Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 AM

93 posts, read 207,569 times

Advertisements

@biscman

Beach club does not require Membership. All the other things you mentioned require Membership and are available in 2015 in the Signature Social plan (Dues of $180/mo covers your entire family as a resident; non-resident costs for the same amenties is $115/mo).

Gatorbyter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 AM

32 posts, read 72,538 times
Looks like they may need to reduce the price of the lots to intice prespective buyers?? It's not like your getting anything extra with the costly increase. Seems to me they're really trying to get as much as they can out of the northern folks looking to retire.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM

Remember the movie Titanic? All those passengers were going to the same place (as are we). But if you could afford it, being up top and upwind of the stacks was ideal .... down below (3rd class) .... not so much. I just don't want to see PRICING be used to implicitly manage the limited facilities given the planned SJP expansions. That's like moving passengers down below after the ship set sail ..... <enough Titanic analogies, but I hope my point is made>

Gatorbyter

Old 10-13-2014, 10:51 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
Thanks Gator......

Pretty much have ya by the "short ones"......

Better focus on a resale where someone else already paid for such membership...

Thanks for the clarification....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
@biscman

Beach club does not require Membership. All the other things you mentioned require Membership and are available in 2015 in the Signature Social plan (Dues of $180/mo covers your entire family as a resident; non-resident costs for the same amenties is $115/mo).

Gatorbyter

Old 10-13-2014, 11:05 AM

With the rate increases and costs of new construction I wonder if they are trying to match Landfall Country Club status. I think 50k to join Landfall....

I guess things wouldn't be as emotional if majority of residents were still working with their 250k to 400k salary jobs. But with most retirees who live off their SS and personal investments I see every 24 months another increase and it will become unaffordable. I guess a lot of golfers will just but the First Tee of Brunswick county coupon book and pay reduced fees at all the other beautiful courses down there.

If anyone did any research on Troon they wouldn't have been surprised this has occurred. Hey life is short, still a beautiful place to retire.

Quote:
Remember the movie Titanic? All those passengers were going to the same place (as are we). But if you could afford it, being up top and upwind of the stacks was ideal .... down below (3rd class) .... not so much. I just don't want to see PRICING be used to implicitly manage the limited facilities given the planned SJP expansions. That's like moving passengers down below after the ship set sail ..... <enough Titanic analogies, but I hope my point is made>

Gatorbyter

Old 10-13-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Thanks Gator......

Pretty much have ya by the "short ones"......

Better focus on a resale where someone else already paid for such membership...

Thanks for the clarification....
This is a nuance that I am not sure I fully understand. If someone had a Membership on a lot/home and then later didn't stay active with the Monthly Dues ... in such a case, I believe that the Membership will need to re-activated $5K .... so ideally you find a resale with a currently activate Membership. If I am wrong, please someone correct!

Gatorbyter

Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 AM

18 posts, read 50,310 times
Default Beach access

Beach access is part of the POA fee and not part of any membership.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 AM

Thank you. What else does the POA fee cover? Just Beach access??

Thanks.

jf

Old 10-13-2014, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 50,310 times
Default Passing on Membership

Quote:
This is a nuance that I am not sure I fully understand. If someone had a Membership on a lot/home and then later didn't stay active with the Monthly Dues ... in such a case, I believe that the Membership will need to re-activated $5K .... so ideally you find a resale with a currently activate Membership. If I am wrong, please someone correct!

Gatorbyter
This is a confusing topic because the rules have changed overtime. In the beginning there was only one membership. Bought once and was transferable, only had to pay a transfer fee. Then it changed to only transfer once. Then they came up with the 15K/5K split on the 20K. Now if a member is active, and they sell the 15K is gone and the 5K transfers. Then they came up with the two tier model when the Reserve was built. 20K and 30k (80% back) with the 5k being the initiation on both.

If the membership is not active, then you start from nothing at what ever the going rate is at the time. What is constant is the membership only gives you access to pick a plan which you pay monthly. Those rates are going up at a fast clip, so even if you were one of the originals you may be having a tough time hanging on, unless you are over 80 and then you get reduced monthly costs. So, the best possible case is that you bought in before 2001, and are now over 80. Also, there was a complete return on deposit after 20 years at the start, which is now 30 years.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:59 AM

158 posts, read 315,515 times
From the POA Website:

POA specific responsibilities are:

Security and traffic control.
Lighting of entrances, boardwalks, sidewalks, and walking paths.
Insect and pest control, in supplement to State or other governmental activities.
Operations and maintenance of the St. James Beach Club, the Dog Parks, Waterway Park and the Woodlands Park area and the picnic Pavilions at Waterway Park and Woodlands Park.
Operation of the following committees: Architectural Control, Communications, Finance,
Infrastructure, Landscaping, Nominating, Safety and Security, Transitions.
Operation and maintenance of the Library building.
Levying and collection of assessments and fees.
Development and administration of an annual budget and five year plan.
Enforcement of POA Covenants, Rules and Policies. Water, sewer and trash pickup services are provided by Brunswick County.
Administration of the Architectural Control Committee.
Conduct annual meeting for Property Owners and elections for the Property Owner members of the Board of Directors

The Town of St. James specific areas of responsibility are:

Providing fire and first responder medical services via a contract with the St. James Volunteer Fire Department.
To provide police protection though an agreement with the Brunswick County Sheriff.
In coordination with Brunswick County, providing emergency management to the Town.
Assessing ad valorem and personal property taxes, which are billed and collected by Brunswick County under contract with the Town.
Establishing and administering land use and permitting policies and functions via a Planning Board.
Developing an annual town budget and property tax rate and administering town finances in compliance with North Carolina statutes.
Conducting local elections through a contract with Brunswick County.
Developing and administering the Town’s Comprehensive (Long Range) Plan.
Providing appropriate representation of residents in County\State matters.
Instituting, as required, local ordinances and resolutions.
Providing street lighting for safety via a contract with Brunswick Electric Corp.
Providing and managing a town community center.
Providing a recycling and yard waste pick up program.
Monitoring the activities of county and state agencies to identify issues which might impact the town and, where possible, taking actions to ensure that the interests of the town and its citizens are properly served.
Cooperating with the Property Owners’ Association and Developer regarding areas of mutual interest.
Monitoring growth issues and establishing programs to address future town needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Thank you. What else does the POA fee cover? Just Beach access??

Thanks.

jf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina