Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 01:31 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H-I-O View Post
I guess it could be worse we dont have an Ocho Cinco to deal with.
don't get me started on cincinnati...

Old 10-04-2008, 08:22 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Here is the answer. What I really want is to be able to live anywhere I want and travel anywhere I want(and legally I can with the exception of certain military places) not have race be the deciding factor of whether or not I can. Unfortunately, it appears that there are many people out there who want to keep me from doing so.

Now back to the topic. I do not believe that freedom to live where one wants causes a city to die. Cities decline the quickest when the economy of a place is dying too. This isn't just a Cleveland problem.
In regards to your first point, what you want is total freedom for "you," but no freedom for anyone else. I think that position is untenable and has "nothing" to do with a Free Market and everything to do with a position that is extremely selfish and self-centered.

In regards to your second point, I think Free Trade has been the primary cause for Cleveland's shrinkage. However, I do think forced integration is the primary reason, that White People moved into the suburbs; to get away from The Blacks.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:51 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
In regards to your first point, what you want is total freedom for "you," but no freedom for anyone else. I think that position is untenable and has "nothing" to do with a Free Market and everything to do with a position that is extremely selfish and self-centered.

In regards to your second point, I think Free Trade has been the primary cause for Cleveland's shrinkage. However, I do think forced integration is the primary reason, that White People moved into the suburbs; to get away from The Blacks.
How is it selfish for me to live and travel wherever I want? How is it not selfish for others to try and deny me of that right? If I'm selfish to want to live and travel wherever I want, then maybe I like being selfish.

When did I mention free trade? I mentioned that a city's economy has to do with whether or not it declines.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
How is it selfish for me to live and travel wherever I want? How is it not selfish for others to try and deny me of that right? If I'm selfish to want to live and travel wherever I want, then maybe I like being selfish.

When did I mention free trade? I mentioned that a city's economy has to do with whether or not it declines.
In regards to your second point, you seemed to be implying/actually said, that I thought integration was the primary reason for Cleveland's Decline. So, I corrected you.

In regards to your first point, I didn't say selfish, I said extremely selfish. It is extremely selfish for you to want to live and travel wherever you want, in America, because other people may not want you there. Ultimately, this is about maintaining a civil country, that consists of various races and religions. So, you should be willing to make some sacrifices for that or you should leave.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,508 times
Yeah pirate, what are you thinking? Living and traveling wherever you want? That's crazy talk, amigo. You stay right where you are, until the government (who knows what is best for you) tells you otherwise. How selfish of you!

Oh, wait... extremely selfish of you...

Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Yeah pirate, what are you thinking? Living and traveling wherever you want? That's crazy talk, amigo. You stay right where you are, until the government (who knows what is best for you) tells you otherwise. How selfish of you!

Oh, wait... extremely selfish of you...
Are you being sarcastic?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
In regards to your second point, you seemed to be implying/actually said, that I thought integration was the primary reason for Cleveland's Decline. So, I corrected you.

In regards to your first point, I didn't say selfish, I said extremely selfish. It is extremely selfish for you to want to live and travel wherever you want, in America, because other people may not want you there. Ultimately, this is about maintaining a civil country, that consists of various races and religions. So, you should be willing to make some sacrifices for that or you should leave.
Only to some people am I extremely selfish, but I have my right to travel and I am going to use it. If it makes me extremely selfish, then I'm guilty as charged. That is the last I am going to say about that on this thread.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM

Now back to the topic about Cleveland being a dying city: The only thing I have to say about the mentioned suburbs according to the OP is that perhaps the people living in those suburbs might be working in Cleveland or might have been caught up in the financial crisis. This isn't just Cleveland's problem.
Cleveland has been in alot of economic turmoil for a while and while Cleveland is making some gains, there are still some problems. I don't know how the financial crisis at hand would affect Cleveland other than making the current drop in population more drastic.
On the other hand, I believe Cleveland can be strong again. Cleveland is getting cheaper. If more businesses can relocate to Cleveland and the city can bring it's good points to the table, very good things can happen.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Only to some people am I extremely selfish, but I have my right to travel and I am going to use it. If it makes me extremely selfish, then I'm guilty as charged. That is the last I am going to say about that on this thread.
Exactly, you think you are ENTITLED, because you think that you have a RIGHT, because you think it would be IMMORAL to restrain you, in anyway, from going wherever your little feet want to take you. Well, I don't. As a matter of fact, I think it is IMMORAL to enable you to do that, because it deprives others of their Moral Right, to preserve their community. "You," basically, are a community killer.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 PM

21 posts, read 56,954 times
Chef Boyardee

The statments you make are extremely ignorant. Who do you think you are telling someone where they can and cant go. Do you think your better than a certain class of people, there for they should stay out of your little metropolis.

Unless your posting from Alabama in 1960 you need a reality check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland