U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2014, 11:42 AM
 
328 posts, read 330,448 times
Reputation: 260

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I wouldn't consider Ohio State unless TCU, Baylor and Miss St. lose two games - then we can entertain the idea of a "BIG" school getting serious consideration.
Why not?

Isnt one of the criteria is having conference champions moved to the top of the pack?

So many Ohio St haters out there. Three weeks ago many here and on ESPN and FOX talked about how Mich St would win the B10 they will be one of the top 4, now Ohio St destroys Mich St with a freshman QB and no one is talking Ohio St.

This thread was started way early in the season so we could see if anyone could pick or predict what is happening now. Many are just now posting their top four late in the season which is fine considering your changing your names around week by week.

Back in Sept I picked two teams I think will be in the final four. Alabama and Oregon.

Now the season has progressed my thoughts are-

Fla St is not a top 4 team period and should have 2 losses now. But winning a weak ACC will get them in.

TCU is not a top 4 team period.

We like I predicted will have a dog fight with the final four teams as this year there is no clear No 1 or No 2 teams.


My predictions as of today based like many are doing after all these upsets.

Alabama
Oregon
Ohio St ( if they win B10 you cannot leave them out )
Fla St

Baylor, TCU, Miss St are on the outside looking in I believe.

Things will change. More upsets will come.


So what do you think? Should it be the real top and best teams period or should conf champs get auto bids right into the top 4?

Which way would you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2014, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,568 posts, read 4,525,868 times
Reputation: 2494
RIGHT NOW I'd go:

1) Alabama- Have done more than FSU will do the next 2 years
2) Oregon- didn't win......but also didn't lose this week either
3) Miss State- played a tough game @ Alabama very tough place to win. Will drop out of #1 but shouldn't drop out of top 4 entirely
4) Florida State- I really, really want to drop them out entirely, but they are undefeated while TCU who I want to replace them with lost a game scoring 58 points and almost lost to Kansas.......in football, Baylor lost to West Virginia & Ohio State lost at home to a team that will be lucky to become bowl eligible at the end of the season.
-------------------
5) Baylor
6) Ohio State

Rest of top 10:
7) TCU
8) Kansas State
9) UCLA
10) Ole Miss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 AM
 
328 posts, read 330,448 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
RIGHT NOW I'd go:

1) Alabama- Have done more than FSU will do the next 2 years
2) Oregon- didn't win......but also didn't lose this week either
3) Miss State- played a tough game @ Alabama very tough place to win. Will drop out of #1 but shouldn't drop out of top 4 entirely
4) Florida State- I really, really want to drop them out entirely, but they are undefeated while TCU who I want to replace them with lost a game scoring 58 points and almost lost to Kansas.......in football, Baylor lost to West Virginia & Ohio State lost at home to a team that will be lucky to become bowl eligible at the end of the season.
-------------------
5) Baylor
6) Ohio State

Rest of top 10:
7) TCU
8) Kansas State
9) UCLA
10) Ole Miss

Nice discussion.

But Va Tech just beat Duke who many thought was a decent team and they called it an upset.

Dont forget, committee knows that Ohio St game was early and with a brand new freshman QB.

Had Braxton Miller played that game Ohio St would be undefeated right now.

They already mentioned metrics like this and dropped TCU for losing a game by 3 points hurt them with no injured starters when they felt TCU a week earlier was so great.

At this point in the season I am dead on correct with my prediction. But anything can happen in the SEC.

I stated that Alabama has the best team overall in the country, lacking at QB and with Amari Cooper and Yelding they could win it all. They are sitting at No 1 right now and looking better then anyone at this point.

SEC is by far the best conference and brutal to play hard hitting smack in your face football every week.

PAC 12 could not compete against most SEC teams on a weekly basis. ESPN guys are all talking about how good the PAC 12 is. Not!!! Maybe 2 good teams at the most while the SEC has 6-7 really good teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 10:55 AM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,750,037 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Why not?

Isnt one of the criteria is having conference champions moved to the top of the pack?

So many Ohio St haters out there. Three weeks ago many here and on ESPN and FOX talked about how Mich St would win the B10 they will be one of the top 4, now Ohio St destroys Mich St with a freshman QB and no one is talking Ohio St.

This thread was started way early in the season so we could see if anyone could pick or predict what is happening now. Many are just now posting their top four late in the season which is fine considering your changing your names around week by week.

Back in Sept I picked two teams I think will be in the final four. Alabama and Oregon.

Now the season has progressed my thoughts are-

Fla St is not a top 4 team period and should have 2 losses now. But winning a weak ACC will get them in.

TCU is not a top 4 team period.

We like I predicted will have a dog fight with the final four teams as this year there is no clear No 1 or No 2 teams.


My predictions as of today based like many are doing after all these upsets.

Alabama
Oregon
Ohio St ( if they win B10 you cannot leave them out )
Fla St

Baylor, TCU, Miss St are on the outside looking in I believe.

Things will change. More upsets will come.


So what do you think? Should it be the real top and best teams period or should conf champs get auto bids right into the top 4?

Which way would you go?
Why should a 1 loss B1G team make the playoffs over a 1 loss Big 12 team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
225 posts, read 443,047 times
Reputation: 99
1)Florida State 2)Alabama 3)Oregon 4)Mississippi State;

1)FSU- simply because they are the most resilient team in college football, best QB in college football, defending National Champs and to be the best you have to beat the best.

2)Alabama- Just beat the #1 team, probably is going to win out the toughest division in college football

3)Oregon- Probably playing the best football of any team, legitimate QB contender

4)Baylor- If the committee is going to way on conference champs, then there should be no way a 1 loss conference champion should get skip.

First Three Out
5)Mississippi State- only loss to Alabama
6)TCU- only loss to Baylor by 3
7)Ohio State- Big 10 favorite, Virginia Tech loss hurts, worst lost among 1 lost teams.

Last edited by Chico020; 11-20-2014 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Adding infomation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 07:56 PM
 
328 posts, read 330,448 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Why should a 1 loss B1G team make the playoffs over a 1 loss Big 12 team?

Why would any B12 team be considered over a B10 team?


Even the top team in the B12 TCU is lucky to have one loss.

Baylor and TCU being the best teams in the conference shows me it is one weak conference.

Oklahoma and Texas both are going downhill fast.

B10 has their share of low end teams but the B12 has more then half their teams below 60% winning percentage.

And... The 1 loss Ohio St lost their starting QB and played a brand new QB the only loss of the season. NO way would Va Tech beat them today as this freshman is one of the best QBs in the country by rating. Last I looked this freshman is the 4th best ranked QB.

The committee is suppose to look at things like this. This is why a weak Fla State and undefeated is not No. 1 because people who know football can see they are not the best. Then today they luck out again and just got by Boston College.

FSU should drop to No. 6. Ohio St moves up to No 5 and then one of the top 4 teams will lose hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 08:17 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,750,037 times
Reputation: 1457
In case you haven't noticed, TCU has an exceptional football program, and has for many years, with the exception of the first 2 years in the big 12. And Baylor has had the best offense in the country for the last few years. Just because these programs are "new" to the big time doesn't mean its a fluke when they win their conference..

Baylor's best win vs #5 TCU
Ohio States best win vs #11 MSU
Baylor's second best win vs #22 OU
Ohio State's second best win vs #25 Minnesota (It's a joke that they didn't drop either after a home loss)
Baylor's loss to a 4 loss WVU who has lost 3 ranked teams and Texas
Ohio States loss to a 5 loss team at HOME who has been beaten by 4 unranked teams.

No justification as to why Ohio State deserves to be ranked over Baylor at all.

Last edited by TexasTallest; 11-22-2014 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 08:17 PM
 
328 posts, read 330,448 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Why should a 1 loss B1G team make the playoffs over a 1 loss Big 12 team?

No, it is not the biggest loss by a 1 loss team.

TCU barely got by lowly Kansas and barely beat West Virginia.

Baylor I think is the best B12 team but I do not think they would beat Alabama, Oregon, Ohio St, Miss St or even Fla St.

Committee stated they would look strong at all metrics and Ohio St with their regular QB would be undefeated right now but those Ohio St and B10 haters would still complain if Ohio St gets in.


Any team of the top 4 losses Ohio St should be a shoo in. I am also hoping they see Fla St as a weak team and barely survived 4 losses already.

Being undefeated in a very weak conference like the ACC means nothing. Their schedule has been discussed as the weakest of all top 10 teams. But they could have 4 losses easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,750,037 times
Reputation: 1457
Agreed, Florida state has been proven to be a joke..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 PM
 
328 posts, read 330,448 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Agreed, Florida state has been proven to be a joke..

I dont like when someone says they won it all last year. That means nothing at all.

For me if it were my decision and I would not make it a biased on my criteria would be.

They are suppose to pick the best 4 teams. I believe they should have went with 6 myself.

Schedule - Who did you beat or lose to and by how much was the loss.

Conference strength - Any true football fan snows at least 3 of the best teams are really in the SEC. But no one wants to see 3 from one conference.

Conference champs - Yes this matters but we have 5 power conferences, how can you pick from 5 with only 4 picks which makes me believe we need to go to 6.

Undefeated - If and yes if you schedule shows you beat tough teams and have none of the Fla St like teams who could have easily beat you.

This will stop teams from playing pansy teams twice a year. Come on, when someone plays teams like Louisiana Monroe or the Citadel and your suppose to be a power team then points need to be taken away from you.

** Last but not least, Fla St has to play Florida and Georgia Tech yet. I am hoping one of these teams knock them off so people will see they are an easy 3-4 loss team that lucked out to get wins on 4 games so far.

** And Fla St has a criminal at QB. Any other team would have suspended a player accused of rape, stole crab legs etc. This QB would not be playing at all if he were at Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Ohio St, Miss St and many other schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top