Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM

383 posts, read 891,465 times

Advertisements

Hi TRW11, I recently bought a golf course lot in SJP. I am 3 lots away from a pond. I did not want to have the pond in my backyard because of bugs. There is no problem with flooding of ponds since they have regulators to adjust the water levels. Now I am close enough to see it but not have any bugs. It is just personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Stoney, by my estimate you have a month under your belt down there. Any major or minor surprises? How about disapointments and you can't say pizza or bagels. Have you picked a builder or house plans yet?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 AM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
I can guarantee you had does not miss the NJ taxes or the traffic!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
Let's see now.... by the numbers......

Landed August 9th..... so it's over 2 full months now.

Taxes, we don't miss them !

Traffic, covered that previously, we haven't found any yet !

Bagels, yes, as expected / warned they aren't the best but not totally terrible.... way down on the list of worries / disappointments though.

Pizza, several places have excellent pizza, one is the new ( open just two months ) Yacht Basin Eatery right on the water between the Provisions Company and Fishy Fishy, owner/Chef Billie is from Midland Park, NJ and the food is just like back home especially the freshly baked bread and pizza..... great place, always full.

As far as surprises go, to be quite candid, we haven't had any surprises at all.... EXCEPT that it really is nicer than anticipated in almost every way, retirement, the people here, the place, the town of Southport down near the water, restaurants, Tommy Thompsons, etc. As you would imagine, we talk about this betwixt ourselves and with others ( other SJP newbies and oldies ) all the time and we are happy to report that we have not come up with any big surprises OR disappointments. The Commandant ( quite picky about this stuff ) is very happy with all the er, um.... womens' type stuff, hair, nails, "ETC" in the area and the barber I have hooked up with is quite competant ( 20 yrs in business same spot ) very happy in that regard. Food shopping is abundant and fresh seafood markets and local produce stands and fresh egg ( big orange yolks ) places abound.

We are about to close on our lot and I am at the moment working / tweaking a custom house plan ( CAD architectural program ), however as far as building it, I will be doing that myself as that is what I have been doing for years in NJ...... BUT I have met with at length and toured finished homes by quite a few of the builders down here ( SJP "preferred" and not "preferred" ) and I do have several of them that I would feel comfortable with, cost wise and construction wise if I were to use one..... just as we are / were happy with the services of our realtor who lives just down the street from us.

So, to recap..... we are very happy with our decision and excited about the prospects for our future here at St James.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-16-2014 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM

78 posts, read 199,674 times
We are hoping to move into SJP this spring.We told friends about SJP.They were there this past weekend for 3 days and were thrilled about SJP and Southport.They bought a lot.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM

Informational bulletin # SJP30876429.7

The pools were officially closed yesterday !

Old 10-26-2011, 05:40 AM

556 posts, read 622,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Informational bulletin # SJP30876429.7

The pools were officially closed yesterday !

I wasn't awre that the pools closed. Are they all closed? do you know when they open again?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 AM

Yes, getting a little chilly for pools, but not for anything else. They all close about this time each year I am told.... they re-open late March.... again, so I am told.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:00 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times
Thought they had an indoor pool which stayed open all year?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:04 AM

Yes that is true, the Members Club has an indoor pool open all year.... the "outdoor" pools are closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina