Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 09:38 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I read neither Lori or her husband finished college and regretted that despite success, so they wanted their kids to get degrees. I DO think Olivia wanted to go though, she did want the college experience.
Olivia wanted the college experience of partying and going to game days, that's what she said on a video. I don't know how they raised her, but I think there was a lot of value they put on looking a certain way and I think they wanted to cash in on it, too. They encouraged her in her social media ventures. They just wanted everything - a successful famous daughter who went to a prestigious college. Perfection, but they fell far from that goal, should've been happy with the child they had, not that smart, but confident in trying new things and ventures. She seemed happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 05:43 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Olivia wanted the college experience of partying and going to game days, that's what she said on a video. I don't know how they raised her, but I think there was a lot of value they put on looking a certain way and I think they wanted to cash in on it, too. They encouraged her in her social media ventures. They just wanted everything - a successful famous daughter who went to a prestigious college. Perfection, but they fell far from that goal, should've been happy with the child they had, not that smart, but confident in trying new things and ventures. She seemed happy.

I don’t know them personally, I’ve never read anything that states that they’re arrogant, and there’s absolutely no reason to believe that I know or you know or anyone else knows their motives or intentions or what they find importance in.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:08 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

Seems pretty clear to me, you pay X amount of dollars to Singer (CW-1) and his fake charity, he then uses that money to bribe test proctors to change test scores or bribes coaches of various sports teams to lie and say your child is a recruit and they want them on their team, then your kid gets accepted to XYZ school!

I'm no lawyer, but you think it's legal to pay someone to use that money to bribe another person to change test scores and/or lie about recruiting your child to play a specific sport in college?
That's what I'm asking. Is that actually illegal in the private sense. Yes it's illegal to bribe public officials but is it illegal to bribe private employees? I can see it as a civil matter between employer and employee but is it a criminal matter? What is the statue that has been broken?

I'm really trying to understand how this becomes a federal crime rather than a civil matter.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 AM

937 posts, read 743,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
They just wanted everything - a successful famous daughter who went to a prestigious college. Perfection, but they fell far from that goal, should've been happy with the child they had, not that smart, but confident in trying new things and ventures. She seemed happy.
This.

The daughters seemed to be treated like princesses on a pedestal. They did not even require them to attend high school classes as often as other students so they could pursue other things like the social media venture. The daughter joked that her classmates probably didn't even know who she was because she was never at high school.

In the videos, Lori seems to treat the daughter with kid gloves like she is this delicate precious little flower of a princess. I don't know, maybe it was just an act for the camera and not how they interact in real life. She wanted her to have this really fun, exciting, relatively easy life raking in cash and fame with the social media pursuits but then also to have the prestige and status of the USC degree without the extremely difficult work and stress of achieving it.

She wanted the pampered princess daughters to have it all and that was her downfall.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's what I'm asking. Is that actually illegal in the private sense. Yes it's illegal to bribe public officials but is it illegal to bribe private employees? I can see it as a civil matter between employer and employee but is it a criminal matter? What is the statue that has been broken?

I'm really trying to understand how this becomes a federal crime rather than a civil matter.
Again the parents deducted the bribe money, so that makes it Federall. I’m sure though if you look at the charges and how they apply it would be clear, they are out there publicly.

Why though is the Laughlin family getting the brunt of the anger? Something like 33 patents were arrested, you think they’re any less arrogant or their kids any less spoiled?? You don’t think they all are privileged and take advantage of it?

Not asking you personally just in general everyone seems to have the pitchforks out mainly for her.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-18-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I drove by the motel where Jerry Lundegaard was taken down the other day and couldn't help but think those were probably better times for him.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:20 AM

391 posts, read 424,596 times
Quote:

This is problematic for me too. Do the parents even know what processes this "consultant" was using? If you're going to allege that they're complicit in the fraud then what they knew and when they knew it becomes very important. And that seems difficult to prove...

It seems entirely possible that the parents involvement may have been no more than "I pay this guy $XXX and my kid gets accepted". Considering the almost standard practice of making donations in exchange for preferential admissions treatment I wouldn't be surprised if some of these parents had no idea that illegal activity was going on. If they didn't know then is it right to charge them with a crime?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
This is problematic for me too. Do the parents even know what processes this "consultant" was using? If you're going to allege that they're complicit in the fraud then what they knew and when they knew it becomes very important. And that seems difficult to prove...

It seems entirely possible that the parents involvement may have been no more than "I pay this guy $XXX and my kid gets accepted". Considering the almost standard practice of making donations in exchange for preferential admissions treatment I wouldn't be surprised if some of these parents had no idea that illegal activity was going on. If they didn't know then is it right to charge them with a crime?
The parents paid not him, but the bribes, through the sham charity. The parents deducted them from their taxes as charitable deductions. The parents took the staged pics. The parents filled out applications listing sports their kids never competed in, and included the fake pics. The parents brought their kids to fake docs to get fake diagnoses then took those fake diagnoses to the testing sites to request extra time for their kids. Of course they knew. They actively participated.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 AM

949 posts, read 572,085 times
Quote:
That's my point. What did they obtain? They paid for the school. What was the school defrauded of? Everyone is throwing around words like fraud and bribery but I'm trying to find the actual criminal event. What is the law on bribing a private employee vs public servant? Perhaps this is the wrong forum to ask because I'm interested in a legal understanding. How does a prosecution build a case? How would the defense proceed? Could they even get a fair trial given the publicity and prejudgenent going on?
It is a fine line, but not an uncommon action. If they advertised that they were auctioning off their admissions process then that would be fine.
Schools are designed to select the brightest based on admissions testing, not an admissions auction.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again the parents deducted the bribe money, so that makes it Federall. I’m sure though if you look at the charges and how they apply it would be clear, they are out there publicly.

Why though is the Laughlin family getting the brunt of the anger? Something like 33 patents were arrested, you think they’re any less arrogant or their kids any less spoiled?? You don’t think they all are privileged and take advantage of it?

Not asking you personally just in general everyone seems to have the pitchforks out mainly for her.
Because Aunt Becky is a lot better known than Jane Buckingham and Greg Abbott. Most people have no idea who the latter two are.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-18-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events