Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,388,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
But my housemate is from Ohio. I am constantly being confronted with casseroles involving things like cans of soup and mayonaise and tuna. Is this an Ohio thing?

Yes, it's definitely an Ohio thing.

A broader regional Midwestern thing? The tater tot casserole had its charms, I will give you that, but the tuna stuffed shells covered in a mayonnaise-based sauce TOTALLY grossed me out.

This native Buckeye agrees with you completely!
I recall my Dad eating Brawnschweiger (liverwurst) with odoriferous cheese called Limburger and onion on Rye bread. His much-beloved German grandmother often served it for lunch when he was young. I found it off-putting, but he seemed to enjoy it immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,388,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Black pudding, occasionally you get it in a breakfast fry-up. I tried it once I think, in Scotland. Not sure what the white one with raisins is though.
Because he said it was white, I thought maybe Spotted Dog, but that's a type of Irish soda bread. The pudding texture makes me think it was Spotted Dick.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,257,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Because he said it was white, I thought maybe Spotted Dog, but that's a type of Irish soda bread. The pudding texture makes me think it was Spotted Dick.
Ah yeah, could be spotted dick.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:56 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,920,377 times
My parents picked up chili-cheese-slaw dogs when they lived in SC and we've been eating them ever since.

On the Oregon coast, Slumgullion is a clam chowder with bay shrimp and gops of cheese. Mmmmm

Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Whichever presidential candidate promises to institute a Federal law that makes it an offense to call that imitation bolognese sauce that Skyline calls "chili" will get my vote.
And whichever one is the first to point out the error in this sentence will get mine.

Cincinnati chili is not an "imitation Bolognese sauce"; it's a variation on a traditional Greek stew. Anyone who knows anything about Cincinnati chili knows that.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,994,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And whichever one is the first to point out the error in this sentence will get mine.

Cincinnati chili is not an "imitation Bolognese sauce"; it's a variation on a traditional Greek stew. Anyone who knows anything about Cincinnati chili knows that.
All one needs to know is that it's not chili

Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
All one needs to know is that it's not chili
Nobody gives a leap if you like it or not. But if you're going to talk about it, get your facts straight first.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
A southerner made grits for me one time and put butter on them--it was the same thing that we used to eat for breakfast sometimes in New England. Just cornmeal. But we would put butter and milk on it and eat it in a bowl like cereal. It could be a Vermont tradition--family came from there.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:19 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
Breakfasts--in the cold north you eat hot and hearty breakfasts, sometimes bacon and eggs, sometimes pancakes and waffles with real maple syrup.

For cereals, besides cornmeal with butter and milk, and oatmeal with brown sugar, we would have shredded wheat served HOT. You pour hot water over the shredded wheat in a strainer to soften and warm it and then you add warm milk, butter, and sugar. OMG-good!

Old 03-01-2014, 12:59 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Ok, so I'm from Jersey. The end all and be all of weird foods from Jersey has got to be pork roll. Who knows what's in it? Moreover who actually WANTS to know what's in it. But yeah, I think it tastes pretty great. It's like the bastard cousin of bologna or something, but it has to be cooked, and if you grill it... Yum.

A close friend who is a middle-aged Jewish woman from Long Island (so had limited experience with pork, let alone pork roll) loves to tell the story of days into her marriage to her non-Jewish husband she decided to make him a sandwich. Because pork roll strongly resembled bologna, she simply slapped it on some sliced bread raw with a little mayo and served it to him, only to be met with absolute horror. Because really, the thought of eating raw pork roll is not to be contemplated.

And I don't know if it's regional, but my cousin's husband makes something that is perfectly horrendous that he calls "Chili Mac" - kraft mac n cheese and Hormel chili mixed together. When you're really drunk (emphasis on the "really" part), it actually seems pretty awesome.

But my housemate is from Ohio. I am constantly being confronted with casseroles involving things like cans of soup and mayonaise and tuna. Is this an Ohio thing? A broader regional Midwestern thing? The tater tot casserole had its charms, I will give you that, but the tuna stuffed shells covered in a mayonnaise-based sauce TOTALLY grossed me out.

And this weekend she's bent on making something that she refers to as "slum gulley." Should I be alarmed?

In any case, what are the regional dishes that have freaked you out when you encountered them and how did you encounter them?

Chili Mac is pretty common around here, but a totally different animal...ewww that he uses boxed mac n cheese and Hormel chili. You use ground beef, chili powder, canned tomatoes, and some different spices to make a sauce or even just chili and cook your pasta separately(elbows are good or spirals even). Top with grated cheese like pepper jack or maybe queso fresco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink