall these words:

Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 AM

159 posts, read 230,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Likewise the question can be asked, "Show me in the bible where Jesus is coming back to get the Church of Christ"?

Let's be clear here, the names given to groups of believers who belong to a particular denomination are just that, groups with a name.

But the body, meaning a body of believers in Christ Jesus, is the church, a living body spiritual, with no earthly affiliations other than the heart, regardless of what name one aspires to hold.

If the kingdom of God is not of this world, then it must be a spiritual kingdom in us while in the world.
Joh 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

The whole point of our existence is in that verse!

This is the place of our trial.

Blessings, AJ

Recall these words:
The church of Christ is in the bible and authorized to be named so (Rom 16:16). It is the one church (Eph 4:4) that belongs to Jesus and He adds us to it upon salvation (Acts 2:47). Can you show me where denominations are ok? And we can be part of any church and go to heaven? There is only one true church and that is the one that Jesus established in Acts 2. Either you are part of his body or not. When we say "church of Christ" we mean the church that belongs to Jesus. Jesus did not establish divisions and names, He established His one church.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,113 times
I don't care what anybody says. Church of Christ is a denomination. The real church of Jesus Christ is spiritual...not a group of people that think they're special because their non profit name is church of Christ. Seriously.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
The church of Christ is in the bible and authorized to be named so (Rom 16:16). It is the one church (Eph 4:4) that belongs to Jesus and He adds us to it upon salvation (Acts 2:47). Can you show me where denominations are ok? And we can be part of any church and go to heaven? There is only one true church and that is the one that Jesus established in Acts 2. Either you are part of his body or not. When we say "church of Christ" we mean the church that belongs to Jesus. Jesus did not establish divisions and names, He established His one church.
EXACTLY.....so anyone who believes in Jesus for their salvation is a member of the church that belongs to Jesus....they are a part of that one church...the body of Christ.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I don't care what anybody says. Church of Christ is a denomination. The real church of Jesus Christ is spiritual...not a group of people that think they're special because their non profit name is church of Christ. Seriously.
I agree 100%....Just because "men" call the place where they worship the Church of Christ....they now think they have some monopoly on salvation due to their affiliation with it....such pride is shameful.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
EXACTLY.....so anyone who believes in Jesus for their salvation is a member of the church that belongs to Jesus....they are a part of that one church...the body of Christ.
Right, if someone is saved (and believing is not all we have to do) then Jesus adds them to the church. The name on the sign or building means nothing, of course it is spiritual.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
Right, if someone is saved (and believing is not all we have to do) then Jesus adds them to the church. The name on the sign or building means nothing, of course it is spiritual.
What other requirements do you believe there are for salvation?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What other requirements do you believe there are for salvation?
I believe we must believe (John 3:16, John 8:24)
I believe we must repent (Luke 13:3, Acts 17:30)
I believe we must confess Him with our mouth (Romans 10:9-10, Matt 10:32)
I believe we must be baptized for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16, 1 Peter 3:21, Rom 6:3-6, Gal 3:27, etc)
I believe we must remain faithful until death (Rev. 2:10)

(of course if we sin, and we will, we must confess our sin and he will cleanse us continually 1 John 1:7-9)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity