Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?
Boston 9 2.43%
New York City 49 13.24%
Washington, D.C. 28 7.57%
Philadelphia 13 3.51%
Chicago 13 3.51%
St. Louis 6 1.62%
Miami 15 4.05%
New Orleans 126 34.05%
San Francisco 55 14.86%
Los Angeles 11 2.97%
Seattle 11 2.97%
Other (please specify) 34 9.19%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bro24 View Post
lol I voted for LA non Bias though. I think it's unique because there's no city in America that can really relate to LA. LA is a city far different then most Major U.S. cities.
I don't think LA can be most unique, cause I feel like it's the original template for modern Sunbelt cities, well, then again, it's way bigger and way more filled with stuff than all the rest.

My personal vote is for NYC, just for a few simple reasons. It's the biggest city we have by miles, and the most cosmopolitan, it has more of everything than any other city in the country (not saying that it does everything better, just that it has the most), it has more mass transit ridership than like the next what ever alot amount of cities combined, definitely unique for America, there's the skyline, the importance (like financial), the diversity, the boroughs, it's one of our only two (or three) truly 24 cities, alot, I could go on for like ever. It's not anyone thing, it's soooo many things that come together that make it for me, no other city in the US can match it in that way.

Edit: I just read the first post, I get to post pics, lol yay!

Last edited by missRoxyhart; 08-23-2010 at 03:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I don't think LA can be most unique, cause I feel like it's the original template for modern Sunbelt cities, well, then again, it's way bigger and way more filled with stuff than all the rest.

My personal vote is for NYC, just for a few simple reasons. It's the biggest city we have by miles, and the most cosmopolitan, it has more of everything than any other city in the country (not saying that it does everything better, just that it has the most), it has more mass transit ridership than like the next what ever alot amount of cities combined, definitely unique for America, there's the skyline, the importance (like financial), the diversity, the boroughs, it's one of our only two (or three) truly 24 cities, alot, I could go on for like ever. It's not anyone thing, it's soooo many things that come together that make it for me, no other city in the US can match it in that way.

Edit: I just read the first post, I get to post pics, lol yay!
Yes your point stands and I'm not really disputing it (because you accurately showed how Unique New York City is) but here is the side from Los Angeles.

Yes sunbelt cities have the same layout, but cities like Boston, Philadelphia, & Baltimore have the same layout as New York City, and Boston was founded before New York City, Los Angeles was the first major city of this style of layout.

There are many cities where you have four distinct seasons of weather, many of them, but only two in the USA where you have perfect weather and they are Los Angeles & San Diego, never too hot and never too cold.

There are only a few handful of cities that having mountains in their city limits and a few that have beaches, and even less than that only a minority of them have both.

Los Angeles also has valleys, deserts, lush green trees, beaches, mountains, urban landscape, all in one place. The Greater Los Angeles area is home to people of many religious backgrounds even surpassing New York City on that matter. It also has some of the best beaches in America, some of the best theme parks in America, some of the best ethnic food in America.

There are many cities in the world that follow the example of New York City & Chicago and become skyscraper cities like Hong Kong, Toronto, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, etc... but there aren't many cities out there that can claim to having the coast, desert, mountains all within their city limits, and I mean all of those.

Geographically Los Angeles has the most diverse terrain of any major city in America. (within both city limits and MSA/CSA) Los Angeles might not be the biggest city in the country, and it might surely not have the best of everything, but surely it can claim to having a little piece of everything there is to offer including snow in the mountains with skiing options in winter for those that want it.

I'm not taking anything away from New York City here, but Los Angeles, Seattle, Washington DC, & others can definitely make a case for having things other cities do not, and not having everything doesn't show it all the time.

This thread should have been multiple choice, there are so many cities that are unique, there probably isn't one thats "the most unique".

http://www.usc.edu/arts/private/photos/subpage_NokiaLive.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times
there are other cities with mountains as backdrops. there are other cities with palm trees. there are other cities with ___________.

but you don't see any of us from ny using that bull ish to move goal posts and to support our argument.

the thing ppl aren't getting (with ny) is that yes, philly, chicago, etc. have similar layouts but ny has a lot of things that these cities don't have. as seen with the what doesn't ny have thread that i linked to that make it unique.

not that other cities don't but ppl make it seem like ny isn't incredibly unique. you give them proof in the form of pictures, videos and testimony and they downplay it.

there is an entire thread on things ny supposedly doesn't have and its proven wrong by nyers.

why should anybody care? because the things YOU THINK NY DOESN'T HAVE? it probably does. as proven in that particular thread.

ny should easily be in the running as one of the most unique cities in the world. easily.

put it this way. you disagree? well then what makes the city that you think tops ny in uniqueness better? PROVE it instead of trying to take down what we have proven in pics/videos/testimony.

lastly, i'd say that ppl think ny is just bigger and more of everything. but as a nyer, there is waaaay more to ny than that. that is an outsider point of view, one that doesn't understand what makes ny ny.

it seems like no amount of pics/videos or what ppl have to say will change that thinking.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
there are other cities with mountains as backdrops. there are other cities with palm trees. there are other cities with ___________.

but you don't see any of us from ny using that bull ish to move goal posts and to support our argument.

the thing ppl aren't getting (with ny) is that yes, philly, chicago, etc. have similar layouts but ny has a lot of things that these cities don't have. as seen with the what doesn't ny have thread that i linked to that make it unique.

not that other cities don't but ppl make it seem like ny isn't incredibly unique. you give them proof in the form of pictures, videos and testimony and they downplay it.
Huh? I haven't said that New York City isn't unique. If you look at my post, I said that she showed with her post how unique it is, and that is a valid argument. Because it has things other cities do not have.

But so does Los Angeles it has things other cities do not have within city limits. Unless you can name one other city in the country where you can go to the beach and ski on a mountain within city limits in winter, my point stays valid there. Its true most New Yorkers I guess don't care for things like skiing and stuff but a lot of people do, and a lot of people also like beaches and there is only one city in the country that allows you to do both. And that is what makes that city unique by weather conditions.

New York City may be unique, but a lot of other cities are unique too and equally like Washington DC, Los Angeles, Seattle.
I'm not here to nitpick and cut New York City down, you need to stop thinking that, but things like this is what makes any of these other cities just as unique as New York City:

And eek you continuously keep thinking that I'm saying Washington DC, Los Angeles, Honolulu > New York City on how unique it is. When really I'm trying to say New York City = Los Angeles = Washington DC = Honolulu = Miami, etc...

http://www.corporateservices.noaa.gov/facmd/BMB%20Websites/Seattle%20Webpages/Seattle.jpg (broken link)

^^ And all of those pictures are of different cities, one of them is New York City, and if you fail to see anything unique about the other cities then I don't know what much more I can say to you.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 AM
eek

the elements:
graffiti (no, ny didn't start it but we are the mecca point blank period.)

YouTube - New York graffiti

breaking/bboying:

YouTube - Breakdancing on the New York Subway 2

rapping:

YouTube - BIZ + KANE

djing:

YouTube - Eric B. Is On The Cut - Eric B. & Rakim

Old 08-23-2010, 06:33 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Huh? I haven't said that New York City isn't unique. If you look at my post, I said that she showed with her post how unique it is, and that is a valid argument. Because it has things other cities do not have.
i wasn't talking about your posts in particular. i'm just saying that while you're making sense, others are not. read the thread and you'll see what i mean. its a long read so i understand if you don't.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i wasn't talking about your posts in particular. i'm just saying that while you're making sense, others are not.
Oh okay, then in that case my bad.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:49 AM
eek

its cool.

anyway, not only did we invent rap but we reinvented it. the kids from staten:

YouTube - Wu Tang Clan "C.R.E.A.M."

had the whole country on some 5%er ish. na'mean God? word to the old earth, son.
mad ppl everywhere had to have wallaby's, wuwear, etc. and don't tell me wu tang forever in 97 didn't sell out in a lot of places and triumph didn't stay on the radio...

more rap:

YouTube - Goodz and Charlie Clips Freestyle

yeah i know your mans rap but we started it. thats our ish.

now we're going to get into various cultures here. yeah i know your neighborhood has an indian family that just moved from calcutta or whatever but its not what we have here:

YouTube - 7 Train to Jackson Heights, New York City

to be continued..

Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 AM

62 posts, read 80,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Yes your point stands and I'm not really disputing it (because you accurately showed how Unique New York City is) but here is the side from Los Angeles.

Yes sunbelt cities have the same layout, but cities like Boston, Philadelphia, & Baltimore have the same layout as New York City, and Boston was founded before New York City, Los Angeles was the first major city of this style of layout.

There are many cities where you have four distinct seasons of weather, many of them, but only two in the USA where you have perfect weather and they are Los Angeles & San Diego, never too hot and never too cold.

There are only a few handful of cities that having mountains in their city limits and a few that have beaches, and even less than that only a minority of them have both.

Los Angeles also has valleys, deserts, lush green trees, beaches, mountains, urban landscape, all in one place. The Greater Los Angeles area is home to people of many religious backgrounds even surpassing New York City on that matter. It also has some of the best beaches in America, some of the best theme parks in America, some of the best ethnic food in America.

There are many cities in the world that follow the example of New York City & Chicago and become skyscraper cities like Hong Kong, Toronto, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, etc... but there aren't many cities out there that can claim to having the coast, desert, mountains all within their city limits, and I mean all of those.

Geographically Los Angeles has the most diverse terrain of any major city in America. (within both city limits and MSA/CSA) Los Angeles might not be the biggest city in the country, and it might surely not have the best of everything, but surely it can claim to having a little piece of everything there is to offer including snow in the mountains with skiing options in winter for those that want it.

I'm not taking anything away from New York City here, but Los Angeles, Seattle, Washington DC, & others can definitely make a case for having things other cities do not, and not having everything doesn't show it all the time.

This thread should have been multiple choice, there are so many cities that are unique, there probably isn't one thats "the most unique".

Thank you for saying that. That's why I voted for LA. There's no city in the U.S. that has the Layout of L.A. That's what makes LA Unique. What city actually Relates to LA?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 AM
eek

colombia? check:

YouTube - NYFestival Independencia de Colombia 2010 en New York- Colombian Festival in NY

YouTube - imagixstudio.com video of Festival Colombiano 2010

(its bigger than just a fesitval tho. take the 7 train and get off in corona or jackson heights...it feels like you stepped into another world. we don't need a festival to have 34234343 central americans walking around, music blaring in the background, etc.)

mexico? check:

YouTube - MEXICAN PARADE NYC 2009 # 1

YouTube - Mariachi band playing on the subway in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City