Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 06:06 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
There are a couple different accents in that feature, but the only speakers that are definitely identified as Kansas City and northeast Kansas natives have “neutral” accents.
Not really. I would say it is about an even split of somewhat neutral and southern accents from all the locals they interviewed in the feature in 1982. Since the 1980s, accents in KC metro have changed somewhat with more "western" accents replacing some southern accents in younger people under age 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 02:18 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not really. I would say it is about an even split of somewhat neutral and southern accents
You’re either bad at linguistics or math.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:56 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
I consider Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota to be the Midwest (maybe Iowa). To me, as a New Yorker, the dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, etc have always been considered plains states, not the Midwest. The Midwest has always been anchored around Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and St. Louis. Kentucky has always been considered the south/Appalachia, same with West Virginia. Pennsylvania is always considered the northeast. The kid-Atlantic is New York, Nj, pa, de and md and D.C for that matter. Iowa was always a border state and The St. Louis area has always felt midwestern to me versus the Ozarks which are certainly southern. Also Kansas City is not midwestern. It is plains/frontier west almost. It is interesting how different people have different perspectives on this. The heart of the Midwest has always been Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois to me. Even Minnesota is debatable. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the up of Michigan have always been called Midwest or Great Lakes. This is all coming from a New Yorker so feel free to disagree.
Minnesota has been called "the Northwest" by many as late as the 1960s. (Yes, they know about Seattle and Portland. It's just a holdover from the days before the Dakotas achieved statehood in the late 19th century). To this day, many old businesses in the Twin Cities still carry the Northwest moniker.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Minnesota has been called "the Northwest" by many as late as the 1960s. (Yes, they know about Seattle and Portland. It's just a holdover from the days before the Dakotas achieved statehood in the late 19th century). To this day, many old businesses in the Twin Cities still carry the Northwest moniker.
I still remember Northwest Orient Airlines, based in Minneapolis.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:19 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Midwest: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin. Basically the old Rust Belt. It has a strong agricultural bent but the economic lifeblood was industry given advantages conferred by the Great Lakes.

Plains: Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota (transitional), Missouri (transitional), Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota. I consider these farming states with wide expanses and little history of industry outside of a few select cities (Duluth, Minneapolis, Saint Louis).

Midwest + Plains = Heartland.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:49 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Midwest: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin. Basically the old Rust Belt. It has a strong agricultural bent but the economic lifeblood was industry given advantages conferred by the Great Lakes.

Plains: Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota (transitional), Missouri (transitional), Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota. I consider these farming states with wide expanses and little history of industry outside of a few select cities (Duluth, Minneapolis, Saint Louis).

Midwest + Plains = Heartland.
Kansas City's historical rep may be that of a cowtown, but it too had significant industry: it was home to Missouri's only steel mill and the site of the first branch assembly plant built by a Detroit automaker; in the 1960s, it was second only to Detroit in motor vehicle (car and truck) production and third behind Detroit and St. Louis in car production.

Wichita has historically been the center of small-aircraft production in the country.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:45 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Everything the census says.

Not Midwest: KY, WV

Simple enough

Old 01-17-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Wisconsin
Illinois
Michigan
Indiana
Ohio
Kentucky
Lol @ this

Old 01-17-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
I don't think either WV or Kentucky is midwestern, ANY MORE. But the fact is that the original usage of the term "Middle West" refers to the middle (on a North-South axis) of what was then "the West":

West Virginia
Kentucky
Tennessee
Missouri
Kansas territory (which extended to Denver)
Nope. Midwest is what the Northwest territory was.

Kentucky used to be part of Virginia and is literally ONE state away from the Atlantic. LOL @ Kentucky being Midwest. Just stop

Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 AM

Political conservatism is part of the Midwest identity in the rural areas. This isn't New England. Cincinnati and St. Louis may be a bit conservative but so is Indy. Conservatism does not make anything Southern. People need to stop calling conservative Midwest metros as Southern. Southern is a culture. Cincinnati and St. Louis are not culturally Southern so please stop grouping them with the South. If you think conservative = Southern then I guess Betsy DeVos is a Southern girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.