Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd say it's inarguable that most of the corridor is in the Northeast, but people's opinions disagree on whether some or all of the DC metro area is in the South, or if it's some sort of "Mid-Atlantic" region which isn't in either the Northeast or Southeast.

BosWash is by far the most populated portion of the Northeast, but I dunno if that makes it the "core." That's like saying California is the core of the West.

see what you are saying but if aked to name a place in the west, think most would start with CA, same would likely go with the NE with the first thought or reference generally being the large coastal city region of the NE - to me the NE is the coastal cities and inland mountainous areas (some applachian and some not), obvioulsy there are other smaller segment within the states but those two definitions capture a majority of land and population by a long stretch

so on this OH is neither to me, its midwetern

to me DC has a better claim to be part of the NE than does OH, 7 days a week and twice on sunday

I dont get this whole thread but maybe is just me

Old 10-26-2015, 11:06 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most of Pennsylvania is Appalachian.
And ALL of Pennsylvania is in the Northeast. Appalachia is a sub-region.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
And ALL of Pennsylvania is in the Northeast. Appalachia is a sub-region.
Yes, all of PA is in the Northeast, that is a given. However, geographically and topographically a larger percentage of the entirety of PA is Appalachian. However, the plurality of the state population does not reside there. Pittsburgh is the largest metro in the northern part of the region with Atlanta skirting the southern periphery of the southern Appalachians.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:57 PM

539 posts, read 523,449 times
One thing I've learned, living in New York is that people consider Ohio VERY far away.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
see what you are saying but if aked to name a place in the west, think most would start with CA
Maybe not, the image of the West is wide-open sparsely populated places, usually semi-arid. California has those, but it's not its main image. I think many would start with someplace in the desert or mountain west rather than the west coast.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd say it's inarguable that most of the corridor is in the Northeast, but people's opinions disagree on whether some or all of the DC metro area is in the South, or if it's some sort of "Mid-Atlantic" region which isn't in either the Northeast or Southeast.

BosWash is by far the most populated portion of the Northeast, but I dunno if that makes it the "core." That's like saying California is the core of the West.
I'm originally from MD, and DC and Baltimore are Mid-Atlantic (although technically classified as Southern), whereas NYC, Philly, and Boston are clearly Northeastern. The MD/DC posters on here try their hardest to talk their way into the NE. Their argument for being in the northeast is that the state isn't characteristically Southern, but they don't explain how they are similar to the northeast. Being wealthy and democratic isn't enough to be characterized as northeastern. Where are the large white ethnic populations (Italians, Irish)? Where are the Puerto Ricans? Where is the large Catholic population? Where in the NE will you find large tidewater culture like the eastern shore or Southern MD? Where in the NE will you find an equivalent to PG county??

I love my home state of MD, but with lots of family living in the northeast, I realize MD is different than the northeast. It's also not as heavily southern as many of the southern states, which is why mid-Atlantic makes most sense, but since that's not an official designation, let the arguments continue..............

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
One thing I've learned, living in New York is that people consider Ohio VERY far away.
Depends on where you are.

Where I live we think of it as closer than New England is.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
see what you are saying but if aked to name a place in the west, think most would start with CA, same would likely go with the NE with the first thought or reference generally being the large coastal city region of the NE - to me the NE is the coastal cities and inland mountainous areas (some applachian and some not), obvioulsy there are other smaller segment within the states but those two definitions capture a majority of land and population by a long stretch
Northeastern U.S. Population (2014): 56,152,333
Boston, NYC and Philadelphia MSAs (minus New Castle): 30,323,436
Boston, NYC and Philadelphia CSAs (minus New Castle and Cecil): 38,241,926

That's 54% of the total population of the Northeastern U.S. in the three MSAs and 68.1% in the CSAs.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,936 times
Quote:

so on this OH is neither to me, its midwetern

to me DC has a better claim to be part of the NE than does OH, 7 days a week and twice on sunday

I dont get this whole thread but maybe is just me
I don't consider neither Ohio or DC to be Northeast.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:20 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I don't consider neither Ohio or DC to be Northeast.
I consider DC the southern tip of the Northeast and Ohio to be Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.