Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:10 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
But are you talking about me or someone else?
I was talking about another poster. I was piggy backing your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
ATL is the most famous as of 2017, NYC overall, but in terms of talent and local scene in 2017, NYC nor Atlanta is up there imo. I'd probably have Detroit and South Florida ahead of both.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm saying that hip-hop is bigger now than it was at any other point. Also, for that last 15 years, ATL has been the place that dominates the genre. So if someone tries to marginalize ATL, they, in essence, marginalize hip-hop.
Is this true? What is your basis for saying this?

Old 06-15-2017, 08:58 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times
Quote:
I'm saying that hip-hop is bigger now than it was at any other point. Also, for that last 15 years, ATL has been the place that dominates the genre. So if someone tries to marginalize ATL, they, in essence, marginalize hip-hop.
Then we'd have to question the why's and how's to the success of the ATL scene. Hip-hop/Rap became bigger at, IMO, a costly price. To marginalize ATL is to marginalize commercialization, not hip-hop. Essence and ATL don't belong in the same sentence, that's actually really funny of you to say. You're making it seem like ATL actually does hip-hop....hahaha

NYC fell off because commercialization destroyed the true essence of hip-hop, and the remaining few had to make songs like "Ballin" to stay afloat in this industry. ATL had no qualms bouncing on this opportunity. Due to this, now we have people saying that to marginalize ATL is to marginalize the essence of hip-hop because they "dominated the genre" once it's no longer a priority to be hip-hop....

Just when I thought I heard it all

Old 06-15-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Is this true? What is your basis for saying this?
Rappers overseas emulating southern and western rappers, commercials (Target has one with Lil Yachty), rappers getting shoe deals (jayz pioneered that) and other examples that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Then we'd have to question the why's and how's to the success of the ATL scene. Hip-hop/Rap became bigger at, IMO, a costly price. To marginalize ATL is to marginalize commercialization, not hip-hop. Essence and ATL don't belong in the same sentence, that's actually really funny of you to say. You're making it seem like ATL actually does hip-hop....hahaha

NYC fell off because commercialization destroyed the true essence of hip-hop, and the remaining few had to make songs like "Ballin" to stay afloat in this industry. ATL had no qualms bouncing on this opportunity. Due to this, now we have people saying that to marginalize ATL is to marginalize the essence of hip-hop because they "dominated the genre" once it's no longer a priority to be hip-hop....

Just when I thought I heard it all
No, NYC fell off because people weren't feeling them anymore, and their style was dated. They don't rap about what people like to hear, the slang is dated, the style of dress is dated, NYC's swag is outdated. Ironically, Jay is the epitome of commercialization. You'll still have your legends: Jada, Hov, Fabolous, but that's mainly it. Southern rap reaches a wider audience because it has something something you can two step to, something that can bump in the trunk, something you can workout to, something you can hustle to legally and illegally.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:43 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times
Quote:
No, NYC fell off because people weren't feeling them anymore, and their style was dated. They don't rap about what people like to hear, the slang is dated, the style of dress is dated, NYC's swag is outdated. Ironically, Jay is the epitome of commercialization. You'll still have your legends: Jada, Hov, Fabolous, but that's mainly it. Southern rap reaches a wider audience because it has something something you can two step to, something that can bump in the trunk, something you can workout to, something you can hustle to legally and illegally.
How is slang/swag dated? People still use slang from NYC, it's so omnipresent that you don't even realize it's from NYC. "taking Ls", "she's thirsty" or "it's lit" are largely an NYC term people use, if anything NYC slang is something that is very relevant in comparison to music. And let's not even get into fashion or swag. NYC is known for hitting waves years before the rest of the country, and discarding them. On a different level. Paris, Tokyo, London level.

And rapping about what people wanna hear, is exactly what I'm talking about. Playing to the masses. Jay Z commercialized in his business antics, not in his musical expression. He can make a hard hitting hip-hop album he's known for having lyrics and subject matter in his songs. Lemme repeat. He can actually make an album. Not a compilation of Metro Boomin/TM88 beats with vocals added on top lol. These ATL guys are the business antics, they're the puppets to the show, they'll subside once the revenue dries up. Jay Z is a businessman and a mogul, but his music can still hit hard if he decides to. He has yet to compromise his sound, he was the one of the first to trash on autotune when it became popular. That's hip-hop. "My raps don't have melodies".

People wanna hear garbage because that's what's on the radio, it's not a fault of NYC. We know ATL has been dumbing down music for the last several years so people grown accustomed to people rapping about nothing behind hot beats, it's their formula to success and it's easy money. Minimize efforts, maximize profits.

Aside from that, what you're saying doesn't explain how ATL embodies hip-hop culture. Bumping music in the trunk or working out doesn't explain this. I just wanna know how me discrediting Lil Yachty or some other trendy rapper is somehow marginalizing hip-hop culture.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:15 AM

178 posts, read 146,062 times
Quote:
I remeber back in the late 90's and 2000s how NYC wasthe ONLY place in the country you could go and not hear artist from the South.It was crazy because on BET and MTV raps it was so many artist from Atlanta and the South that were dominating the charts.
In Atlanta and elsewhere you went you saw gold teeth and dreadlocks but meanwhile in NYC you still seeing people sporting Timberlands and fur line hooded coats and guys sayin "Son" and know what im sayin yo"

New york slang died out just like the sound.NYC made it commercial with Puffy

Old 06-16-2017, 12:35 AM

178 posts, read 146,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
How is slang/swag dated? People still use slang from NYC, it's so omnipresent that you don't even realize it's from NYC. "taking Ls", "she's thirsty" or "it's lit" are largely an NYC term people use, if anything NYC slang is something that is very relevant in comparison to music. And let's not even get into fashion or swag. NYC is known for hitting waves years before the rest of the country, and discarding them. On a different level. Paris, Tokyo, London level.

And rapping about what people wanna hear, is exactly what I'm talking about. Playing to the masses. Jay Z commercialized in his business antics, not in his musical expression. He can make a hard hitting hip-hop album he's known for having lyrics and subject matter in his songs. Lemme repeat. He can actually make an album. Not a compilation of Metro Boomin/TM88 beats with vocals added on top lol. These ATL guys are the business antics, they're the puppets to the show, they'll subside once the revenue dries up. Jay Z is a businessman and a mogul, but his music can still hit hard if he decides to. He has yet to compromise his sound, he was the one of the first to trash on autotune when it became popular. That's hip-hop. "My raps don't have melodies".

People wanna hear garbage because that's what's on the radio, it's not a fault of NYC. We know ATL has been dumbing down music for the last several years so people grown accustomed to people rapping about nothing behind hot beats, it's their formula to success and it's easy money. Minimize efforts, maximize profits.

Aside from that, what you're saying doesn't explain how ATL embodies hip-hop culture. Bumping music in the trunk or working out doesn't explain this. I just wanna know how me discrediting Lil Yachty or some other trendy rapper is somehow marginalizing hip-hop culture.
How much do you hear Jay Z new stuffon the radio like you use to?

The culture of hip hop adapts to thye region. in the South peope drive so it is apart of the culture.

Just google "Hip hop capitol" and see how many articles pop up on the first page describing Atlanta as the new hip hop spot
I mean it does even matter if all dont agree that Atlanta is the capitol but the fact that its mentioned over all else says alot.
2009 NY Times Article about "Atlanta being the new center of gravity for Hip hop"
No Holds Barred for Gucci Mane, Rap Star - The New York Times

Old 06-16-2017, 07:50 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
the style of dress is dated
How can the style of dress be dated when everyone is wearing Supreme?

Bun B - Gallery: Celebrities Wearing Supreme | Complex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City