Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
a) there is a dirty south
b) that's your opinion, and not mine. I don't find Kentucky, Virginia southern. If you wanna consider them southern be my guest, but you won't change my opinion.

Texas and Florida have southern sections but non-southern sections as well. They are too big or diverse to be put neatly in one label.

North Carolina and Arkansas are transition states as far as I'm concerned.

Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has them, but your opinion on Virginia and Kentucky is not correct. Sorry. Virginia is , was, and will always be the South whether you or anyone else likes it or not.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
CORRECTION

a) There isn't a dirty south. However we do have whats referred to as Deep south. I can see how it must be confusing for you because both Dirty and Deep start with a "D" but I can assure you the "dirty" that you are referring to should be Deep....I'll await your reply on that one.

b) Virginia fought in the civil war for the south, the confederate white house is in Richmond, the majority of virginians speak with a southern accent, the first ever sweet tea recipe was published in housekeeping in old virginia, the first recorded country song was in bristol, va, two of the biggest civil war (southern) military heroes...robert e lee and stonewall jackson are virginians, we have TONS of kudzu, nascar got its start between nc/va because moonshine runners, in the "is your state southern poll" by UNC over 80% of virginians regarded themselves as living in the south, UNC and UVA's annual football game is regarded as "The South's Oldest Rivalty." I mean.....good god dude..what more do you want?

.......and ky is southern too......The home of bourbon...midwester? C'mon.

Exactly.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:59 PM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Here are a couple of pics of Cumberland, Maryland. So, does this look southern, northern, mid-western or what?
I was just saying that W.MD was southern so $mk8795 would possibly post a useful response instead of repeating the same 'fact'. It didn't work.

Cumberland looks middle appalachian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
However, all the threads i've come across regarding southernness or deleware/maryland feature most people stating they are from the mid-atlantic, not the south.
It should be noted that Marylanders usually have a different definition of the Mid-Atlantic than that usually used on this forum.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has them, but your opinion on Virginia and Kentucky is not correct. Sorry. Virginia is , was, and will always be the South whether you or anyone else likes it or not.
lol every girl can dream she's a princess, keep it up scotty

Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM

I wish someone could explain to me why some people want to classify Southern states as not being southern. I truly cannot follow this way of thinking. Anyone with any education at all knows the different regions of this country and what states make up that region. BUT you have idiots who come on this forum and claim that states are not Southern when we know damn good and well that they are.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
You do know that Maryland is below DC............
Only some of it is. Just curious, but why are you so hung up on whether or not Maryland is considered a Southern state by others? Like I said before, if you personally feel that you are Southern, then you are!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:16 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I wish someone could explain to me why some people want to classify Southern states as not being southern. I truly cannot follow this way of thinking. Anyone with any education at all knows the different regions of this country and what states make up that region. BUT you have idiots who come on this forum and claim that states are not Southern when we know damn good and well that they are.
While it is true that culture doesn't follow state lines, I agree with you.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:17 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Only some of it is. Just curious, but why are you so hung up on whether or not Maryland is considered a Southern state by others? Like I said before, if you personally feel that you are Southern, then you are!
So if a black man feels he's white then he is in America

Self-identification is important, but so is how other people view you. These labels (is this southern or not) only have force by the collective opinion of people who are willing to categorize them.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Okay, I made maps to clarify how when Marylander's say they're Mid-Atlantic, they may not mean what you think they mean:

Red is always included.
Purple is sometimes included.
Green is almost never included.
Light green highlights the perceived center of the Mid-Atlantic.

Mid Atlantic according to most people on City-Data

Mid-Atlantic according to most native Marylanders

Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
People in Maryland say NC is mid atlantic as well? I can only assume that is purely a geographic reference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.