Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
You can own a car and still walk. If you use mass transit you aren't walking.

In this age of terrorism, I think using mass transit is a bad idea.
More people die from Car accidents everyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
What is the closest that a typical person in their 20's could live to downtown DC and not be living in horrible housing?
I mean any young professional with a $80k job can live in downtown D.C. Just might not be a big place.

Just like I lived in Cambridge MA in my mid-20s, and live in downtown Boston at 30.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I mean any young professional with a $80k job can live in downtown D.C. Just might not be a big place.

Just like I lived in Cambridge MA in my mid-20s, and live in downtown Boston at 30.
Yup. I lived in the East Village and Lakeview in my 20s and lived without a car not far from work.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:30 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

That's the point that I'm trying to make. Walkability would be a bigger deal if there was a variety of housing.

Safe to say if you like living in a golf course community or out on a lake, you probably not going to be able to walk to a barber shop.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
That's the point that I'm trying to make. Walkability would be a bigger deal if there was a variety of housing.
If you included lots of home with yards throughout you wouldn't have enough people to create a dense situation full of amenities thus resulting in the car becoming your main mode of transport. You have now entered what is called the suburbs.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 PM

Here is a mixed use residential development in Huntsville AL:

https://www.villageofprovidence.com/

Good number of these in the south outside of downtown areas.

Greenville has one coming soon in the burbs. http://properties.theshoppingcenterg...4037/#overview

Old 12-05-2017, 09:37 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
If you included lots of home with yards throughout you wouldn't have enough people to create a dense situation full of amenities thus resulting in the car becoming your main mode of transport. You have now entered what is called the suburbs.
Quote of the night.

And on that note, Zzzz..

Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Here is a mixed use residential development in Huntsville AL:

https://www.villageofprovidence.com/

Good number of these in the south outside of downtown areas.

Greenville has one coming soon in the burbs.
Then I wonder why all these people live in places like SF and NYC when we could all go to these types of places. It doesn't make sense....

I just looked up Greenville on the map and it looks like all of the amenities are only on Main st from Oneil to Beattie st which is only like 8 blocks worth of stuff to do.. that won't do for someone like me.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
More people die from Car accidents everyday!
Terrorism isn't an accident. You have better chance of surviving a car accident than subway being bombed. And about 0 percent your car is going to be target of terrorism.

I remember back in 2009 the Metro had two cars run into each other and it killed 10 people or so. I wouldn't be putting my life in their hands.

In my head, I'm Tom Cruise doing a stunt in an action movie kind of driver. All I want is a chance to live and car gives me a better chance.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Terrorism isn't an accident. You have better chance of surviving a car accident than subway being bombed.

I remember back in 2009 the Metro had two cars run into each other and it killed 10 people or so. I wouldn't be putting my life in their hands.

In my head, I'm Tom Cruise doing a stunt in an action movie kind of driver. All I want is a chance to live and car gives me a better chance.
Yeah, I heard that before I think the guy who got t-boned by someone running a red light said the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.