Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:10 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
...We just crossed that line of how well we need to know you.
If animals were meant to be cooked before consumption humans would breathe fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 AM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Further enlightenment as to the arrogance of chefs in general. Sad! Some people don't spell very well either you just scramble the letters around and all is acceptable. LOL! Back on Topic..I'll have my steak cooked the way I like or the "CHEF" will be eating it.
I don't understand why you seem to find this practice so unsettling.
You are getting exactly what you ordered-a very well-done piece of what was once a quality cut of meat, albeit not of the choicest part of the loin or rib. We do not serve products that are unsafe to consume, that is another matter entirely. As I said, I've never had a well-done piece of meat returned for any reason other than being perceived to be "under-cooked." People who order their steaks/roasts medium-well or beyond get what they ask for-a cut of meat that is now mostly devoid of texture (other than tough), flavor (other than that added by steak sauce, ketchup, etc.), and juiciness (the less red, the less juice).
As chefs we know that these considerations are that patron's choice, and we serve them accordingly.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
You are getting exactly what you ordered-a very well-done piece of what was once a quality cut of meat, albeit not of the choicest part of the loin or rib. We do not serve products that are unsafe to consume, that is another matter entirely. As I said, I've never had a well-done piece of meat returned for any reason other than being perceived to be "under-cooked." People who order their steaks/roasts medium-well or beyond get what they ask for-a cut of meat that is now mostly devoid of texture (other than tough), flavor (other than that added by steak sauce, ketchup, etc.), and juiciness (the less red, the less juice).
As chefs we know that these considerations are that patron's choice, and we serve them accordingly.
My understanding wasn't that chefs try to "stick it" to well-done customers, but rather, once you cook meat past a certain point, it's hard to tell one way from the other.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Well, I'd say you're doing the restaurant industry great harm by exposing this if true. Reading the "tipping" threads is a real eye opener for those of us who go out to eat often. As patrons I think we all expect to be served the same quality/cut of meat regardless of what degree of doneness we wish it cooked. Not having some grisly, nasty, veiny, trimmings substituted as you described. I myself order steaks differently all the time. Why? Because it's rare when a chef cooks one properly as requested. Myself and a large party of other ate at Longhorn Steak House a few days ago. All steaks went back regardless of doneness requested. It looked like the St Valentine's Day massacre. They were returned more than once. Longhorn likely lost our business for a long time to come over that.

I've had excellent tender steaks cooked well and tough as a boot steaks cooked rare or med rare. The cut and it's aging, preparation etc and the chef's abilities are the difference. I believe it's possibly an excuse for the inability to judge doneness that rarer steaks are promoted. Like I said we patrons are the boss not you chef's. You're supposed to have some cooking talents ...use them. Restaurants shouldn't have grisly garbage around unless they do business with crap butchers or suppliers. Maybe it's what you feed the poor little children. I for one would know the difference. I'm simply tired of hearing all these stories of what restaurant employees do behind the scenes.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:44 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
I believe B. K. might have been referring to a real restaurant, not Longhorn's.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Excellent point!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM

138 posts, read 205,929 times
Medium for me please!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Excellent point!
Such as?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
Well done, thank you

Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM

589 posts, read 696,295 times
Medium.

Rare is too bloody and will make me sick looking at all the blood dripping out of it.

Well-done is too tough and it cooks the flavor out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink