U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-13-2014, 12:49 PM
 
45 posts, read 155,691 times
Reputation: 45

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissearay View Post
Who do we contact to add our names to the petition protesting the changes regarding golfing and use of the diving range?
I don't golf at all and don't plan to but my husband was planning to take it up and the access to the driving range was huge on his list, which we were told was unlimited, at the time we purchased in SJ.
Not sure where any petitions are, but I reached out to Becky at Troon to express my disappointment. I really don't use the Clubs enough to justify the Social dues in the first place (we still have access to the HarborWalk pool and marina, and those aren't impacted by the Clubs), so something as minor as the "pay to play" driving range really is significant to someone like me who's on the fence anyway. I regret not doing enough due diligence in the first place prior to becoming a member, but this has certainly forced me to revisit my status and to make some decisions on what to do next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2014, 12:56 PM
 
4,985 posts, read 2,234,404 times
Reputation: 7151
Actually your POA dues give you quiet a bit.

If you are not an avid golfer and elect for social membership, mostly all you get are fitness club and swimming pool use and the necessity to purchase $650 in food each year. I guess you do get to walk around in the clubs when you want. I am not sure what kind of social activities take place in the clubs themselves. I also assume if you wanted to reserve a room for a party or wedding etc., for a price you can do so. I have no idea what kind of fee schedule is in place for that kind of thing.

It is daunting to pay even $20k up front and $180 a month to use pools that ares probably closed 5 months a year (excluding 1 indoor pool) and the fitness clubs.

I'm just waiting for some enterprising person to purchase land just outside SJP and open an indoor/outdoor aquatics/fitness center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,319 posts, read 19,940,242 times
Reputation: 5106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
.......It is daunting to pay even $20k up front and $180 a month to use pools that ares probably closed 5 months a year (excluding 1 indoor pool) and the fitness clubs.

I'm just waiting for some enterprising person to purchase land just outside SJP and open an indoor/outdoor aquatics/fitness center.
That's a good suggestion for a business. As a person who enjoys year-round swimming, it is very important to me to have an indoor pool. However, Brunswick County has a great indoor pool called the Dinah Gore Aquatic Center in Bolivia. It is about 11 miles from the St. James Welcome Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 01:21 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times
Reputation: 387
What about Brunswick Community College???

Dinah E. Gore Fitness & Aquatics Center | Brunswick Community College

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
That's a good suggestion for a business. As a person who enjoys year-round swimming, it is very important to me to have an indoor pool. However, Brunswick County has a great indoor pool called the Dinah Gore Aquatic Center in Bolivia. It is about 11 miles from the St. James Welcome Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 05:34 PM
 
150 posts, read 238,403 times
Reputation: 60
Was anyone at the POA Annual meeting on Sunday? Just wondering what the POA had to say about the development plan in the park in Woodlands Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 06:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
383 posts, read 746,407 times
Reputation: 214
Here's the scoop I got when I spoke to the membership department. Still dismayed that I cannot play the Reserve Course, even as a guest of a member. You must have Premier membership and a monthly golf allowance. I will just have to look at the course from my back window.




Upfront Activation Application
Membership Type Cost Fee Fee
Current Rate
Signature $15,000 $5,000 $500
Premier $30,000 $5,000 $500

January 1, 2015 Rate
Signature $20,000 $5,000 $500
Premier $40,000 $5,000 $500
(*) Premier can be paid in three, 10,000 installments.
(**) If you sell your property and the new owner activates a
Signature or Pemier membership, you get 80% of the upfront
Cost back.
(***) If you sell your property and the new owner does not
activate the membership or any future owners do not
activate the membership, you will get 100% of the upfront
cost back after thirty (30) years from the date you acquired
your property.

Social Memberships
(*) Include fitness centers, club pools, 24 rounds rounds per
member of golf, practice tees
(**) Only can use Players, Members or Founders Courses
(***) To use the Reserve you have to have a monthly golf
subscription and not a social membership

Mo. Fees Current 1/1/15
Social Resident $173 $180
Food (Annual) $625 $650

Social Non Resident $110 $115
Food (Annual) $200 $200

Non Resident status can be for up to five (5) years
Social Memberships do NOT include tennis. If you want to
play tennis, you need a "sport" membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 07:50 PM
 
70 posts, read 107,503 times
Reputation: 71
Wow.

We just looked at a condo at SJP last weekend with our realtor - one of the blue ones overlooking the marina. We would certainly consider purchasing it as a second home if not for the membership fees. They are a deal breaker both financially (we would be non-residents) and on principle. And no tennis with a social membership? Wow.

Thanks for the rundown, PonyPride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 07:52 PM
 
45 posts, read 155,691 times
Reputation: 45
Becky did get back to me in response to my question on use of the practice facilities (driving range) in the 2015 membership plans. I asked whether the $10 per day fee for users without a tee time same day (Social Member) was for all clubs or for the Members Club specifically. She confirmed that it was for the Members Club specifically. I interpret that to mean that I can still use the driving range at the Founders Club regardless of membership status (and regardless of whether I have a tee time for that day or not).

Of course, the obvious next step is to charge for that as well. But hopefully not for 2015 at least...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 05:59 AM
 
4,985 posts, read 2,234,404 times
Reputation: 7151
As a comparison the Dinah Gore Aquatic Center charges $484 a year for a couple to join. The Clubs at $180 a month is $2160 a year plus $20,000, soon $25,000, to join. That's about 50 years worth of Dinah Gore Aquatic Center membership. Yes, it is a 22 mile round trip.

I dunno.We like the idea of belonging to the clubs and having access to amenities that are close and sharing them with family and friends that visit. I have seldom been reluctant to pay a premium price for quality. It usually pays off in the long run. At the same time, that's a lot of "cheddar" as they say.

Since SJP is going to be "home" in about 30 days, I am pressed to make a choice. Worse case, if we don't join now and change our minds later on, it cost and additional 5k. If we join Dinah Gore and are happy with it, a lot of "cheddar" is left for the mice to cruise and travel. We can always take the relatives to the beach.

Decisions, Decisions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 07:09 AM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times
Reputation: 387
This is a joke, right?

30 Years??????????????????




If you sell your property and the new owner does not
activate the membership or any future owners do not
activate the membership, you will get 100% of the upfront
cost back after thirty (30) years from the date you acquired
your property.






Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Here's the scoop I got when I spoke to the membership department. Still dismayed that I cannot play the Reserve Course, even as a guest of a member. You must have Premier membership and a monthly golf allowance. I will just have to look at the course from my back window.




Upfront Activation Application
Membership Type Cost Fee Fee
Current Rate
Signature $15,000 $5,000 $500
Premier $30,000 $5,000 $500

January 1, 2015 Rate
Signature $20,000 $5,000 $500
Premier $40,000 $5,000 $500
(*) Premier can be paid in three, 10,000 installments.
(**) If you sell your property and the new owner activates a
Signature or Pemier membership, you get 80% of the upfront
Cost back.
(***) If you sell your property and the new owner does not
activate the membership or any future owners do not
activate the membership, you will get 100% of the upfront
cost back after thirty (30) years from the date you acquired
your property.

Social Memberships
(*) Include fitness centers, club pools, 24 rounds rounds per
member of golf, practice tees
(**) Only can use Players, Members or Founders Courses
(***) To use the Reserve you have to have a monthly golf
subscription and not a social membership

Mo. Fees Current 1/1/15
Social Resident $173 $180
Food (Annual) $625 $650

Social Non Resident $110 $115
Food (Annual) $200 $200

Non Resident status can be for up to five (5) years
Social Memberships do NOT include tennis. If you want to
play tennis, you need a "sport" membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top