Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I grew up in the northeast. My mother always tells this story about how when I was only 7 years old I would complain for weeks on end about how much I hated the cold and the snow. And I remember her always telling me to appreciate the seasons (she's one of the weirdos who likes cold weather.)

Now, I'm older, and still can't stand the seasons. The moment I turned 18 I fled south as fast as I could!

I definitely appreciate the colorful leaves during fall which New England has, but only for a very short period of time. Like one day lol. The feeling of cold air hitting my skin is absolutely miserable to me.

Living here in Raleigh is a nice in between. It gets chilly, but not nearly as awful as what I grew up experiencing. I remember looking out the window at the rain when I was little and wondering why my parents moved there lol.
I don't disagree with you but right now its 70 degrees in Boston and the trees are orange, red and yellow.

I love the change of seasons. What I don't like is February and March
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This thread is about seasonal weather, not activities. Believe it or not, people in non-four-seasons climates also pick pumpkins, celebrate Halloween, and visit Grandma at Thanksgiving.
Yes, people around the country trick or treat, join family for Thanksgiving, attend college football games and Christmas shop. But some of them do all of this in shorts.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:13 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Of course, if one's definition of "fall" is "September, October, and November, with everything that happens in them," then fall lasts three months. It lasts three months everywhere. What I question is whether this amazing, soul-inspiring crisp weather and foliage lasts three months. Actually, it sounds like you're even including December in fall, so hmmm.
It does in a lot of places....outside of the south.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:15 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Yes, people around the country trick or treat, join family for Thanksgiving, attend college football games and Christmas shop. But some of them do all of this in shorts.
Will be in the 80s in my hometown of CC well into November. Good for some people, bad for others.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:32 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
First of all, fall lasts until December 21.
By the way, you are correct for astronomical fall, but not for meteorological fall. Meteorological fall is September, October, November.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:04 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
according to the Royal Order of the Twenty-firsters, spring begins December 21st when the days start getting longer

Joe Soucheray: The 21sters ae back – and thinking spring! – Twin Cities

Old 10-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
By the way, you are correct for astronomical fall, but not for meteorological fall. Meteorological fall is September, October, November.
How does that change things? During those months, people in some parts of the country run around in tee shirts and shorts and drink ice tea while those in other parts of the country wear sweaters and wind breakers and sip hot chocolate.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
How does that change things? During those months, people in some parts of the country run around in tee shirts and shorts and drink ice tea while those in other parts of the country wear sweaters and wind breakers and sip hot chocolate.
There are two systems, astronomical and meteorological. Astronomical fall is roughly September 21 to December 21. Meteorological fall is September 1 to November 30. And the reason that's important to understand is so that people do not get confused, conflate the two systems, and claim that fall lasts from right after Labor Day (which can be as early as September 2) until Christmas:

Quote:
Fall is much more than a few weeks. After Labor Day, it’s time to start tailgating again and enjoy the return of cooler weather. Fresh apples and cider come on in October, along with pumpkin patches and haunted houses. The leaves turn in throughout October and after Halloween, the holidays start. It’s time to bundle up and visit family and friends for Thanksgiving. Throughout December, there are holiday parades and parties and with any luck, a white Christmas on December 25. As I began, fall is much more than a few weeks.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
There are two systems, astronomical and meteorological. Astronomical fall is roughly September 21 to December 21. Meteorological fall is September 1 to November 30. And the reason that's important to understand is so that people do not get confused, conflate the two systems, and claim that fall lasts from right after Labor Day (which can be as early as September 2) until Christmas:
No one is confused. And so, I repeat:
Quote:
Pick your favorite autumnal calendar. The above is true for astrological and meteorological autumn, n’est-ce pas?

Old 10-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Pick your favorite autumnal calendar. The above is true for astrological and meteorological autumn, n’est-ce pas?
I prefer meteorological. But that's all beside the point, which was fall foliage. I believe I stated that the glorious fall foliage lasts only a few weeks. I think most people, whatever their location, would agree that it does not last for three months and certainly not from September 1 to Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.