Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 06:05 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times

Advertisements

Well, dinner tonight is definitely beef stir-fried with broccoli, water chestnuts, green onions and other items TBA, with rice. Possibly also fried dumplings, but that'll depend on whether one or both of our friends wind up joining us for supper. Daughter's friend from college will definitely be over, and if her sig-other doesn't have to work, there'll be four of us at the table. Hope they can both make it; there's always lots of good talk and laughter with those two.

I did find out what's up with the chicken in the fridge. Our daughter's sig-other's daughter (got that sequence?!) has her tenth birthday today, and the three of them are joining us for supper tomorrow night. We had asked what her favorite supper was, and after researching the issue, our daughter called spouse yesterday with the menu request: fried chicken, fried potatoes and corn. Hence, the bag of cut-up chicken pieces soaking in buttermilk and spices in the fridge. Naturally I'll be making a birthday cake tonight, too.

It is a bitterly frigid morning in south-central Wisconsin today: 20 below right now, with wind-chills in the minus-30's, and today's high temp is forecast to be 6 below zero. All of the area school districts have closed down (probably as much to save on heating costs as anything else), so kids are getting another day off. I suspect that the birthday girl is frustrated about that, as I know she and my daughter were going to make up a batch of cupcakes last night for her to take in to her class as a birthday treat, but it really is safer that way.

For all of you shivering in the country's midsection this morning, bundle up well and be safe today!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Congrats HG-extremely well deserved and earned. Thx John!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 AM

Hooray for HighlandsGal!! You got that star at last, and a well-deserved one it is! You always add a lot to these conversations, and I do so look forward to hearing from you - way to go!!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:09 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Congrats HG-extremely well deserved and earned. Thx John!
Np.. I didnt think I could rep, her because I been giving so many out.. But it made its way thur..

Old 01-15-2009, 06:13 AM

Thanks for that last push, John! Now here's a party for HG over in Community: http://www.city-data.com/forum/commu...ml#post7004642

Stop on over and toast our friend!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Horray Highlands---so well deserved. So many great posts and ideas you share here with us! You go girl!!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Congratulations HighlandsGal !

I can't be bothered cooking today so I suspect I will grab some ready meal out of the freezer ( our local supermarket does some very nice ones), possibly Jambalaya or Beef Strogonoff.

I don't know about the US but I have to admit I find some ready meals really quite nice nowadays especially from places like Marks and Spencer and Waitrose my local "posh" supermarkets. They have an excellent deli too.

I also like the fact that they label the fat, calories, salt, cholesterol, etc.. content very clearly as well not using E numbers, and additives.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
Did I miss what Elston did to the pork chops?? I am sure it is great so point me to whre it is posted. Thanks

Well Good Morning all I have to say that Nomad I was thinking of you and laughing as I was making my meatloaf yesterday. Usually I add shredded cheeses whether it is Mexican or sharp cheddar to the hamburg but I didn't have any and it is too cold to go to the store so I used some Velveeta and it was probably the best meatloaf I have made I added worcestershire a little cajun spice garlic powder, bread crumbs, an egg and an onion with a little BBQ sauce on the top.
This morning I think I will throw on a pot of beef veggie soup just to warm the bones.

Enjoy your day and bundle up.....

Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Good morning all. I will do the rib eyes tonight. Don't want to freeze them so I will do a little gambling I guess. Not sure about veggies other than I will bake potatoes in the toaster oven..Morning tea is done and now I'm going back to bed to finish what I started...Sleep is best for me this time of day.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:45 AM

616 posts, read 1,162,623 times
Smile Look at all the shining stars!

Congrats Nomad, highlandsgirl, etc.

Wowwy, there are some great recipes floating around! Like the pork chops from a week or two ago, chicken breasts were on sale so I'm in chicken mode. I would appreciate any recipes you all have to offer!

I saw one from yesterday that has possibilities if I have all the ingredients on hand. It was truly a screen licker! LOL!!

P.S. Thanks Elston!!!! Have a great day as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink