Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 05:53 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,999,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i said up north portland is known as north boston
Figured you'd say that

Denny's in Bangor.

I'm kinda surprised lobster grits hasn't caught on up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 06:01 AM

50,423 posts, read 64,172,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Lutefisk. It's lye-soaked fish with a jelly-like consistency. I'm familiar with it, having gone to a Scandinavian school, but know nobody who actually eats it. But it is a traditional Christmas feast thing.
LOL, we were Swedish, but were spared the joy of lutefisk.

In Ohio, I was first introduced to the holiday classic, Hash brown cheese casserole. We can't have ham without it.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:05 AM

50,423 posts, read 64,172,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Only regional food I can't hack is grits.

Reminds me of wallpaper paste.
Wow, I've really learned to love grits with butter, salt and pepper. I only really get it when I eat breakfast out, since its always on the side. I prefer it to the ubiquitous soggy hash brown potatoes.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,264,726 times
There are some weird regional foods here in Finland. In one area there is something called Kalakukko which is basically fish baked inside a rye bread loaf. The same area also has blood dumpling soup which I do not ever want to try! And the city I used to live in has its black sauage (blood sausage) served with lingonberry jam. Less disgusting is the squeaky cheese/bread cheese from up north, served with cloudberry jam, or in a cup with coffee on which sounds very weird to me.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:45 AM

24,731 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Girls Raised In The South = grits:>)

Italians call it polenta. Southerners call it grits. A basic starch you can modify from baby food consistency to fried/baked.

My mother's face when she was asked if she would care for Georgia ice cream at a cat fish fry - priceless!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,182,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
There are some weird regional foods here in Finland. In one area there is something called Kalakukko which is basically fish baked inside a rye bread loaf. The same area also has blood dumpling soup which I do not ever want to try! And the city I used to live in has its black sauage (blood sausage) served with lingonberry jam. Less disgusting is the squeaky cheese/bread cheese from up north, served with cloudberry jam, or in a cup with coffee on which sounds very weird to me.
I remember black/blood sausage being served frequently for breakfast when I was in boarding school in the UK. Also some sort of white pudding-y sausage with raisins in it? I cannot recall the correct name for that.

I liked both, though. Of course I was a kid and at that time would eat anything that didn't try to eat me first.

Serving coffee with butter is becoming A Thing in some areas.

Latest coffee trend is to put butter in your coffee | Fox News

Old 03-01-2014, 07:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,672,998 times
Coffee with butter (or coconut oil) is a big trend with the paleo crowd (as well as the raving-about-the-"toxins"-in-everything crowd that the Bulletproof Coffee guy is part of) for the moment. I'll stick with full fat cream.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,964,724 times
When I lived on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi, a popular food was a store-bought honeybun, heated slightly and topped with a slice of American cheese. Never saw the appeal, but the locals seemed to love them.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:44 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,264,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I remember black/blood sausage being served frequently for breakfast when I was in boarding school in the UK. Also some sort of white pudding-y sausage with raisins in it? I cannot recall the correct name for that.

I liked both, though. Of course I was a kid and at that time would eat anything that didn't try to eat me first.

Serving coffee with butter is becoming A Thing in some areas.

Latest coffee trend is to put butter in your coffee | Fox News
Black pudding, occasionally you get it in a breakfast fry-up. I tried it once I think, in Scotland. Not sure what the white one with raisins is though.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,408,398 times
99% of people who say "Haggis is gross!!!" can't even tell you what haggis is. I'm brave, though, I like chip shop haggis and no one actually knows what that is.

Black pudding is good, but I like it slathered in the bean sauce and some runny egg yolk.

As far as grits, if you can eat polenta, corn bread, tamales or anything made from cornmeal at all, grits are nothing to worry about. I don't understand why people are grossed out by the concept of grits unless they ave an aversion to corn.

As far as lutefisk, that is one of those starvation era foods that (some) people serve once a year so that when the next famine comes, the current generation will know about it so they can survive as their ancestors did.

It is not lye-soaked fish per se, It is very hard dried-preserved cod fillet that is able to be stored for long periods of time (hence its utility in times of food scarcity). Then it is briefly soaked in lye to soften it after which the lye is soaked away in water. Then the fish can be cooked. Although it takes on an... unusual texture, it tastes quite good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink