Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best lakes
Minnesota 105 26.38%
Michigan 122 30.65%
Wisconsin 35 8.79%
Maine 5 1.26%
New York 42 10.55%
New Hampshire 4 1.01%
Washington 14 3.52%
Vermont 1 0.25%
Idaho 8 2.01%
California 21 5.28%
Florida 14 3.52%
Texas 13 3.27%
Ohio 8 2.01%
Arizona 3 0.75%
Nevada 3 0.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
This thread has turned silly and kind of funny
All I have to say is no matter how many people in the Midwest try to convince us, even though your lakes are beautiful, none of you come close to the majestic beauty of the alpine lakes in Idaho, even Lake Tahoe falls short. There is nothing like crystal blue glacial lakes, and I am talking big lakes, with the craggy snow capped peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains or Cabinet Mountains, or Idaho's countless other mountains framing the backdrop to hundreds of other lakes within the Gem State. The only other state that would give Idaho a run for its money concerning lakes is Alaska.

Polls on this forum are often determined by how many people from a particular state or region vote for what they are familier with, thus these polls are often flawed.
It's a shame that the lakes up in the mountains are too cold to swim in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
Missouri, goddamn wasn't even mentioned once..
I think that's because the only "lakes" in MO are dammed up rivers and streams. Not criticizing, just explaining.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Smile Quality and Quantity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
This thread has turned silly and kind of funny
All I have to say is no matter how many people in the Midwest try to convince us, even though your lakes are beautiful, none of you come close to the majestic beauty of the alpine lakes in Idaho, even Lake Tahoe falls short. There is nothing like crystal blue glacial lakes, and I am talking big lakes, with the craggy snow capped peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains or Cabinet Mountains, or Idaho's countless other mountains framing the backdrop to hundreds of other lakes within the Gem State. The only other state that would give Idaho a run for its money concerning lakes is Alaska.

Polls on this forum are often determined by how many people from a particular state or region vote for what they are familier with, thus these polls are often flawed.
Quality IS important. You can make an argument that Idaho might have some of the most scenic lakes in the country. And I think we all agree with you about Lake Tahoe.

It does seem to me, that quantity also matters. For example, Minnesota has the most lakes. It stands to reason that some of them are kind of blah. But it also stands to reason that some of them are top notch.

Thus simply by having so many lakes in the first place, Minnesota is sure to have some of the best lakes in the country.

Here again are the square miles of water for Idaho, and some of the Great Lake States.

Michigan ---39,912.28
Wisconsin --11,187.22
Minnesota ---7,328.79
New York ----7,342.22

Idaho ---------822.78

Lets assume the best case for Idaho and that the entire 822.78 square miles are "first class waters" of outstanding beauty and purity. And lets assume that only 25% of the other four states are first class waters.

The other four states would still have more first class water than Idaho.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Superior is deeper than any lake in NY.
I know the Great Lakes, but I was never too impressed with the Great Lakes. Their shoreline can have some nice cliff like spots and sand dunes, but most of the shore is not like that. Those, like Chimney Bluffs in NY on Lake Ontario, are just a fraction of the shore. MN is winning because it has the most, and Michigan is winning because it has the longest shoreline... but the actual lakes are just about as plentiful in NY as in MN and much more scenic and much more fitted for activities in AND around the lakes than both MN and MI.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I know the Great Lakes, but I was never too impressed with the Great Lakes. Their shoreline can have some nice cliff like spots and sand dunes, but most of the shore is not like that. Those, like Chimney Bluffs in NY on Lake Ontario, are just a fraction of the shore. MN is winning because it has the most, and Michigan is winning because it has the longest shoreline... but the actual lakes are just about as plentiful in NY as in MN and much more scenic and much more fitted for activities in AND around the lakes than both MN and MI.

More midwest bashing here. Id take Michigan or Minnesota any day over the crowded east coast. Are the moutains of northern NY pretty? youbethca they are, but they are overun every summer with the 30 million people who live in the bottom of NY. Life is better out here.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Do you have photos? So where are all these rocks and outside of the water up there? Because the land is a fairly flat prairie... and as a Long Island resident I know what flat land turns into when it gets very wet.
Why do you keep calling the Upper Midwest a "prairie"? Over 50% of MI is forests. Same as NYS.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
http://www.thishouseforlease.com/Flo...e%20Apopka.jpg

Lake Apopka Lightning on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/janmorris/372787165/ - broken link)

We have some of the most beastly lakes.

Yet Beautiful

sunset on lake apopka on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/morningthief581/359132095/in/set-72157594482355469/ - broken link)

or

sunset on lake apopka on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/morningthief581/358963290/ - broken link)

magnolia park_138.jpg on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antiundersteer/2147770638/ - broken link)

Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Do you have photos? So where are all these rocks and outside of the water up there? Because the land is a fairly flat prairie... and as a Long Island resident I know what flat land turns into when it gets very wet.

AS a LI resident you have no clue about the Upper Great Lakes topography though. Your posts prove that either you have never been anywhere close to the Upper Great Lakes region, OR you're simply lying about the area. Anyone with 1/2 a clue and access to Google can see how you are just blowing smoke when you call most of MN, WI, or MI flat prairie.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why do you keep calling the Upper Midwest a "prairie"? Over 50% of MI is forests. Same as NYS.
It is not the same as NY. Upstate NY has topography. Either way, both Michigan and Minnesota are flat or nearly flat in parts and the general areas around those lakes are lame as it gets. There is hardly anything attractive about the lakes up there.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
It is not the same as NY. Upstate NY has topography. Either way, both Michigan and Minnesota are flat or nearly flat in parts and the general areas around those lakes are lame as it gets. There is hardly anything attractive about the lakes up there.
But you just said you've never been there. Lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City