Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM

945 posts, read 967,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
shouldn't have to defend yourself if you aren't attacking women. clearly has serious mommy issues.
It was mentioned in another post that sounded like I was being chauvinistic, so I wanted to try my best to convey that I wasn't attacking women just trying to have a civil discussion about psychology amongst random women and men. Nothing more, nothing less, this wasn't a trojan thread to slam women.

Mommy issues? Geeze if question something a woman does I have that? I never heard the clinical definition of "mommy issues", does it mean I love my mom? I surely do, and my pops too! They are great people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
You know, OP, if you prefer your women without makeup, that is perfectly fine. I'm sure there are many woman who would appreciate that about you. But when your personal preference crosses into judging others for their preferences, it's a good way to alienate others.

You asked a question. I answered it from my point of view. Today I happen to be wearing minimal makeup. I have an event tomorrow for which I will go for a bit more elegant look. For me, I wear it because I can, it's fun, it's aesthetically pleasing to me, it adds variety. I don't do it to sexually attract men. I happen to LOVE painted toenails. I know some men hate that. But that's ok because I do it for me, not them.

I find it quite impressive how artistic and beautiful makeup can be. I love seeing "with and without makeup" photos, such as in these links. Same reason I love home makeovers. Variety, beauty, creativity, fun!

https://www.google.com/search?q=beyo...ZvGHrk2OYbONM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=beyo...sfOF6uGsDdSYM:
I may judge someone within my own mind, but I hope you don't think I grab people on the street and tell people that you are wearing too much make-up because....

I have no problem with make-up in itself, I guess my problem is why the most revered people in our lives (parents, friends, partners) are given the most honest display of our base, natural beauty without fear but strangers or lesser beholden folks are given the best portrayal of ourselves.

Again, why does practicality go out the window when a man or woman goes to the Mall to shop and has to get "ready" (hair, make-up, nice clothes etc for women/men) but when we spend casual time at home with our most dearest we resort to practicality (sweat pants and no make-up) around them. It just seems odd to me, and reverse in logic and I want to understand why the majority of people do so.

If the opposite were true, it would make much more sense because it is a show of respect to the ones you care about the most? I care what my family and friends think of me more than random strangers or coworkers. Any thoughts?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?

Everyone has their own reason for wearing make up or not wearing make up. I personally go more days not wearing any than I do wearing it. When I do it is a wee bit of eye shadow and lipstick and just a touch of mascara. A wee bit of make up can go a long way to making your skin look better and your overall natural beauty enhanced BUT that is ONLY if you use very little make up and apply it properly. I have gone everywhere and done everything both wearing and not wearing make up but I personally only use it when I want to use it and not to impress anyone else because I quit caring what others think of me on any level many years ago.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Everyone has their own reason for wearing make up or not wearing make up. I personally go more days not wearing any than I do wearing it. When I do it is a wee bit of eye shadow and lipstick and just a touch of mascara. A wee bit of make up can go a long way to making your skin look better and your overall natural beauty enhanced BUT that is ONLY if you use very little make up and apply it properly. I have gone everywhere and done everything both wearing and not wearing make up but I personally only use it when I want to use it and not to impress anyone else because I quit caring what others think of me on any level many years ago.

You are my kind of girl

Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,013,787 times
Quote:
Please, everyone puts make-up on for the same reason. To enhance what features they feel uncomfortable naturally showing. Make-up is just that, to make-up your features and exaggerate them.

If you didn't care about your skin when you are a teenage, you aren't far from the foolish kids of today who tan round the clock to look like their favorite MTV star and sacrifice beauty on the back end of their life. Some people are smart, some are dumb. Some people realize over exposure to the sun and tanning beds isn't just going to make your skin wrinkle, it will elevate your cancer probability which is why anyone who does so isn't very smart.

I am not wrong, this isn't an opinion. Women put on make-up for sexual/aesthetic appeal.

As many reasonable men have mentioned, it makes already pretty women marginally more attractive and (I saw 5%) and I have to agree with that. I instantly think something is wrong with someone who over does make-up because it means they feel the need to hide something. Someone who uses very little or no make-up and is beautiful is the kind of girl that has it right and has her priorities straight.

Extrapolate all the time women or men spend getting ready (I can specifically remember my mom growing up spending at least 1 hour doing this and that before work.) over a lifetime and you've wasted immense amounts of time that could be better spent with your husband, children, hobby, something more stimulating than making sure the people at your office think you are aesthetically appealing or sexy.

I don't do anything to the outside of my house because it makes my property taxes go up, so I guess all in all I don't care what people think about me or my stuff? I let the vain be vain, and I do what pleases me.
To me, you just negated any point you were trying to make. You guys really want it all...I mean, why wouldn't you, but surely you can see this is hypocritical. You think, without a doubt, that women's sole function to wear makeup is to attract a mate. Wrong. Many have pointed out that it is something they actually enjoy doing, for themselves, of their own accord. You've asserted that once a woman is married, she shouldn't want to look pretty. WOW. Perhaps if you think about that long enough you'll see your error. How many guys say "my wife let herself go"? What do you want? Do you want her to still have some self respect and do the things that make her feel good or do you want her to stop all of that (or just the makeup)?

And then let's also consider another reason women might actually wear makeup - a practical one - How many unattractive women get promoted? How many get noticed by managers at work for good work? I honestly don't want you to answer because you can't relate - being a dude and all. I absolutely know at my old job that I was passed over many times for the way I looked. And the crap people would say to my face, as if it's ok, when I didn't wear makeup to work. Maybe I didn't feel well and sometimes I just didn't want to. I take care of my skin and have healthy hair. I'm actually really lucky my skin is youthful as well, but it leaves a bad memory of the unkind comments.

So, in the morning, I say, I like being a girl and enjoy all these beauty products. I'll do a swab of this and a swipe of that and that will make me feel nice enough to be presentable. On the other hand, I spent two weeks at home over the holidays and didn't wear makeup once. It's ALL about my mood. If I feel like raking leaves in fake eyelashes and lipgloss, by God, I'm going to do it.

You and your ideas...I want to be more appreciative that you're just asking for knowledge sake, but your attitude isn't very nice.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
To me, you just negated any point you were trying to make. You guys really want it all...I mean, why wouldn't you, but surely you can see this is hypocritical. You think, without a doubt, that women's sole function to wear makeup is to attract a mate. Wrong. Many have pointed out that it is something they actually enjoy doing, for themselves, of their own accord. You've asserted that once a woman is married, she shouldn't want to look pretty. WOW. Perhaps if you think about that long enough you'll see your error. How many guys say "my wife let herself go"? What do you want? Do you want her to still have some self respect and do the things that make her feel good or do you want her to stop all of that (or just the makeup)?
I simply said, logic would lead you to believe make-up is to present a better than natural look. Make-up is hardly for you directly, its for others to see. Others feelings and reactions about your make-up enhanced look is what you are trying to accomplish.

Quote:
And then let's also consider another reason women might actually wear makeup - a practical one - How many unattractive women get promoted? How many get noticed by managers at work for good work? I honestly don't want you to answer because you can't relate - being a dude and all. I absolutely know at my old job that I was passed over many times for the way I looked. And the crap people would say to my face, as if it's ok, when I didn't wear makeup to work. Maybe I didn't feel well and sometimes I just didn't want to. I take care of my skin and have healthy hair. I'm actually really lucky my skin is youthful as well, but it leaves a bad memory of the unkind comments.
So now there is another comment you made that accompanies my above mentioned logic. It is for a vain purpose to get promoted? (Your essential words, not mine.) You are starting to lose credibility because all the women in prominent positions at my work are not by any definition the model of beauty (poorly done make-up, overweight, etc) and they have some how broken the mold according to you. If you truly possess the undeniable skills needed for a promotion then you more than likely would have been granted it. You are probably rationalizing the lack of qualifications you possess for the targeted position on something trivial like your looks to compensate for the failure to get the promotion. (My 10,000 foot opinion.)

If people slammed your appearance to your face, why did you not take it up with HR? Any real company that would have overlooked your qualifications for a looker is destine to be in deep trouble, at least if I an executive for that company.

Quote:
So, in the morning, I say, I like being a girl and enjoy all these beauty products. I'll do a swab of this and a swipe of that and that will make me feel nice enough to be presentable. On the other hand, I spent two weeks at home over the holidays and didn't wear makeup once. It's ALL about my mood. If I feel like raking leaves in fake eyelashes and lipgloss, by God, I'm going to do it.
Now the practicality comes out, you don't wear eyelashes and lip gloss while raking because you have no one immediately around to impress or you if this is your idea of beauty you fail to impress your husband/boyfriend/family (assuming they mean more to you than a stranger) but doll-up for work and trips to the public places.

Quote:
You and your ideas...I want to be more appreciative that you're just asking for knowledge sake, but your attitude isn't very nice.
How do you know what my attitude is? I've hidden nothing and been as sincere as I can. This isn't a personal attack, its a psychological discussion.

You have mangled my thoughts and ideas on this topic badly. I never said she you shouldn't look pretty, I actually adore natural beauty and I don't my girl to put make-up on to find her pretty. She the most beautiful in her natural state

Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,013,787 times
OMG, I must've wrote out a dozen responses and it's tiring. I'm totally not the type to dress to impress which also applies to my makeup and such. I enjoy it when I do it. I do put some effort when I go to work because I don't want my bosses to start thinking negatively about me. I've seen it too many times to discount the affect of being properly presentable.

When I dress up for my husband, it's not really for him per se, but rather, I want to show him what a catch he has...make him proud to be with me and make him feel good as well as myself. Just because I'm married shouldn't mean I want him to stop thinking I'm sexy and if once in a while, I put in this effort for him, he'll appreciate it.

BUT, for everyday, normal, I simply do it cause I like to...on my vacation, I was lazy and didn't feel like it. We had no real plans and it felt nice to have a clean face. I really don't think I mangled your thoughts...I may have mangled my responses to you because the way you write them out is really annoying.

Naturaly beauty is still very subjective. How many times will a guy mention that that chick over there needs to "do something about that face". I've heard it many times over the years...if she goes natural, she may not be "pretty" enough to not be ridiculed. If she puts on makeup, it's only to attract men. If she puts on too much makeup, she's hiding something. Good grief, friend, I think you can't paint such a broad stroke!

Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,644 times
This entire thread is hilarious. I might mention the profile pic....

Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
Quote:
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
I don't wear it anymore, but I think a lot of the makeup and fashion is competition with other women, as much as to attract a mate. Self-esteem plays a role also. Most women will tell you they look better with it than without, there is always something that can be improved.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Since the op is so quick to deny being chauvanistic, although, he may not be best judge of what he is or isn't... Plus, his assumptions are not necessarily valid, because, plenty of women do not go to bed without some makeup. He can't figure out why women don't want to let themselves go after they are married. Many of his assumptions are ridiculous. He reminds me of the type of male who falls for a woman who dresses in provocative outfits, then, after marriage, he can't stand the way she dresses and tries putting a stop to it. His type is common.
Women go to bed with makeup on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty