Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 11:53 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Stop thinking? That is an interesting remark. Just do what you are told i suppose? That is the excuse of many ... "I was just following orders!"

Sciotamicks, maybe you should think just a little more?(Isa 1:18)
Here's a prime example of yet another verse ripped out of its context to prove a point. Ironmaw, watch this:

If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land

That's the next verse in your comment to me. Think about what you are saying, and USING, to try and prove your point. They always seem to backfire on you all. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Paul speaking with the Stoics(a pagan philosophical sect) ...

Act 17:28-29
for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’ “Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.

We are all the children of God, even pagans and all other unbelievers ...
And another.....

27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

and a verse Ironmaw even USED!

28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Old 05-15-2010, 11:59 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Here's a prime example of yet another verse ripped out of its context to prove a point. Ironmaw, watch this:

If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land

That's the next verse in your comment to me. Think about what you are saying, and USING, to try and prove your point. They always seem to backfire on you all. Why is that?
The point was God is telling to reason, to think ... What does what you have to say above have to do with that? You said stop thinking.

One day everyone will be willing and obedient, sin and evil will not exist forever, even though you claim that they will. Christ will destroy all the works of the devil, even though you don't believe it.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:01 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Stop thinking, and let the scriptures say what He does. It is pretty simple.
One word. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Religious pride has nothing to do with this...I have studied in depth...not just the Bible but other religions...other denominations of Christianity...compared them to scripture, archeological evidence, history, science...I attempt to hit every angle of what someone will argue against the Faith with...i pick it apart till it makes sense...i plumb it's depths of mystery...i do not just take someone elses word for it, for many have a personal agenda and will 'guide' you through scripture in the way they want you to go and interpret for you...it says in one of the epistles of Peter that the Scriptures are not open to individual interpretations...which tells me that the scriptures have one and only one interpretation...and it behooves all of us to find THE Truth...and be willing to accept whatever it says regardless of how we feel about it...
Exactly!! Keep studying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Thank you, bro! Here I am, drinking coffee, trying to wake up after only a few hours sleep....I come here, and you make me laugh out loud.

So.. I guess we're supposed to not THINK anymore?

I don't know about you, but God gave us minds to USE. Not to turn them off and be spoon fed by the traditions of mankind. SEEK and ye shall find.

and you are right. It IS simple.
So simple a child could understand.
The good news really *IS* good news.

Hey brother, I know we don't see things the same way, but I like ya and I hope you have a good rest of the day.

peace,
sparrow
I am FINALLY starting to understand. When the light bulbs start coming on, WOW!

Thank you for your patience on these forums. I am glad so many of you stuck it out (I have gotten tired after only 1 MONTH!). I really wish ShanaBrown was still around, too.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The point was God is telling to reason, to think ... What does what you have to say above have to do with that? You said stop thinking.

One day everyone will be willing and obedient, sin and evil will not exist forever, even though you claim that they will. Christ will destroy all the works of the devil, even though you don't believe it.
Stop thinking and assuming things OUTSIDE of what the scriptures tells us in regards to God's message to us.
That is the point I was making if you were following TKC and my posts. And that is the point of Isaiah 1!

Ironmaw, the work and accusations of the devil toward the church ARE OVER. The New Heavens and Earth are the Age to Come, and there is still SIN outside the gates, as well as death. Only for those in the city of the New Jerusalem are these things are spiritual reality. Because of the saints past, present and future preserverance, this is the reward for them. That is the message of the entire word of God. Those vices on the old man, will never have a hold on the saints ever again.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I really wish ShanaBrown was still around, too.
Yep.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Of course you are. You were born a child of God. Some may wander, but that doesn't change the essential relationship. When a teenager gets mad at his parent, tells him he hates him and moves out, he may think the parent-child relationship no longer exists. He may want it to no longer exist. But that's not how it is from the parent's perspective. From the parent's perspective, that rebellious kid is just a lost child and is welcome to become a part of the family again at any time. It's not really all that different with respect to our relationship to our Father in Heaven.
Well, explain how the apostles are always saying things like through faith one becomes a child of God if they already are?...

Old 05-15-2010, 02:19 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
Never said any of that. You are. You are imposing again. Stop doing that. David is giving God glory for choosing him, forming him, a saint, elected, into the promise,...it is not some verse proclaiming just because David is knitted together, so must all men? That is eisegesis.

Stick to the theme of the scriptures. Election. New Jerusalem. Saints, servants, His people, Israel, etc etc....all apart from those that ARE NOT.
God didn't just knit David and a few special people together in the womb and no one else. Your view makes no sense at all. If David was so special I would think God would knit him in such a way that he wouldn't murder and commit adultery, but of course, that's just my opinion. However, I don't believe for one minute that God would knit David and others together and just let a bunch of tissue form on its own for other people.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:38 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:

for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’ “Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.

To the contrary!!! With regard to Acts 17:28,29, C.I. Scofield wrote...

(17:28) This statement is found in the writings of Aratus and Cleanthes.

(17:29) ''Offspring'' is from the Gk. genos meaning race. The reference is to the creation-work of God, in which He made man (i.e.mankind, the race in Adam) in His own likeness, Gen. 1:26-27, thus rebuking the thought that ''the Godhead is like unto gold,'' etc. The word ''Father'' is not used, nor does the passage affirm anything concerning fatherhood or sonship, which are relationshiips based upon faith and the new birth. Cp. Jn.1:12-13; Gal.3:26; 4:1-7; 1 Jn. 5:1.

(New Scofield Reference Edition, footnote for Acts 17:28,29; p.1190).

And here is the Scripture...

John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.

Gal. 3:36 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Gal. 4:1 NOW I say, as long as the heir is a child, he does not differ at all from a slave although he is owner of everything, 2) but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by the father. 3) So also we, while we were children, were held in bondage under the elemental things of the world. 4) But when the fulness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, 5) in order that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. 6) And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, ''Abba!, Father!'' 7) Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.

1 John 5:1 Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God; and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him.

Only those members of the human race who have made a personal decision to believe in Jesus Christ for salvation are children of God. Believers are sons of God by ADOPTION only.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:48 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:

Why don't you read acts 17 in context...they were a pagan philosophical sect?...they were stoics and epicureans...Paul is using there own philosophy against them to make a point and being Gods offspring and actually being a child of God are obviously two different things...all he is saying is that the true God created us all and cannot be contained in the things made by man to be worshipped...it is like Christ saying in John..
Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
Joh 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

He is not confirming this but He is saying if your Law says this, and i also am one then why do you seek to kill me?...simple, logical....

Last edited by Richard1965; 05-15-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity