Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM

181 posts, read 241,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
Panther, I work for the system and would be very surprised to see Vidant go under the State at any cost. I don't know what the answer is but I think you're closer to right that it would be somewhere in the middle of what you said. I've also heard it rumored now for some time that Vidant would buy/take over ECU's ECHI Cardiology practice. No idea as to the truth in that rumor - it may just be that. But perhaps that's a step in the process they've just announced.

Will be interesting for sure. The clinical EHR's and financial systems are already a single, integrated system separated by entity so the announcement seems more operational in nature.
Whatever happens, it's going to have to give Vidant and ECU the ability to transfer funds in order to make logical sense to me in terms of the gain from ECU's standpoint. In a way, it's almost like the recent streamlining of the EHRs and accounts payable/receivable systems that you mention point toward a possibility of that.

Because if Vidant just buys ECU's clinical practice and ECHI share out, how does Brody maintain any cashflow?

Good med schools like Brody can't survive without some kind of offered services...most of which come in the form of billion dollar hospitals. ECU Physicians is in awful financial shape right now, which is pissing its faculty off, but it still brings in enough money for the university to meet its 90-day cashflow standard.

The main reason that ECUP is losing 10 mil/year is of course because of lack of payment for treatment --but that's the nature of the beast in terms of ECU's mission statement, and being in ENC. But, the second biggest reason its biggest competitor works in the same facilities! In some ways, the Vidant/ECU partnership is critical. In other ways, it brings both of them down.

Who knows. In a perfect world the state would buy Vidant, but like you said, no one I've talked to says that's going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:09 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
Any word on possible retail going in beneath the Boundary?
Screenshot from cbre.com

Looks like it will be four units, with two still available. I guess the Provisions place will be some sort of convenience store?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:23 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
There's a building permit posted on at least one of the units. I saw it a couple days ago driving by but couldn't tell what it was.

Re: ECU Physicians. I saw a story on the news a few months ago that discussed billing collection problems by a state-owned medical practice. From what I remember they were having money problems because, being part of the state, state law prevented them from doing collections the way anyone else would. I just don't remember if the story was on one of our local channels and involved ECU or if it was on WRAL or WTVD and involved Rex/UNC. I would assume it would apply across the board though.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
There's a building permit posted on at least one of the units. I saw it a couple days ago driving by but couldn't tell what it was.

Re: ECU Physicians. I saw a story on the news a few months ago that discussed billing collection problems by a state-owned medical practice. From what I remember they were having money problems because, being part of the state, state law prevented them from doing collections the way anyone else would. I just don't remember if the story was on one of our local channels and involved ECU or if it was on WRAL or WTVD and involved Rex/UNC. I would assume it would apply across the board though.
It involved both, but it actually is that they have to deal with it like anyone else would.

The state law you're referring to was actually one that was repealed called SODCA. It gave state-supported institutions the ability to take unpaid medical bills out of someone's tax returns if unpaid after a significant period of time. This is something that private or semi-private healthcare providers can't do.

The law got struck down because of a ton of lobbying among other reasons, and it was aimed at the immense profits that UNC Health Care was making vs. its competitors (WakeMed, Duke, etc.). But, there is an actual tradeoff. Someone like ECU Physicians or UNC Health Care is required by law to take on a patient that likely isn't going to pay, whereas private or semi-private providers can turn them away. That's why the law, in some form, made sense.

They took the law away and kept the provision forcing ECU and UNC to see those patients. UNC could make up for it because they own a hospital network that makes billions of dollars. ECU got screwed -- big time. That's why when the state budget gave extra money to the med schools last year, even UNC (whose higher ups loathe the fact that ECU has a med school and that it's so successful) stepped aside and was like "Yeah, they can have it"

Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
It involved both, but it actually is that they have to deal with it like anyone else would.

The state law you're referring to was actually one that was repealed called SODCA. It gave state-supported institutions the ability to take unpaid medical bills out of someone's tax returns if unpaid after a significant period of time. This is something that private or semi-private healthcare providers can't do.

The law got struck down because of a ton of lobbying among other reasons, and it was aimed at the immense profits that UNC Health Care was making vs. its competitors (WakeMed, Duke, etc.). But, there is an actual tradeoff. Someone like ECU Physicians or UNC Health Care is required by law to take on a patient that likely isn't going to pay, whereas private or semi-private providers can turn them away. That's why the law, in some form, made sense.

They took the law away and kept the provision forcing ECU and UNC to see those patients. UNC could make up for it because they own a hospital network that makes billions of dollars. ECU got screwed -- big time. That's why when the state budget gave extra money to the med schools last year, even UNC (whose higher ups loathe the fact that ECU has a med school and that it's so successful) stepped aside and was like "Yeah, they can have it"
I've had several conversations with high end physician/faculty at Brody and they spent hours and hours in Raleigh at the capital explaining ECU's situation to politicians wanting to pass legislation without any real sense of why things are they way they are.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Screenshot from cbre.com

Looks like it will be four units, with two still available. I guess the Provisions place will be some sort of convenience store?
So a convenience store and a Smoothie place...that's a good start. Still not sure why the leasing office would remain on 5th St...but maybe they want to keep that space for when they start the new project on 10th St.

Would love to see something "Panera" like in that big spot...

Old 03-10-2016, 09:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
So a convenience store and a Smoothie place...that's a good start. Still not sure why the leasing office would remain on 5th St...but maybe they want to keep that space for when they start the new project on 10th St.

Would love to see something "Panera" like in that big spot...
A burger place (Hwy 55?) probably would be good there.

Another place that would be good somewhere in the city would be a Bad Daddy's burger bar (Bad Daddy's Burger Bar Menu & Locations)

It's a "chain" that started in Charlotte, but I swear they have some of the best burgers I've ever had.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:13 AM

13 posts, read 13,364 times
Those are probably built by now. They're nice on the inside and have a decent location.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:09 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
The problem with these retail locations is the lack of general public parking to get to them. You have to either park at the main uptown lot or the parking deck...and walk...granted, it's not the end of the world to have to walk a little, I think it will deter many. These spots will rely on the students living above them & campus community to walk over to keep them in business in most cases.

The BB&T lot across the street is monitored like a damn gold mine. I couldn't even park there a few weeks ago to run into Jimmy Johns for 1 minute to grab food...waste of a good parking lot.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
The problem with these retail locations is the lack of general public parking to get to them. You have to either park at the main uptown lot or the parking deck...and walk...granted, it's not the end of the world to have to walk a little, I think it will deter many. These spots will rely on the students living above them & campus community to walk over to keep them in business in most cases.

The BB&T lot across the street is monitored like a damn gold mine. I couldn't even park there a few weeks ago to run into Jimmy Johns for 1 minute to grab food...waste of a good parking lot.
That deal with the BB&T lot is absolutely ridiculous. They've got people monitoring it when Bicycle Post and the bank is closed. Stupidest thing I've ever seen, and honestly it's a waste of money.

But, my understanding is that within the next few years, that stretch of Reade Circle is going to become a one-way road with on-street parking. Now, of course that won't be ample parking, but it'll add more.

I think the reality is, if you ask any city what their biggest challenges are, parking is definitely high on that list. Doesn't take away any truth to it though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina