Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
'Illegal immigration is a good thing', huh?
Must've been a "freudian slip". DAMN! I just stole a reference someone could've used for the millionth time on here to sound smart!

Last edited by antialphabet; 02-25-2009 at 10:43 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Must've been a "fredian slip". DAMN! I just stole a reference someone could've used for the millionth time on here to sound smart!
Well, at least you are trying

Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times
Quote:
Another failed attempt at making a point.
What are you blind to not have seen the exchange between me and him on the page before this one? Or were you too busy concocting random facts and trivia about how Mexico has all the problems America does a bajillion times worst?

I "dare" not, haha.
What an act of desperation.

And I notice how you don't include the quotation marks around Hispanic when referring to a Hispanic who agrees with you, lol.
First of all, I am Cuban, I dislike the word Latino and I am not so sure about Hispanic. But, since I live in this country, when asked, I always mark the little square box that says Hispanic. To my understanding, Latinos are all those people that spoke Latin back in the days....but that's a different story.

In Cuban culture (which has nothing to do with Mexican, Colombian or any other Spanish speaking country in the Mainland), a blond, blue eye person is always a beauty. The same goes in Spain. I've never being to Mexico or any other country in Latin America. But for what I see on TV, all those beautiful actresses and actors ARE light skin, with long Roman noses and very European features. In fact, on most of those soap operas, the poor peasant girl that falls in love with the rich handsome guy, she is always Indian looking, and they guy has a rich hairy chest (which local Indians don’t have!!).

Now I am not too sure if I can call ArizonaBear a friend, we have had disagreements in the past, but at least in this topic, we both agree because we are both right. He might not be Hispanic, but he sure knows how our wheels grind and what generally speaking is considered beautiful. Let's face it antialphabet, if you open your typical Mexican X rated magazine, you will only see blond ladies. I can assure you that you will not see a single woman with a prominent wide nose, rounded circular face and barely 5 ft tall. It is reality. Beauty is blond, blond is sexy, and sexy sells magazines.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
First of all, I am Cuban, I dislike the word Latino and I am not so sure about Hispanic. But, since I live in this country, when asked, I always mark the little square box that says Hispanic. To my understanding, Latinos are all those people that spoke Latin back in the days....but that's a different story.

In Cuban culture (which has nothing to do with Mexican, Colombian or any other Spanish speaking country in the Mainland), a blond, blue eye person is always a beauty. The same goes in Spain. I've never being to Mexico or any other country in Latin America. But for what I see on TV, all those beautiful actresses and actors ARE light skin, with long Roman noses and very European features. In fact, on most of those soap operas, the poor peasant girl that falls in love with the rich handsome guy, she is always Indian looking, and they guy has a rich hairy chest (which local Indians don’t have!!).

Now I am not too sure if I can call ArizonaBear a friend, we have had disagreements in the past, but at least in this topic, we both agree because we are both right. He might not be Hispanic, but he sure knows how our wheels grind and what generally speaking is considered beautiful. Let's face it antialphabet, if you open your typical Mexican X rated magazine, you will only see blond ladies. I can assure you that you will not see a single woman with a prominent wide nose, rounded circular face and barely 5 ft tall. It is reality. Beauty is blond, blond is sexy, and sexy sells magazines.
Thank you for having my back.

As for what is not considered 'sexy' SOB or anyplace else: that is truly sad that a little 'round' Mayan, etc. would not be considered attractive--------some of those Indian ladies are beauties as well (perfect 10-7-10 bust/waist/hip ratios as well as symmetrical facial features).

Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I'm not arguing the fact that the image of beauty is European features. But tell me, is that unique to Hispanic Culture? Or is that a world thing? Are Hispanics more racist than any other culture? THAT is what ArizonaBear is implying. Is this image of beauty not found in many many many other countries?

I don't think you understand his real intentions. He is singling out, and attempting to deride Hispanics as being a culture of racists.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Whats with the "HOOPLA" of the facial features...nose shape...shade of skin and the decritives of the LATIN AMERICA beauties...Central America or South America...Spain or Mexico. They are all at the most beauties.

Why don't you all give it a rest and return to the original "OP" "WHY DO I NEED TO SPEAK SPANISH"

Seems like the subject matter has gotten way off the original path. Steve B

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 02-26-2009 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Mistyped a letter

Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing the fact that the image of beauty is European features. But tell me, is that unique to Hispanic Culture? Or is that a world thing? Are Hispanics more racist than any other culture? THAT is what ArizonaBear is implying. Is this image of beauty not found in many many many other countries?

I don't think you understand his real intentions. He is singling out, and attempting to deride Hispanics as being a culture of racists.
I understand what you both are saying, and I agree with both you. We Hispanics are not the only racist people on Earth, all races are prejudice and for the most part, European features are the standards of beauty (or at least that is what the media and Hollywood has hammered us with). Having said that, Hispanics are also among the most racist people I have encountered. My experience living in Miami was full of racism and hate. Every nationality hated the other ones. A Nicaraguan couldn't stand a Cuban, a Cuban hated Puerto Ricans, PR's didn't like Dominicans, Dominicans against Haitians, Argentineans versus Chileans, Colombians at war with Venezuelans, Peruvians fighting Bolivians, etc.
I don't know if AB or you have any hidden agendas or intentions. Honestly, I really don't care. I know what I am and where I stand, and I have plenty of discrimination against my persona for being gay, therefore I am not getting into the racism game, I already got plenty in my plate. If anything, I do discriminate against others that do not have an educated background. I can't stand dumb people. Peace.

Now back to the original topic, why do I need to speak Spanish? Because for better or for worse, Hispanics are the biggest minority in this country, but it is up to you, the American people, if you want to learn Spanish or not, it should not be enforced.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I understand what you both are saying, and I agree with both you. We Hispanics are not the only racist people on Earth, all races are prejudice and for the most part, European features are the standards of beauty (or at least that is what the media and Hollywood has hammered us with). Having said that, Hispanics are also among the most racist people I have encountered. My experience living in Miami was full of racism and hate. Every nationality hated the other ones. A Nicaraguan couldn't stand a Cuban, a Cuban hated Puerto Ricans, PR's didn't like Dominicans, Dominicans against Haitians, Argentineans versus Chileans, Colombians at war with Venezuelans, Peruvians fighting Bolivians, etc.
I don't know if AB or you have any hidden agendas or intentions. Honestly, I really don't care. I know what I am and where I stand, and I have plenty of discrimination against my persona for being gay, therefore I am not getting into the racism game, I already got plenty in my plate. If anything, I do discriminate against others that do not have an educated background. I can't stand dumb people. Peace.

Now back to the original topic, why do I need to speak Spanish? Because for better or for worse, Hispanics are the biggest minority in this country, but it is up to you, the American people, if you want to learn Spanish or not, it should not be enforced.

What could my agenda be that Hispanics are just people, and no more evil than the next? Every where you go, it's the upper class vs. the lower class. EVERYWHERE.

In Latin America, the upper class are the people who are of mostly European descent, because they are the descendants of the ruling class.
Also, the image of beauty in the world is a white, European features, or the closest thing to them.
From the U.S., to Mexico, to Japan, to Europe.

This DOES NOT make Hispanics any more racist than any other culture. It comes down to the individual, not broad generalizations.
And he is using the white rich majority to bash all the people in general.

And I don't know what it's like in Cuba, where its mostly Whites and Blacks and Mulattos(at least from what I know, let me know if I'm wrong), but I do know that Arizonabear uses a bunch of pop culture to prove his point. In Mexico, among the common people, there is acknowledgement of indigenous roots. The national heroes, which I feel hold more weight than the current running novela, range from European, to Mestizo, to Indian, to part African Ancestry. Many of the country's most beloved figures run run the gamut of race.

Maybe I don't know much about Cuba, and maybe you don't know much about Mexico.
Maybe your perspective as a white Cuban is different than my perspective as a mestizo Mexican-American. Maybe we come in contact with a different class of Hispanics. But I find the berating of Hispanics by Arizonabear as extremely offensive.
And I can imagine he would look at our differences with glee, because to him it proves that Hispanics aren't a united group.

From what you said about clashing of different Hispanic groups, I've heard a little about the environment in Miami/Florida. From what I've heard, that may or may not be wrong, the upper class, well to do. white Cubans of Miami look down on Mexicans/Central Americans. Maybe Miami, as very Latin-American influenced city has it's own politics.
In LA and California, I haven't come across that. It's a different political environment, apparently. I have made good friends with Puerto Ricans from New York, went to school and had great times with a Nicaraguan, had friends that were Guatemalan, Salvadorian, and had friends that were part Mexican and part Puerto Rican, part Cuban, and part Dominican respectively. We all connected as friends, and felt a connection as Latinos.

And as Mexican-Americans/Mexicans, of my family and friends, we ourselves run the gamut from European-White to Indian Brown. A small few even with that Veracruz African blood.

The clashes exist(not that I've encountered it much), but that happens more with the ignorant. Gangbangers and people with superiority complexes. Again, something I've rarely encountered.

Maybe that might have something to do with the different perspectives me and you have. I think the environment is different here than there.

Last edited by antialphabet; 02-26-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 PM

43 posts, read 53,431 times
Quote:

Wow, is this derailed or what, that may be what you think, but time after time the most beautiful women in the world are tall slender "criollas" from
Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and Colombia, combined they have won more miss universe pageants that all other combined. I see a lot of blondes that are
beautiful chicks, but most or them at least here in the US, are either fat,
toothless, fool of tatoos, or simply unatractive, I admire the beauty of our women like the rest of the world.
There are also a lot of beautiful cuban "criollas", although the vast majority of cubans are black (afro-cuban).

Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM

197 posts, read 265,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
Wow, is this derailed or what, that may be what you think, but time after time the most beautiful women in the world are tall slender "criollas" from
Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and Colombia, combined they have won more miss universe pageants that all other combined. I see a lot of blondes that are
beautiful chicks, but most or them at least here in the US, are either fat,
toothless, fool of tatoos, or simply unatractive, I admire the beauty of our women like the rest of the world.
There are also a lot of beautiful cuban "criollas", although the vast majority of cubans are black (afro-cuban).
That is true, but that's not the image we want to portray about hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration