Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Not to mention the huge amounts of homes on well & septic. You are right...money is the driving point in NP & home prices. NP is relying on the never ending talk of the new mall, SuperWalMart, & Target which can be found in any city anywhere. They were wise though & invested well in schools. At least they are not like the schools in PC. The RE market in SW FL is a real mess along with the job market. Realtors are foaming at the mouth for anyone interested in buying one of the 60,000 homes for sale b/w Sarasota & Naples. Posters can be as overly optimistic or negative; I could care less who moves to SW FL. Different strokes for different folks. There is a reality there & people who have actually lived there now what it is....Just don't expect to move here & all one's problems dissapear into Siesta Key if it is not closed due to bateria levels. That is another reality-the condition of the water on the beaches anymore. Siesta Key was closed a few times this past summer due to unsafe levels of bateria in the water. To have to travel to PC for shopping; well, again, depends on one's personal taste. We found PC to be close to disturbing & even odder than Fort Myers if that is possible.

Not everyone has to have the same opinions & it is not against the law to be negative or positive; that's why it is a forum. I lived in SW FL. Not even close to my style & the retiree population in that area is a whole separate issue. Be what it is. It works for some & not for others.
Yes, we lived in Palm Harbor (Tampa Bay area) for 10 years. We know the area well, and the red tide.... You are correct, different strokes for different folks. The negative posters we refer to are not those with just an opinion of the area, but a point blank negativity that makes them seem like an a**, and not just someone making a point. If you notice, people are still giving "warnings" about the negatives in the area, as we all know EVERY area has it's faults. As I stated, I live in Jacksonville. If I don't have a daily dose of murder, police shootings, disease in the elementary schools, pedofiles standing at busstops, banks getting held up, deadly car accidents on 95 etc. etc. it's just not a normal day. The city here is devoid of culture, loads of litter and trash, crime, drugs, 6th on the national obesity rankings, etc. To me, that sucks worse than a downed housing market (that happens every 5-10 years anyway), some rural areas, and a surpressed economy. Jacksonville is in the same boat, but you can still buy a home here for 180K, so no one speaks of it yet. Just wait. I do sincerely agree to each his own...it is a matter of opinion. The OP will make their own as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Not to mention the huge amounts of homes on well & septic. You are right...money is the driving point in NP & home prices. NP is relying on the never ending talk of the new mall, SuperWalMart, & Target which can be found in any city anywhere. They were wise though & invested well in schools. At least they are not like the schools in PC. The RE market in SW FL is a real mess along with the job market. Realtors are foaming at the mouth for anyone interested in buying one of the 60,000 homes for sale b/w Sarasota & Naples. Posters can be as overly optimistic or negative; I could care less who moves to SW FL. Different strokes for different folks. There is a reality there & people who have actually lived there now what it is....Just don't expect to move here & all one's problems dissapear into Siesta Key if it is not closed due to bateria levels. That is another reality-the condition of the water on the beaches anymore. Siesta Key was closed a few times this past summer due to unsafe levels of bateria in the water. To have to travel to PC for shopping; well, again, depends on one's personal taste. We found PC to be close to disturbing & even odder than Fort Myers if that is possible.

Not everyone has to have the same opinions & it is not against the law to be negative or positive; that's why it is a forum. I lived in SW FL. Not even close to my style & the retiree population in that area is a whole separate issue. Be what it is. It works for some & not for others.

North Port reminds me of Cape Coral; lots of big things about to happen & lots of "talk" but little action b/c of every excuse in the book. It is going to take years for these areas to rebound from the RE mess. North Port is at least b/c two areas (Port Charlotte is not a city in technical terms; it's a municipality) that have random jobs that can support several economic ranges.
Just one thing on the septic and well. Again, with Jax, but it is slated as the fastest growing city in FL, so I think it is a good example. We are flanked on one side by the St. John's River, and on the other by the ocean. Almost every single multi-million dollar home on the river has septic..they had well until about 10 years ago. There is a street, Scott Mill, which is nothing but lovely "suburbarural" homes along the river with 1/2 to 1+ acre lots...don't sell for less than 650K, and they have septic and well. All septic and well means is that the city hadn't laid public utilities yet. It's not a negative. It might take the city 15-20 years to get them all in. It's kind of insulting that people think that means you live in some dump, bayou, slum where you **** in an outhouse. Yes, you have to have water filtration systems etc. BUT, I have public water in Jax, and sewage and I still don't drink my faucet water. The only negative is you'll be assessed by the city when the public utilties do come to your street. It can be pricey, but you've saved on a large water bill for all those years in advance. Again, just my opinion. Septic and well are not the "greatest" things ever, but it's not indicative of something as negative as people say. Move to a farm, a horse ranch, a plantation, etc. Those rich folks all have septic and well.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 AM

76 posts, read 222,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Truly there is not a ton. However, NP is just like Pinellas County was 15 years ago. No one would even think of going further north than Clearwater, now people and business are flooded in Palm Harbor. NP is an area that was a TON of land, so it was cheap to buy and build. Commerical dealers will not open too many places without the population to support them. I believe NP had a lot of zoning issues they had to work out, as the city was getting large too fast, and nothing like that was expected. Thus, I think some commercial projects were on hold. You also have to remember that public utilities only work so fast, and they are needed to support shopping centers. Homes can run on septic and well water, but malls can not. There are just a lot of logistics there that have to catch up. However, things backed off when the housing bubble burst.
There are plans for a mall at Toledo Blade, there are 2 Publix stores, a Winn Dixie, a Target, a WalMart, 3 gas stations, 2 veterinarians, 4 restaurants (mainly small sandwhich, wing, burger joints), a Physical Therapy office, Nail salons, Hallmark store, tanning place, several banks etc. Basically what they have there now is necessary stores for survival. If you want broad range shopping you have to drive 20 minutes to Venice or 10 minutes to PC. So, it's really not bad. Some of my family still lives in Ohio, and they live in Chesterland. They have to drive 20 minutes to the mall, 20 minutes to the highway etc. I live in Jax, and I'm 15 minutes to the mall. I have Barnes and Noble, TJMaxx, Steinmart, banks, gas stations, Target, Publix etc. close, but cool shopping is 15-20 or more minutes away...and I'm 40 minutes to the beach. City planning just has to catch up, and it will once the real estate cycle is back on the mend. The businesses will always come to a place that close in proximity to the beach....especially when it's cheap. They just have to know that their business will be sustained by the population. Right now, everyone is just holding their breath to see how fast it will happen.
You are right though...still rural. But not Ocala rural, or Palatka rural, or Gainseville rural.
True it not ocala or palatka but trust me OP it's rural enough. Lets analyze what LEWLEW said there is 2 PUBLIX (supermarket), "A"Winn-Dixie (supermarket)"A" Target, "A" Walmart, "3"Gas Stations(that's scary)and let's keep it short and say "4" Restaurants....well my friend take out a Map and find NP you will find a pretty large piece of land soooo...compare the amount of land to local store shops etc.= Rural. think about it NO mall No Barnes & Noble to kick back in. Now of course you have to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. Were you are and NP Florida, I think Florida might win by a land slide because once you are here and decide it's too slow for you or what ever. You can always move to another city and TA-DA you are still in PARADISE.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Truly there is not a ton. However, NP is just like Pinellas County was 15 years ago. No one would even think of going further north than Clearwater, now people and business are flooded in Palm Harbor. NP is an area that was a TON of land, so it was cheap to buy and build. Commerical dealers will not open too many places without the population to support them. I believe NP had a lot of zoning issues they had to work out, as the city was getting large too fast, and nothing like that was expected. Thus, I think some commercial projects were on hold. You also have to remember that public utilities only work so fast, and they are needed to support shopping centers. Homes can run on septic and well water, but malls can not. There are just a lot of logistics there that have to catch up. However, things backed off when the housing bubble burst.
There are plans for a mall at Toledo Blade, there are 2 Publix stores, a Winn Dixie, a Target, a WalMart, 3 gas stations, 2 veterinarians, 4 restaurants (mainly small sandwhich, wing, burger joints), a Physical Therapy office, Nail salons, Hallmark store, tanning place, several banks etc. Basically what they have there now is necessary stores for survival. If you want broad range shopping you have to drive 20 minutes to Venice or 10 minutes to PC. So, it's really not bad. Some of my family still lives in Ohio, and they live in Chesterland. They have to drive 20 minutes to the mall, 20 minutes to the highway etc. I live in Jax, and I'm 15 minutes to the mall. I have Barnes and Noble, TJMaxx, Steinmart, banks, gas stations, Target, Publix etc. close, but cool shopping is 15-20 or more minutes away...and I'm 40 minutes to the beach. City planning just has to catch up, and it will once the real estate cycle is back on the mend. The businesses will always come to a place that close in proximity to the beach....especially when it's cheap. They just have to know that their business will be sustained by the population. Right now, everyone is just holding their breath to see how fast it will happen.
You are right though...still rural. But not Ocala rural, or Palatka rural, or Gainseville rural.
FYI NP is still an area with a Ton of Land. I'm just saying..."you're still my HERO though"!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
True it not ocala or palatka but trust me OP it's rural enough. Lets analyze what LEWLEW said there is 2 PUBLIX (supermarket), "A"Winn-Dixie (supermarket)"A" Target, "A" Walmart, "3"Gas Stations(that's scary)and let's keep it short and say "4" Restaurants....well my friend take out a Map and find NP you will find a pretty large piece of land soooo...compare the amount of land to local store shops etc.= Rural. think about it NO mall No Barnes & Noble to kick back in. Now of course you have to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. Were you are and NP Florida, I think Florida might win by a land slide because once you are here and decide it's too slow for you or what ever. You can always move to another city and TA-DA you are still in PARADISE.
Agreed. However, the positive spin on that is NP is not far from Venice, Englewood, Manasota Key, Sarasota, Port Charlotte, etc. Ocala...Gainesville..Palatka are no where NEAR the ocean or anything for that matter. Gainseville has the university, but that is all. NP is closer in proximity to the ocean, and to other beach towns. With that going for it, it will always have a draw eventually. It just didn't reach the full potential before the downfall. It will come back...check it out in 5+ years. Those buyers who got in on very good deals will be laughing all the way to the bank. It is inevitable in any town within 20 miles of the ocean. I'm truly not trying to defend NP...I see some issues. However, you aren't going to get a gorgeous home with a pool, 20 minutes from sandy beaches ANYWHERE in this state for the prices there. So, there is nowhere to go but up eventually.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 AM

360 posts, read 1,909,283 times
Quote:
Hey I just noticed something! what happened to all the Neg Posters! I think LEWLEW scared them off. LOL
lol go LewLew!!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Agreed. However, the positive spin on that is NP is not far from Venice, Englewood, Manasota Key, Sarasota, Port Charlotte, etc. Ocala...Gainesville..Palatka are no where NEAR the ocean or anything for that matter. Gainseville has the university, but that is all. NP is closer in proximity to the ocean, and to other beach towns. With that going for it, it will always have a draw eventually. It just didn't reach the full potential before the downfall. It will come back...check it out in 5+ years. Those buyers who got in on very good deals will be laughing all the way to the bank. It is inevitable in any town within 20 miles of the ocean. I'm truly not trying to defend NP...I see some issues. However, you aren't going to get a gorgeous home with a pool, 20 minutes from sandy beaches ANYWHERE in this state for the prices there. So, there is nowhere to go but up eventually.
AGREED AGREED AGREED, but because of the market right now he can purchase a home in Naples (much nicer than NP)for the price of aome of the homes in NP. Before, this was not even close to being an option.... catch my drift

Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 AM

360 posts, read 1,909,283 times
Quote:
But still close to everything! That's just it...you are not close to anything. Can someone please give some insight as to how many stores, supermarkets etc are actually in NP last time I checked there were not many at all. But I could be wrong. I know they have a walmart. Again I 'm not bashing NP just trying to give you a realistic picture.
By everything, I mean places to shop like Walmart (where else can one get a tire change while grabbing some milk?) and also being close to beaches, but living inland just enough... so this is what I meant by "everything"

Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
AGREED AGREED AGREED, but because of the market right now he can purchase a home in Naples (much nicer than NP)for the price of aome of the homes in NP. Before, this was not even close to being an option.... catch my drift
Completely. However aren't the homes in Naples smaller? NP has homes 2200 sq. feet under air for low 200's and even 100's. I thought Naples was flooded with the 1600 and 1700 sq. foot homes? I am looking at a job on Cativa, so Naples could potentially be an option for us, but I wasn't aware the prices had dropped so much. I have friends in Estero, but their home is a little box. :-) Do you live in Naples?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Just one thing on the septic and well. Again, with Jax, but it is slated as the fastest growing city in FL, so I think it is a good example. We are flanked on one side by the St. John's River, and on the other by the ocean. Almost every single multi-million dollar home on the river has septic..they had well until about 10 years ago. There is a street, Scott Mill, which is nothing but lovely "suburbarural" homes along the river with 1/2 to 1+ acre lots...don't sell for less than 650K, and they have septic and well. All septic and well means is that the city hadn't laid public utilities yet. It's not a negative. It might take the city 15-20 years to get them all in. It's kind of insulting that people think that means you live in some dump, bayou, slum where you **** in an outhouse. Yes, you have to have water filtration systems etc. BUT, I have public water in Jax, and sewage and I still don't drink my faucet water. The only negative is you'll be assessed by the city when the public utilties do come to your street. It can be pricey, but you've saved on a large water bill for all those years in advance. Again, just my opinion. Septic and well are not the "greatest" things ever, but it's not indicative of something as negative as people say. Move to a farm, a horse ranch, a plantation, etc. Those rich folks all have septic and well.
OH, DEAR somebody has got LEWLEW started again!! GO LEWLEW GO LEWLEW... NO i'm not Ghetto I've just always wanted to say that LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida