Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Uh...I saw it on a minivan not 5 minutes after arriving in Greenville for the first time last spring. I've lived here less than a week and have seen it more times than I can count. I would question your powers of observation, or perhaps you are so used to it, it just blends into the background now. I mean they are not huge flags in front of houses, but small magnets on cars, stickers on windows, rings of stars around license plates, etc. But coming from somewhere where you almost never see it, it seems like it is everywhere here. My favorite was a confederate flag behind a largemouth bass on the back of an old pickup. I knew I was in the south when I saw that.
really? I moved like 4 or 5 months ago and I haven't noticed it that much, I think I see more mexican flags than I do confederate(not that theres anything wrong with that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 02:19 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Yes, really. Maybe I am more sensitive to it, or looking out for it (BTW, I am a visual artist who works with color, shapes, line, etc.). I saw the confederate flag at least twice on my first day here. The first was on the minivan, the second was on the back of the t-shirt of the man in front of me in line at the gas station. He purchased a 40oz. beer and seven cigarettes (not that there is anything wrong with that, either - I just remember the guy well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
really? I moved like 4 or 5 months ago and I haven't noticed it that much, I think I see more mexican flags than I do confederate(not that theres anything wrong with that)

Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 PM

39 posts, read 157,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I don't think anyone here has suggested that Greenville is perfect. Many of us do, however, feel that it is pretty incredible.
Funny, just accept Greenville may NOT be as "incredible" to ALL (or the majority) as you may portray...
Furthermore- don't discount the opinions of those who do not share the same ideas as you...

The title of the posting is "HAS ANYONE REGRETTED THEIR MOVE TO GVL" after all...

Just food for thought...

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 PM

39 posts, read 157,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post

Hmmm- come to Greer or Simpsonville... you'll see plenty...

Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportysocrchik98 View Post
Funny, just accept Greenville may NOT be as "incredible" to ALL (or the majority) as you may portray...
Furthermore- don't discount the opinions of those who do not share the same ideas as you...

The title of the posting is "HAS ANYONE REGRETTED THEIR MOVE TO GVL" after all...

Just food for thought...
Who said I discounted your opinions? I don't disagree with your opinion of Greenville any more than you disagree with mine...

Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,360 times
Shh ------- don't say a word!
Don't let the cat out of the bag!
Just say something like................. North Carolina is good, West Virginia is great, and other stuff like that.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 PM

163 posts, read 525,766 times
Sonrise said;

Tank,
In the mid 90's I drove a taxi in Atlantic City for 2 1/2 years. I was 1 of 25 white, english speaking cabbies amongst 500 or so. A true minority, if you will. The majority of my co-workers were Indian, Pakistani, Haitian, Nigerian, etc. Since I worked an average of 12 hour shifts these people also became my close friends.

This cab was operated by my friend Michel' from Haiti. Since I was only 4 or 5 cabs back I was privy to the conversation that unfolded. The thug dude walked up to Michel' and repeated the same request to Michel' that he did to me. He then proceeded to ask for a discount. Michel' was highly offended by that request and said, "discount, what do you mean?" The other guy replied, "Yo man, why you gotta do me like that? We brothers". To which Michel' replied, rather loudly, "brothers? We're brothers? Why are we brothers, because we're both black? Look at me (pinching his arm) I'm black like midnight and I work 60 hours a week to take care of my family. You're born and raised in America, America and you don't even have a job. I'm not your brother". The dude walked away muttering under his breath, "man forget you".

Two "black" men. One born and raised in America with all of the opportunities and advantages that it affords. The other, from a 3rd world country, darker than oil, unable to speak the native tongue until he learned yet worked like crazy to provide a better life for his family.

By the way, many if not most black immigrants from the carribbean and africa have a lot of contempt for african americans (and actually hate that term). They just shake their collective heads in disbelief that so many black americans have bought into the victim mentality. Even the poorest people in America have a tv and microwave meanwhile they're literally eating where they're pooping.

Sonrise, if it had not been for the struggles and sacrifices of African-Americans your friend Michel probably wouldn't be in America today! Blacks who fought and stood up against a rascist system paved the way for him and many other black and other immagrants who were viewed as less desireable.
Michel, if he had picked up a history book and an economics book may have come to understand that when a whole people group, who were intentionally and systematically kept from participating in the economic system for centuries in this nation, would see how remarkable it is today that so many blacks are actually thriving and prospering beyond reason.
He should realize how difficult it is to catch up to others who have had centuries of advantage and who actually created the rules for playing the game before he opened his mouth. Or maybe Michel didn't know that it has only been 40 years since blacks won hard-fought passage of favorable laws to make themselves equal citizens and opportunity to compete successfully. Maybe he should focus how far black Americans have come in spite of all the obstacles. Then I think, he would appreciate all the sacrifices of a people who poaved the way for people like him to participate in American society.
I am not defending thugs or black racist or men who refuse to work for a living, but I will always defend truth against hyperbole, lies and outright ignorant quotes and statements.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:13 AM

609 posts, read 1,619,915 times
no confederate flags in Greenville?

honestly. You must be blind to not see them here

ther'es a Confederate History musuem downtown..... and a klu klux klan memorabilia store in Laurens or somewhere not too far out from Greenville

Lets be more realistic here with the views

Goto Hollywild Animal park... the people across the street from the entrance of that park, where kids go to have fun of all races... they felt it was important for them to find the biggest flag possible and fly it in front of their home

Confederates came to greenville to hide in the woods.. who celebrates cowardism?

Old 10-20-2007, 06:07 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
It is the South afterall, but if you want to find the old southern "rebel" mentality, Greenville is not your best place to look. Greenville is easily more progressive minded than many other cities in the South, though you will obviously have a few people around the edges still living in the past. Consider the fact that this region is still experiencing a revolutionary transition from those days. It has made tremendous progress so far and is continuing to grow better every year. Those people constitute a tiny minority of this large region. I hope people in every community will put forth the same effort to make positive changes for the good of everyone. No more complaining about being mistreated when you don't get out and work to make things better!

Old 10-20-2007, 08:45 AM

609 posts, read 1,619,915 times
Greenville still has some of that rebel mentality. And they hate Liberals here lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area