Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 PM

277 posts, read 436,275 times

Advertisements

The bus station downtown Raleigh still attracts loiterers even though there is a police presence. I'm extremely excited for these projects, I just think it will be difficult to keep undesirables from wondering around. It happens in every big city, not just Greenville-- so I don't see how we would be the exception.

There's so much development that it's kind of hard to keep track of what's been said...this is what has been said around the office, correct me if you've heard otherwise (although I'm getting this from an extremely reliable source). New apt. complex with mix of students and older adults where the city lot currently is, city parking lot is moving to where the old tobacco factory (the one that burned down) is, and a new apartment complex in the block due north of the fire station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
NCDOT: $30M awarded for major Greenville road project | WNCT

Quote:
Work on the project is scheduled to begin as soon as Sept. 28th. It should be completed by May 14, 2019.

The work will take place at night with the contractor not allowed to close or restrict any lanes between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., seven days a week on Stantonsburg Road and Memorial Drive. There also can’t be lane closures or restrictions on Farmville Boulevard, 10th Street, Bancroft Avenue, Line Avenue or 14th Street from 7 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. on Monday through Friday. During school operations, the afternoon restriction for 14th Street will begin at 3 p.m. Lane closures and restrictions also can’t take place on any of those roads from 12 hours before until 12 hours after any East Carolina University football games at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:17 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Great news. I thought it was going to take less time than 2019, but maybe they will finish earlier than anticipated. Hate that they have so many restrictions on the amount of time they can work on this road each day. Not being able to close a portions of the road will definitely make things a lot slower. But I understand the reasons why they can't close it all day (hospital & elementary school traffic). I wonder which end they are going to start on first!!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Great news. I thought it was going to take less time than 2019, but maybe they will finish earlier than anticipated. Hate that they have so many restrictions on the amount of time they can work on this road each day. Not being able to close a portions of the road will definitely make things a lot slower. But I understand the reasons why they can't close it all day (hospital & elementary school traffic). I wonder which end they are going to start on first!!
I would think it will be done in 2 phases. Like the Memorial to 14th St phase first...then get Memorial intersection straight...then that section can open to 14th and traffic can move just like it is now while the 2nd phase is being done.

Then the 14th to Evans section which is the bridge...that would be the second phase....and more complicated.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
About time! I was beginning to think I'd never read the announcement! I know it's been talked to death for years. I'm glad they're changing the lights to steel poles. I was in Greenville a few days ago due to a relative being in the ER at Vidant and ECU dermatology the next day, and was thinking how much better the lights would look on steel masts instead of wires. I wish I'd had more time to check out the rest of the city but I only got as far as Moye Boulevard since I came in on US-264/Stantonsburg Road and was on a real time constraint and had to drive back home through the night the following day. I will say this, and you guys can laugh, but just that area of Greenville I was in looked better than ANY part of Danville VA. No joke. Hopefully next time I come down I'll have more time to spare and it'll be on a better occasion! Lol. I'm real excited about the changes in Greenville. Ok, I've rambled enough. Shutting up now.

PS: I noticed the construction on the cancer center at Vidant was moving along pretty well. That'll be great for the region once it's done.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:43 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
For grins... Wouldn't it serve Greenville well to create a larger "water front" UpTown? Would it be possible to extend 1st Street into west Greenville and connect to Fairfax? Also, if there is need or room, loop White down/around closer to the river and adjoin the extended 1st street near 1st St apartments? (see photo) I haven't seen that area first hand so I don't know what the possibilities are. I know the city owns much of it.

If possible this creates a whole new economic development area for the city. Waterfront businesses, residents, boardwalk etc

Old 09-16-2015, 06:11 PM

144 posts, read 189,955 times
Default Student Center Webcam Installed

The construction webcam for the student center at the Health Sciences Campus has been installed. It looks like someone needs to check on it since it doesn't appear to have worked since 10 AM this morning. The link is: Construction Camera: Health Sciences Campus

Old 09-17-2015, 07:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Received an email with information from Uptown Greenville about the Dickinson Avenue Public House :

Quote:
Now introducing Dickinson Avenue Public House! After a having a successful soft opening, it has been announced they will have their grand opening September 23rd! The cuisine includes: American (New), American (Traditional), barbecue, brunch, burgers, Cajun/creole, sandwiches, soul food, southern, tapas bars, Tex-Mex and vegetarian. Food and fun for everyone!

Looks great! Can't wait to try it out next time I'm in Greenville!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:30 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
For grins... Wouldn't it serve Greenville well to create a larger "water front" UpTown? Would it be possible to extend 1st Street into west Greenville and connect to Fairfax? Also, if there is need or room, loop White down/around closer to the river and adjoin the extended 1st street near 1st St apartments? (see photo) I haven't seen that area first hand so I don't know what the possibilities are. I know the city owns much of it.

If possible this creates a whole new economic development area for the city. Waterfront businesses, residents, boardwalk etc

Your picture isn't working. But I don't think 1st St will get extended to Fairfax. First St Apartments isn't gonna give up their limited parking spots, without a battle. Plus the road cuts right through the Third St Community Center. Plus there isn't much reason to extend that way.

There is A LOT of talk about redeveloping the Town Commons, to bring more people that way!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:51 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Your picture isn't working. But I don't think 1st St will get extended to Fairfax. First St Apartments isn't gonna give up their limited parking spots, without a battle. Plus the road cuts right through the Third St Community Center. Plus there isn't much reason to extend that way.

There is A LOT of talk about redeveloping the Town Commons, to bring more people that way!
Attempt 2 at the pic: [IMG][/IMG]

From conversations with some UpTown folks it is my understanding that the city is open to the idea of waterfront development in West Greenville...

Some development of Town Common would be extremely beneficial, I do wish more of the river front was usable though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina