Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 03:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
A temp as low as 83F can only feel oppressive with high humidity.
Eastern half of Texas is known for high humidity during the warm half of the year,
so yeah it can feel unpleasant, not nearly as bad as 90s with humidity.

83F in the western US ...west of the Rockies ....is usually quite pleasant,
very low humidity is the key factor.
I prefer higher rather than lower humidity - my skin and hair feel and look better! Plus, like everything else, it's sort of relative when it comes to comfort. I'm sure I have a higher tolerance level for higher humidity than people who weren't raised in it.

Hey, I'm from New Orleans - northeast Texas feels like a desert compared to THAT humidity - LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Was your fire pit lit?
Nope but we were sitting around it anyway. We have a great patio area because we can use it for just about the entire year, as you know.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:03 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I prefer higher rather than lower humidity - my skin and hair feel and look better! Plus, like everything else, it's sort of relative when it comes to comfort. I'm sure I have a higher tolerance level for higher humidity than people who weren't raised in it.

Hey, I'm from New Orleans - northeast Texas feels like a desert compared to THAT humidity - LOL.
LOL! I remember my reaction when the first coworkers who transferred from NOLA to Houston told me they were happy to be in a more pleasant climate:

Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well if you actually love hot weather its a different story. There's more to living in Florida than hot weather, though. I think the quality of life is really poor in a lot of the state. Honestly, I'd recommend Texas. I love Texas and if I loved it more I would put up with the heat and have stayed there, but I prefer Minnesota.

I just like having 4 seasons. I would not enjoy living in Alaska where its cold for so long. The cold can drag up here some times I'm sure but not the extent people exaggerate. Cold weather that lasts as long as heat does in Florida would suck. I like having a balance. Fall is amazing here, winter being my second favourite. Summer is nice and warm but not too hot. I haven't experienced a full spring yet but it was gorgeous when I visited last April. Plenty of rain, too. I love rain in spring.

Btw I hated whenever it got to the 90s in October in Texas, as do most Texans. Trust us, we probably complain more about unseasonal heat then y'all do about unseasonable cold lol. It actually has snowed in Texas in April as well, interestingly enough. Easter 2007 was spent in the snow in much of the state.
I love those 90 degree days in October in Texas. Nothing like a dip in the pool or lake when the rest of the country is freezing.

Actually I remember swimming in Lake Travis one November day. It was around 87 I think. Love it!

Old 01-08-2018, 03:11 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I love those 90 degree days in October in Texas. Nothing like a dip in the pool or lake when the rest of the country is freezing.

Actually I remember swimming in Lake Travis one November day. It was around 87 I think. Love it!

October is a "freezing" month to you? What do you consider freezing, 65?

You can take a dip in the pool in Texas typically from mid-late May til mid-late September. Why do you need an extra day in October? lol. Naah. I like cool crisp autumn air in October, with golden maple leaves falling around me and a pie cooling on the window sill.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
October is a "freezing" month to you? What do you consider freezing, 65?

You can take a dip in the pool in Texas typically from mid-late May til mid-late September. Why do you need an extra day in October? lol. Naah. I like cool crisp autumn air in October, with golden maple leaves falling around me and a pie cooling on the window sill.
Well we each have our own preferences. I'll take the crisp weather in January and warm weather in October.

Fall leaves are overrated. You have tons and tons of raking followed by tons and tons of raking, and then all the deciduous trees are bare like telephone poles for the rest of the winter. I much prefer evergreen trees.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:17 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

I don't. When it's 90 there, it's usually in the 60s or 70s elsewhere. My favorite temps.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I don't. When it's 90 there, it's usually in the 60s or 70s elsewhere. My favorite temps.
It was 67 in Austin today while much of the country is in a deep freeze. We get nice weather too.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:47 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
November-march in Austin is usually in the 60s and 70s

Old 01-08-2018, 06:49 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah, I don't understand the appeal of change of seasons.....I prefer mild year round.
fair enough.

For me there is just something special about it.
White Christmas, warm homes in the winter, fresh and crisp air.
Hearing more birds again as spring is ushered in, seeing the color return to your surroundings.
Then heading into a bright summer, streets full of life, women (and men I suppose) showing off the work from the gym , people about way into the evening enjoying the smooth breeze of a summer night and go through a picturesque fall before you do it all over again!

Just to visualize why I love them.
I'm sure there are even better videos out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc1TPcSGjSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqEGCQq1m9s

or in the city

Philly as an example.

Winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nAfPQPUaAw
and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jF5nAQYBg

Spring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx535ku0m7Q

Fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ObdkAKtsg

BTW my props to the guy who made those videos. I'm not even a huge fan of Philadelphia but through his lens and eyes he makes it seem quite the place.

In any case of course not all seasonal changes are as beautiful or at all times as serene, that cyclone that was cutting through east coast for example is not a seasonal change I would crave.
But overall the examples above are why IMHO they are anything but overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.