Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 AM

530 posts, read 650,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I can see situations now that I did not think of before...But I just dont think that the option to get an abortion should be as advertised as it is...I think that when a woman has gone in for more than one abortion then it is time to let her deal with the pregnancy...SO, maybe give everyone one get out of jail free card when it comes to pregnancy...I do not think that a prostitute or drug addict should have children...I also do not think that someone who is under the age of consent should have to go through this either...however once they have been educated on the consequences of sexual intercourse then yes...both the male and female should have to deal with this. When I was growing up...my mom and dad scared the crap out of me with this stuff...the responsibilities of getting a girl pregnant...I think it is simply as easy as educating our children early on...before they start thinking about sex. It is my feelings that parents leave this up to the schools...I dont know about you but I have seen some of the things they are teaching these days...they wait till the kid is in high school and is starting to think sexually. This is wrong...we need to teach them before their brains begin to process that...oh, hey sex a fun thing and it cant be that bad if I get pregnant my teacher said that I can get an abortion...

Yes, it is the womans body and her right to choose what to do with it. I also think that we are understating the reality of things...we all want our kids to have it easy...think about it...if you are older than 20 years old you probably learned about the reality of life from your parents...Parents these days shelter their kids from the real world...I am sorry but by you sheltering your kids from reality and not teaching them the consequences that come with life...you are destroying that childs morals that should be built up by the age of about 20 give or take a few years.

I also think that if it is the womans body then she needs to express to each man she intends to sleep with that if she gets pregnant that she will have an abortion...it should not be the responsibility of the man. If the woman intends to keep it if she get pregnant she need to tell whomever she intends to have sex with...

If women did this I would have no problem with it...I guess my issue is that since it is the womans body and it is her right to do whatever she wants with it she has the moral duty to inform the man on her standing of pregnancy that way their is no issue with it. If the man still decides to have sex then he is out of luck...

So yeah I guess I am saying that women need to be more responsible and address where they stand on this matter before it happens.

If you use protection and it breaks...im sorry, but I still feel that you should have to have the child if no other complications occur.

I am not for abortion, however I do see some cases where it might be a choice to make. But I also see it as a way out of responsibility and way to avoid any consequence.

And to clear things up I do not think that castration of either sexes will solve anything.

Do you think it is right for a woman to have more than two abortions in less than 5 years? If it is a matter of health than make it so you cant get pregnant. If you are getting raped this often then...maybe you need to rethink your life...If you are under age...maybe someone should shoot your parents for not teaching you right...if you are a prostitute...well...shoot the prostitute...or make it so she cant get pregnant.

On the other had I do not think it is right for a woman to have 4+ kids with more than 3 fathers...and rely on the state for help.

Some people should just not be allowed to procreate or have sex. I know people on both sides of the fence here...I can see where both of them have a valid point in some cases.
I am soo glad it has finally occurred to you that outlawing abortion isn't the solution. And I can agree with you on most of the above stated things. The deal about castration was me making the point that it's not so easy when someone takes away your rights. I would never really want that, I like men and sex too much...lol. I personally think some people should just be sterilized at birth too..lol That's a joke people, don't get all offended. No matter which side of this debate you are on, it is never an easy decision for anyone to make and either way the consiquences will last most for a life time. Education and prevention are the two most important things we can do to reduce the number of abortions, and that's really what's in the best interest of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
There are too many ways to prevent pregnancy. I believe abortion should be allowed in cases of rape or as an exception, but not just because a woman was drunk and slept with a stranger or foolish reasons that could have been avoided.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
There are too many ways to prevent pregnancy. I believe abortion should be allowed in cases of rape or as an exception, but not just because a woman was drunk and slept with a stranger or foolish reasons that could have been avoided.
The problem is your making an exception. When we start making exceptions to any law, who decides what those exceptions are? That would be like the government saying everyone has to pay taxes, well except, john smith and herbert wilson there, but don't worry, they have a good reason. Then everyone will start looking for ways to get an exception. And a law making it illegal will not stop it, people will still have it done, and someone will always be willing to do it. Prostitution is illegal but the oldest known profession in the world. Making it illegal didn't stop it, it just made a bad situation even worse.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,440 times
I feel that abortions should be legal but should have more rules than they do. I also do not think that anyone with a Dr. attached to his/her name should be able to do it. Someone I know had to get this done for various reasons and the place she want to was a pro-life christian ran facility, yes the provided the abortion for this girl but they made her feel like garbage and casued her to go into a drinking stage in her life that could have killed her. I think that the government should have control of these places and a record should be kept of each person that does this. It should not be a private thing that gets shoved under a carpet like it was no big deal. There are too many places these day s making it easy.

It should not be as easy as going to the gas station for a fill up, and dont say it isnt becasue it is. I think there should be a limit on how many times you can get this done. I am not saying I agree or like abortion...however, there are times when this procedure should be done and many more when this procedure should not be.

Pregnancy has become a joke, becasue we have allowed abortion to become too easily accesable.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:23 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
The problem is your making an exception. When we start making exceptions to any law, who decides what those exceptions are? That would be like the government saying everyone has to pay taxes, well except, john smith and herbert wilson there, but don't worry, they have a good reason. Then everyone will start looking for ways to get an exception. And a law making it illegal will not stop it, people will still have it done, and someone will always be willing to do it. Prostitution is illegal but the oldest known profession in the world. Making it illegal didn't stop it, it just made a bad situation even worse.
By exception I meant known birth defects that will render the child a vegetable for life, or genetic defects that will have a profound impact on the family. It should be the parent's choice to teminate those kinds of pregnancies.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:27 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
the problem with this is that the child is the one that suffers. in most cases they are treated with neglect and left to their own devices to figure out life. they grow up and they cycle continues. most will end up in the foster care system or on welfare. then people are upset that the government has to spend money on these "lazy" people. should the child be made to have a crap life because the "parent" is nor responsible.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 AM

410 posts, read 515,088 times
I don't think people have the right to be discriminating towards these people that have had abortions. It may not be the right thing to do for many across the world, but it is legal and used by many as a solution to the problem they are dealing with. A reason for an abortion? Maybe you were sexually molested by your daddy or brothers and ended up pregnant. Maybe you were raped by a person and ended up pregnant. I understand why these people have abortions.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
By exception I meant known birth defects that will render the child a vegetable for life, or genetic defects that will have a profound impact on the family. It should be the parent's choice to teminate those kinds of pregnancies.
And that is just your opinion, and when you get to have one, so does everyone else. Mistakes happen and people should have to give up the rest of their lives for one mistake. Say a 13 yr old girl who was molested her whole life by a family friend views sex as ok because no one ever said it wasn't, so she seeks love in sex. She goes out and sleeps with the boy down the street, and gets pregnant, do you think she should be forced to keep that child and raise it? How do expect her to raise it? Is it her fault no one ever cared enough to teach her right from wrong? See I don't think she should have to and her parents will most likely end up raising it or she ends up on welfare and we the tax payers end up raising it, but hey serves her right huh? Where is the logic there? You are either for it or against it, when you start making exceptions, it gets muddy, if you are for it with regulations, you are still saying it is ok. Not trying to pick on you, just trying to make a point.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 AM

703 posts, read 2,942,410 times
Religious school grads likelier to have abortions - More health news- msnbc.com

Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I believe that it is a personal decision enough said .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates