Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 03:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
Oh My God.....Spot on brother. Let me add something to what you just said. They feel superior, in their own way, to the rest of Hispanics. They won't admit it, but if comes out in every instance. Of course, no nationality can surpass the Argentinians in arrogance, but they sure are right behind....
And the irony is that Argentines are not well liked by Spaniards either for the reasons you stated. If anything: apparently Spain prefers Italians and Romanians over any variety of New World 'Hispanic' as potential immigrants.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And the irony is that Argentines are not well liked by Spaniards either for the reasons you stated. If anything: apparently Spain prefers Italians and Romanians over any variety of New World 'Hispanic' as potential immigrants.
Seeing what so many of the New World "Hispanics" are like these days, I sure as hell don't blame them.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 PM

67 posts, read 99,502 times
We should all learn spanish to assimilate into their culture, Is that how it works? I know one thing is for sure. If i moved to France tommorrow and planed to live there permanently, I would do my best to learn French and hate Americans, just to fit in.
The point Im making is its ok to hold onto your culture, but when you move to another country, people should do their best to assimilate into society, not the other way around. At least thats the way it used to be. Its a shame we have to learn how to speak spanish and bend over backwards to better serve these people.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 AM

9 posts, read 15,165 times
Quote:
The illegals are leaving in droves as we speak.

Considering that the USA is much stronger than Mexico: it would behoove the latter nation's people to learn English for a number of reasons.
In mexico they do teach you english and other languages as in europe. It is sometimes the case that illegal immigrants don't often go to school in Mexico though. However, the more you know the better you are of. Yeah illegals might or might not be leaving but their is a substantial amount of hispanics living here and it will open your eyes to a new culture that is as much part as that anglo, german, irish, and italian.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEFF19 View Post
In mexico they do teach you english and other languages as in europe. It is sometimes the case that illegal immigrants don't often go to school in Mexico though. However, the more you know the better you are of. Yeah illegals might or might not be leaving but their is a substantial amount of hispanics living here and it will open your eyes to a new culture that is as much part as that anglo, german, irish, and italian.
The language of the USA is English----------not Spanish. Needless to say: it is the responsibility of legal immigrants to learn our tongue. Illegal aliens do not count: they are criminals and need to be dealt with accordingly.

As in Rome: do as the Romans do-----------and, that also applies to Gringos living in Mexico, they damn sure better learn Spanish or else.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:54 PM

43 posts, read 53,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So in Puerto Rico, no elderly get Medicaid and Medicare?

What does this has to do with anything???, any way since you ask; yes Portorricans pay social security and medicare taxes, like any other citizens, Puert Ricans also buy billions of dollars in goods from the USA helping create jobs here in the mainland, in fact PR is one of the biggest markets for mainland goods.
Medicaid represent a fraction of the entitlement that people receive per capita in the US, in fact medicaid fund are put to good use in puerto rico when it is used in a privatized social medicine program, instead of being wasted like in the mainland.
Puerto-Ricans also serve proudly in the US armed forced in igher number per capita than any other region in the country.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEFF19 View Post
Yes, I would be lost in parts of my city if I were unable to speak Gaelic

Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, I would be lost in parts of my city if I were unable to speak Gaelic
I know just what you mean. Gaelic can mean the difference between a simple misunderstading and an all-out fistfight. It's all in how you use it.

I've ALSO been saved on several occasions by the judicious use of a phrase or two of pidgin calo', cowboy 'twang', a little jive, or an occasional phrase in Cajun, or Papamiento. You just can't be TOO prepared. A smile helps, too. Smiles are the "universal language". The 'one finger salute', on the other hand, may be misunderstood; it can vary in meaning according to culture (AND on which particular finger is used)...

Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM

43 posts, read 53,446 times
Quote:
For what you say, I assume you've never been to Spain, I have been there several times, the spaniards are very engaging with any tourists
from latin america, and the "estados unidos" that speak spanish, while very indifferent to tourists from "estados unidos" that don't speak spanish, remember there are more spanish speaking people in the USA than in Spain

Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
For what you say, I assume you've never been to Spain, I have been there several times, the spaniards are very engaging with any tourists
from latin america, and the "estados unidos" that speak spanish, while very indifferent to tourists from "estados unidos" that don't speak spanish, remember there are more spanish speaking people in the USA than in Spain
The key word being tourists-----------I was referring to Argentines, etc. working in Spain.

And; no, I have never set foot in that nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration