Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 PM

207 posts, read 452,559 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
If you want a dose of "Northeast rudness" the best places to find them IMHO are Boston. Take a trip and pee some people off and watch it fly.

I get a kick out of it now because I've realized the loudest most brash people are generally the most insecure and weak. It's the quiet guy with ink just peaking through in spots and a shaved head you need to watch out for.
LOL I will be sure and NOT do that thank you though.

Cara, no problem at all What type of things do you like to do?? Or maybe try something you have always wanted to do. You could start there. And Good for you pay no mind to the negativity and bigoted comments from some of the people on here. Again I have only been here a month and we love it. Couldn't imagine a better place for our family....well maybe Umbria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 04:50 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
What is a car club???

Actually, that was a car show, but there were many car clubs there displaying their blood sweat and tears. It's a social group of guys and sometimes gals with a common interest in cars. Sometimes it's brand specific such as a "Camaro Club" or "Mustang Club" or "Subaru Club" etc. Sometimes it's "50's cars" etc.

Over the years I've been involved with many, started some, helped with others etc. A couple of us are thinking of starting a new one as we've transitioned from "zoomies" to overpowered turbodiesel pickups and are into sled pulling, 1/8 mile drags etc with the trucks. We are thinking of calling it "Hillbilly Hotrods".

If you want to check out the show above, they shut down Main Street Manchester for the day and have food, bands, etc Good time.

http://www.cruisinonmainstreet.org

(Fbam, that's something you can do with the family too, even if you are not into cars, it's cool to see all the classics.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
Richlee: Can I get more information about the car club thing? Is it only for luxurous car? I think this is something my husband could be interested in. He LOVES his jeep wrangler. He has that weird habit of waving to everyone with a jeep wrangler! LOL
Oooh, he's a Jeep guy! I loved my Jeeps! Wheeling is somewhat limited here in CT because you might squish a toadfly or something, but there are still get togethers etc. Most times the "guys" have "wives" or "girlfriends" with them at the meets etc so you can make connections that way too.

Jeepin.com
JeepsUnlimited.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin <--has a region specific forum.

Oh and wave is a Jeep thing. If he's doing it, he's kind of in the "know".

Last edited by JViello; 04-24-2010 at 05:01 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 06:25 AM

108 posts, read 270,584 times
Cara, I think you might try to make friends with an older crowd. When I was 21, I was dating a guy who was 30, most of my friends were in their late 20's, early 30's. I have always had a hard time relating to people that were the same age as me. It is only NOW that I am close to 30 that I can relate to people close to my age. I know they say women mature faster than boys, but sometimes women can mature faster than other women :-)

The gym idea mentioned was a good one. Are you interested in spin classes, or anything like that? In general, it is usually women that attend spin classes. I have met a couple of really great friends from hanging out at a coffee shop too. I happen to be sitting next to someone and they comment on my book and the conversation goes from there. That might be an idea. Also, be friendly and open. I think people may be more reserved out here, but it has been MY experience that a big smile usually opens them right up! This might not be very safe out here (well I don't think it would be in New Haven), but in the past I have found a workout buddy from Craigslist. She and I wound up being REALLY great friends! You have to use your instincts with that one and kinda feel the person out before meeting them, and of course meet in a public place.

Let us know if you try any of the ideas suggested!

I only moved to CT 3 weeks ago, so I sorta understand where you are coming from. I don't think CT is Hell, but I can understand the uncertainty that comes from being in a new place! I have done this a couple of times!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is a group of people who get together to socialize with others who own the same type of cars. There are all types of car clubs including Corvette Clubs, Mustang Clubs, Classic Car Clubs, etc... Jay
Oh! I have never been to a car show, but have passed them. I didn't realize they were part of a "club" ! Makes sense and sounds like fun, though!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,756,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Oh! I have never been to a car show, but have passed them. I didn't realize they were part of a "club" ! Makes sense and sounds like fun, though!
Clubs sponsor shows, but by no means are they restricted to members only. As I mentioned, the show in Southbury is sponsored by the Roaring '20s Antique & Classic Car Club, Inc. You don't need to be a member to attend.

NOTE: Shows are different from cruises as the latter are often held on a regular basis at a diner or neutral site (Marcus Dairy, Danbury). Also, there's usually a fee to attend shows, but cruises tend to be free.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:18 PM

56 posts, read 134,820 times
Rich Lee: Thank you for the informations

Fbam: Connecticut is pretty and seems to be very family oriented and safer compared to Florida, I'm sure it was a good move for you guys.I enjoy both outdoors and indoors activities from fishing, kayaking, jet skiing, going to the beach ( yes, I'm water type of person!) , movies, shopping..I've gone parasailing twice and wanted to skydive but chickened out the day before we were supposed to do it..It was to risky for me but some friends who've done it said it's fun oh well...I know that you said you're not the social butterfly type but what activities have you done in CT?

Mrs.Carly: You got it right on and I agree. I'm taking all the advices that you guys gave me. It's very interesting that you pointed out the reading thing because not only there's a barnes & noble not far away from my house but I love to read. So that should definetly help!

JViello: That looks like so much fun! I've never been to a car show before but I'm interested too! I saw that the next show will be in August in Manchester You can definetly count me in!!!!! didn't know about the "waving" thing..It sure is a "jeep wrangler owner thing"

Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
JViello: That looks like so much fun! I've never been to a car show before but I'm interested too! I saw that the next show will be in August in Manchester You can definetly count me in!!!!! didn't know about the "waving" thing..It sure is a "jeep wrangler owner thing"
Didn't it start as a Volkswagen Beetle thing?
http://books.google.com/books?id=rM8...0other&f=false

Old 04-24-2010, 09:39 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Didn't it start as a Volkswagen Beetle thing?
Popular Mechanics - Google Books
I'd be willing to bet that 'Vette owners were doing the wave before Bug owners did.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 PM

207 posts, read 452,559 times
So far we have done a lot of hiking and going to parks. We have been to Northwest park in Windsor a bunch of times (suggested by Jviello) and we love it. Lots of great trails and there is basically a petting zoo. (We have 2 small kids so that's great for us) You on the other hand might not get such a big kick out of feeding cows We spend a lot of time driving around to different parks and pretty spots where we can walk with the girls and take pictures. Gay City State park was pretty, Wickam Park, Wadsworth Falls and a few other places. We just started to get to know the neighbors and just got back from dinner with them. If we didn't have kids I don't know how we would meet anyone since its something we have in common. Manchester has a huge shopping district and we have gone to the mall a few times. There is a mall in west Hartford that was pretty awesome too- lots of stores they didn't have in St.Pete. We have only been here a month so we are still figuring things out for ourselves.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'd be willing to bet that 'Vette owners were doing the wave before Bug owners did.
Maybe. But Beetles pre-date Corvettes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut