Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 PM

144 posts, read 189,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED83 View Post
IMO, I think Greenville has done fairly well without the presence of an interstate, this testifies to the overall potential and appeal of the Greenville area metro which I think will only continue to grow.The rate of growth the city has seen is remarkable and I think with upgrades to the ENC highway infrastructure as a region will help Greenville sustain this grow due to the fact that it is the hub of the area. This has got to be a regional effort to push Greenville to the next level, a regional mentality is need because we all know the attitude in Raleigh toward ENC, the large metros first along with the rest of the piedmont, western nc and all of ENC is left fighting for leftovers. I don't live in Greenville but I hope it continues to move forward without an interstate the rest of ENC needs Greenville to continue to move forward to bring attention to this region...Go Greenville!
If Greenville can't get an interstate (or even if they could), city leaders should start immediately trying to get a passenger and freight rail lines with a Greenville station, including a north-south line from Norfolk-Virginia Beach to Charleston/Savanah and an East-West line connecting Raleigh/Triangle to Morehead City, including a station in Little Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 PM

181 posts, read 241,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
I don't play disc golf, but I was wondering if a three hole course is something someone who does would be interested in or exited about? Also, what exactly is an adventure playground? Is it for kids 12 years old or younger? If so, would this feature be enough to attract parents with kids there, considering the surrounding area is mostly housing for ECU students?

Oh, and where is everyone suppose to park? How far are kayakers going to have to carry their kayaks to the landing? I imagine they will mostly be bigger sea kayaks instead of smaller whitewater kayaks.
Great questions. It's almost like someone had to have asked them by now. I just really don't agree with the city trying to make this neighborhood something that it isn't. But, at the same time, if you promote it for what it is, you may accentuate the negatives I suppose.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
Serious question - do you live here? Because if you live here and you're saying that, I would be absolutely stunned. And not I lived here 10 years ago, it's now. Now is different than even 5 years ago.
When I started this thread, yes, I lived in Greenville. I now live in the Washington, D.C. area, and I visit Greenville about every 3 months. With that being said: when I'm driving down 264 I don't feel as if things would be any different if it were upgraded to an interstate standard outside of Greenville being able to say "we have an interstate now!"

Old 11-09-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
If Greenville can't get an interstate (or even if they could), city leaders should start immediately trying to get a passenger and freight rail lines with a Greenville station, including a north-south line from Norfolk-Virginia Beach to Charleston/Savanah and an East-West line connecting Raleigh/Triangle to Morehead City, including a station in Little Washington.
I don't believe Amtrak would be interested in a Greenville station anymore, I have to ask: does anyone even know how the Amtrak bus to Wilson (or is it Rocky Mount?) is doing? Regarding freight, I'm not sure if Greenville has a large enough manufacturing base to need more freight lines. I'm not attempting to bash Greenville, I'm fairly supportive of Greenville, but we have to get serious in other areas to justify being taken serious in Raleigh. When are concern is building a new shopping center as opposed to attract a new factory, you realize: the city isn't too serious. I respect Mayor Thomas, but still the city must work more on attracting the jobs the community needs.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:39 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
when I'm driving down 264 I don't feel as if things would be any different if it were upgraded to an interstate standard outside of Greenville being able to say "we have an interstate now!"
I don't either. We essentially have interstate access to Raleigh. You can drive to Charlotte and never leave a limited access freeway. Once we have the same to Hampton Roads and Wilmington it will be even better. I don't think the interstate designation matters as much as it used to.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Quote:
I don't play disc golf, but I was wondering if a three hole course is something someone who does would be interested in or exited about? Also, what exactly is an adventure playground? Is it for kids 12 years old or younger? If so, would this feature be enough to attract parents with kids there, considering the surrounding area is mostly housing for ECU students?

Oh, and where is everyone suppose to park? How far are kayakers going to have to carry their kayaks to the landing? I imagine they will mostly be bigger sea kayaks instead of smaller whitewater kayaks.
I play disc golf occasionally...with that said - I have no clue why your would want to put a three hole course out there...such a waste of space in my opinion. What are you going to do - play the 3 holes over & over from different spots? I really don't understand that idea.

If there was an 'adventure' playground for kids (something nice that we don't already currently have around town)...then yes, I would bring my kids there. If I'm willing to visit the splash park in west greenville, ECU students certainly aren't going to bother me.

I wish they could build another splash park in another part of town. Heck, I'd even pay a dollar or two for each kid to go play if it was in a different area.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:49 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I don't either. We essentially have interstate access to Raleigh. You can drive to Charlotte and never leave a limited access freeway. Once we have the same to Hampton Roads and Wilmington it will be even better. I don't think the interstate designation matters as much as it used to.
Our economic developers have stated the exact opposite. When recruiting business to Pitt/Greenville, some businesses cross you off the list immediately if interstate access doesn't exist. They have to whittle down their list of suitors and this is one way to do it. Even if we have 264 which is surely interstate enough... They'll never get here to see it.

Its just another hurdle for the east and Greenville to overcome. At least with the 64 designation interstate access will be only 15 miles north of Greenville. Unfortunately if we couldn't get 264 upgraded and designated (for 70 million), what are the odds that we can build interstate grade to Bethel for a spur? I hope eventually 264 from Wilson to Greenville can be 795 north and or a spur from 64 can be built and connect to the Transpark.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Our economic developers have stated the exact opposite. When recruiting business to Pitt/Greenville, some businesses cross you off the list immediately if interstate access doesn't exist. They have to whittle down their list of suitors and this is one way to do it. Even if we have 264 which is surely interstate enough... They'll never get here to see it.

Its just another hurdle for the east and Greenville to overcome. At least with the 64 designation interstate access will be only 15 miles north of Greenville. Unfortunately if we couldn't get 264 upgraded and designated (for 70 million), what are the odds that we can build interstate grade to Bethel for a spur? I hope eventually 264 from Wilson to Greenville can be 795 north and or a spur from 64 can be built and connect to the Transpark.
Maybe we need new recruiters then because many cities have large factories without interstate access.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 AM

181 posts, read 241,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Maybe we need new recruiters then because many cities have large factories without interstate access.
And we too have a respectable manufacturing base without an interstate. I think the point is that we are no longer shooting to sustain the level that we're at. We're trying to step the game up here in every aspect. Expanding downtown, immediately improving general infrastructure, recruiting more white collar jobs to center city, expanding manufacturing as seen by the Patheon extension among a number of others like DSM's commitment to Greenville after the merger. The citizens have even spoken, voting at 70% for a sizable bond. We want more than what we've got here, and we're all willing to work for it. I think that yes, eventually in order to reach our goals in industry we will need an interstate, but I think the combo of 264 and the bypass will do for the next decade/decade and a half.

On top of that, we have substantially grown our manufacturing footprint in 3 years since Thomas took office. Can you believe that it literally has only been 3 years and already all of this stuff has happened??

Old 11-10-2015, 09:58 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
The State needs to have a plan to make the small upgrades needed for 264 to become an Interstate to Greenville. Period. If they can fix 64 coming out of Raleigh, then they can fix 264 as well. Both are about the same before I-95 and after you get past I-95.

That being said, the I-44 route in Bethel will make it so Greenville (and specifically the Industrial Parks in north Greenville) are much closer to an Interstate than they were...and being within 15 miles of an Interstate should not deter much in terms of economic development. FD is absolutely correct that Industry locators look specifically at that. They also look at rail spurs. Many ONLY consider sites that have both. Its not some inferiority complex as some have suggested. And existing Industry expansion (which Greenville has seen) and new industry locators are two entirely different things. In industry expansions, the investment has already been made. And keep in mind that if you don't improve big industries current situation, then they could find it more cost effective to move to another place that has everything they need.

What we also know is that just because you have those two things, doesn't mean you get big Industries coming in...see Rocky Mount for example. This is why you improve your crime rates, tear down dilapidated housing, and promote redevelopment.

It may just be priorities, and I-44 will be the priority...and that will actually be better than Greenville has now (for economic development purposes).

In terms of the Tar River Park plan...I completely agree that there is too much there and too many loose ends. In my opinion, its as simple as this...

1) Dog Park
2) River Access (Overlook and Kayak Launch)
3) Open Space...where you can play a pickup football game, layout, throw Frisbee, etc...
4) Parking
5) Restrooms
6) Frisbee Golf if there is room...but you need 9 holes.

There is no need for a playground (with the neighborhood demographics), there is no need to build a 3 hole Frisbee golf. You are better off just having more open space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina