Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 12:28 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times

Advertisements

Not everyone loves warm weather, actually I loathe the summer in Nashville. I actually like the winter here better. I like 40s 50s and 60s and cool. SF is a fav climate but it is too expensive to live in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 02:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
High 80s feel great to me, especially in August. Whatchoo complainin' bout, Willis?
High 80s is lovely for August... but horrendous for October. Even high 70s is too warm for most of October. October should be nice and chilly How else are you gonna get those maples to turn red and orange by Halloween? And that would make my jack-o-lantern rot! :O

Old 02-05-2018, 05:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
High 80s is lovely for August... but horrendous for October. Even high 70s is too warm for most of October. October should be nice and chilly How else are you gonna get those maples to turn red and orange by Halloween? And that would make my jack-o-lantern rot! :O
To each his own. My only demand of October weather (which is generally great to me in most places, including but not limited to Texas) is that I don't sweat in my Halloween costume! Oh, and I also don't want it to be so cold that I have to wear a coat over my costume either. So I'm generally happy here.

I love the big, endless deep blue skies of October and that hint of fall in the air.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
High 80s feel great to me, especially in August. Whatchoo complainin' bout, Willis?
August? yes. October, no.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Sure! I don't even feel uncomfortable till it gets over 95 degrees though, so excuse me while I revel in Texas weather.

Today it's 52 and GORGEOUS outside!
It's gonna get up to 60 here in a few days.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Oh, very likely - I love northeast Texas weather. It's not for everyone, but it's right up my alley. I'm pretty sure I keep folks posted on various weather trends where I live pretty regularly.

Guess it really ticks some people off for others to be so happy about where they live. I've never understood that because I like to see other people happy, but hey, that's just me.

It's 52 with more abundant sunshine and all my bedding is airing out on the patio - it's going to smell and feel great to climb into bed tonight!
Look, I think every poster here will agree with me when I say that you come off as a very nice and sincere person. That being said, quit playing the victim card. Nobody is ticked off about you being happy. That's an unusual thought.

Your history is documented. You threw a major tantrum in another thread when it was mentioned that Texas is too hot for some.

The tenor of your posts here is "hey Texas gets cold weather, see it's snowing! But, it goes away and it'll be nice soon." Very binary, the best of both worlds. However, you get super defensive in the summer. Must be the heat. Texas is a huge state, so it has a ton of different climates. You're in northeast Texas, your weather is probably more similar to Kansas/Oklahoma than it is Brownsville.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Look, I think every poster here will agree with me when I say that you come off as a very nice and sincere person. That being said, quit playing the victim card. Nobody is ticked off about you being happy. That's an unusual thought.

Your history is documented. You threw a major tantrum in another thread when it was mentioned that Texas is too hot for some.

The tenor of your posts here is "hey Texas gets cold weather, see it's snowing! But, it goes away and it'll be nice soon." Very binary, the best of both worlds. However, you get super defensive in the summer. Must be the heat. Texas is a huge state, so it has a ton of different climates. You're in northeast Texas, your weather is probably more similar to Kansas/Oklahoma than it is Brownsville.
I don't throw "major tantrums" here or in "real life." Not sure where you're getting that. And I'm not playing the victim card either - I'm just stating the obvious - that when I talk about loving Texas weather, you and a very small number of other posters invariably come back with "bet she won't be posting about how great it is in the summer" and other such tripe. It's an odd little mix of tiresome and mildly entertaining but that's about it.

The thing is, I realize that loving a place to live usually involves putting up with SOME discomfort at SOME time about SOMETHING - weather, cost of living, distance from family (could be a pro or a con - LOL), high taxes, fill in the blank. That doesn't ruin any place for me, and I've lived all over the world. For instance, I LOVED living in Germany (much different weather than Texas by the way - and I was still happy as a clam there), but I didn't like the long, dark, wet, cold winters. Oh well, a trade off for castles and the most gorgeous springs I've ever seen - and 20 hours of sunlight per day in July! I loved living in Maryland too - also much different weather from Texas - but I didn't like the havoc that hurricanes and local flooding could wreak (or the congestion and high cost of living), but oh well - it was a trade off for getting to live in the gorgeous Chesapeake Bay area, the beaches, etc.

Anyway, I can see how people would love all different types of weather patterns and I think that's great that we all have a choice.

Yes, Texas summers are long and hot but to me it's no worse than a long, cold winter - in fact, to ME it's BETTER than a long, hot winter but to each his own. I am not defensive about that, just realistic. The heat really DOESN'T get to this Louisiana native as much as it apparently does to lots of other people. But clearly I'm not alone, considering the population growth in Texas. Trade offs. Most people understand that concept and aren't threatened by it.

Meanwhile, weather report from northeast Texas (which is thankfully not at all like Brownsville, TX):

Rainy, thundery, high today of 52 - cold front moved in and tomorrow will be even colder and still wet. Potential for a low below 32 tomorrow night. That's OK, because Thursday should be GORGEOUS again with highs in the 50s and sunny sunny sunny. I guess I could focus on how rainy it often is in February - or I could just take note and be sure to get outside and enjoy the sun when it's not rainy.

Sort of like everyone else who's happy where they live - like the folks who focus on the beauty of fresh fallen snow rather than the gray slush that comes afterward. They focus on the beauty of fresh snow and not on the slush and gray, dirty stuff because they LOVE where they live, and that's great. They are just as aghast at 80 degrees in October as I am at piles of dirty snow for weeks on end. Neither mindset is right or wrong.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:51 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
To each his own. My only demand of October weather (which is generally great to me in most places, including but not limited to Texas) is that I don't sweat in my Halloween costume! Oh, and I also don't want it to be so cold that I have to wear a coat over my costume either. So I'm generally happy here.

I love the big, endless deep blue skies of October and that hint of fall in the air.
I am big on apple orchards and pumpkin picking and leaf peeping so I need a true northern fall. Last October ended on a cold note (first accumulating October snow since 2009, which at least shows it's not a common thing, and thankfully it melted quickly) and Halloween was between the high 20s and low 30s so it was cold but I, and none of my trick or treaters wore a coat/jacket over our costumes. My costume already came with a sweater but I didn't need anything else and it was cold but didn't feel as cold as I thought it would. Kids were dressed just as they would have had it been 50 instead of 30. I would preferred less cold conditions but at least it wasn't warm nor was there snow. Halloween 1991, that would have been a whole 'nother story!

Halloween 2015 had nice weather in Texas (50s and 60s) but Halloween 2016 sucked, it felt like I was in Florida. Also there was zero fall colour in October that year, 2015 actually had some colour. I remember it being surprisingly green well into November in 2016 down in Texas. Yuck!

In all fairness I would feel the same way if we went the whole month of April without any flowers or fresh leaves. Spring here though has similar average temps to fall with fall being more stable and a bit warmer. Last April when I visited was beautiful and everything was already green and blooming. Hope this spring is lovely, but without another flurry in May!

Old 02-06-2018, 08:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
so excuse me while I revel in Texas weather.
Texas weather sucks. I repeat: Texas weather sucks.

Alright everyone, all together now! Repeat after me: TEXAS. WEATHER. SUCKS!!!!

No, seriously. Texas weather sucks. Its rainy, its humid, winters aren't remotely "warm" like they say, its buggy, its stormy, it floods, it ices up, its devastated by monster tornados, ravaged by gargantuan hail from hell, its windy, and its nowhere near close to being the sunniest place in the country like Texans try to make it seem like it is.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Texas weather sucks. I repeat: Texas weather sucks.

Alright everyone, all together now! Repeat after me: TEXAS. WEATHER. SUCKS!!!!

No, seriously. Texas weather sucks. Its rainy, its humid, winters aren't remotely "warm" like they say, its buggy, its stormy, it floods, it ices up, its devastated by monster tornados, ravaged by gargantuan hail from hell, its windy, and its nowhere near close to being the sunniest place in the country like Texans try to make it seem like it is.
They even get hurricanes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.