Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And the irony is that Argentines are not well liked by Spaniards either for the reasons you stated. If anything: apparently Spain prefers Italians and Romanians over any variety of New World 'Hispanic' as potential immigrants.
They prefer ALL of those groups over North African Muslims, and not without reason. Muslim immigrants are BY FAR the least popular immigrants in Spain. (I'm not saying all of them are bad people, though. Obviously there are some good ones - they're not all terrorists or thugs.)

Old 02-20-2009, 06:13 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
They prefer ALL of those groups over North African Muslims, and not without reason. Muslim immigrants are BY FAR the least popular immigrants in Spain. (I'm not saying all of them are bad people, though. Obviously there are some good ones - they're not all terrorists or thugs.)
That I do believe............

And the irony is that a swarthy burka (sp) wearing Arabic Muslim woman would be counted as Anglo White here in Arizona whereas a Mexican of 100% English lineage would be a Hispanic.

Welcome to the legal system/cultural mores here.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That I do believe............

And the irony is that a swarthy burka (sp) wearing Arabic Muslim woman would be counted as Anglo White here in Arizona whereas a Mexican of 100% English lineage would be a Hispanic.

Welcome to the legal system/cultural mores here.
If enough Muslims would move to the USA, or would be entering the country illegally like the Mexicans, then I am sure the US government would invent a collective name for them. We like to categorize people in separate groups so subconsciously they feel as different communities. "United We Stand"....divided…we have no hope.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Bottom line is the type of clothes whether it be Burques by Muslims or sombreros by Mexicans...they set themselves to appear different then American society as a whole.

Clothes and actions will make the difference obvious and speak volumes.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:09 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Bottom line is the type of clothes whether it be Burques by Muslims or sombreros by Mexicans...they set themselves to appear different then American society as a whole.

I am sorry but the clothes I wear should not be a reason to be targeted by any one. It is ok to be different, it is ok to stand out. What is not ok is to target someone because of how they look. And that holds true for blacks wearing pants down their knees, Mexicans wearing sombreros or rednecks with their confederate flag in the back of their trucks. That's the beauty of this nation, diversity, equality, freedom of speech and expression.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 AM

Clothes that are being worn by choice does not make a person a TARGET by any means.

What it does is that a person stands out in a group of people. Unfortunately there are some who dress a certain way and at the same time are doing certain things to make their type stand out; i.e. pants down with boxers showing...low riders autos...being gang bangers...walking the talk etc...the list goes on.

I'm not prejudiced by any means...could care less one way or the other...to each his own...good or bad.

Some posters have NEVER been outside the US and guage their impressions on what element of society has reached our shores whether it be LEGAL or ILLEGAL.

I spent three yrs in Mexico City and was always dressed in American style clothes....was never discriminated against. I visited the Malls and looked at the different clothes for both Men and Women. There is a different style sold. I'm talking every day clothes and not some high end...high fashion...high dollar stores which they do have.

I was comfortable and never pinpointed as being different. Many times while riding in the Metro holding a Grocery store shopping bag would look out of the corner of my eye and catch people staring at me...is he a Gringo or what with a grocery Mkt bag?. My schitik was that I had a camera or jacket etc in the bag to thwart any theft. I acted like a local but looked different. It is the actions of some that cause the stand out and negative reactions and sterotypeing in US. No attempts to assimmilate by trying to learn English. The same could be said for some Americans who go for a visit in other countries without trying to learn/understand a few words inorder to make the visit more pleasurable.

Little off subject matter (sorry)...people coming to the US via Legal or Illegal need to learn some English and NOT expect Americans to learn Spanish to accommadate them. Over time many Americans will learn some Spanish...just takes time to enjoy mutual respect. Steve

Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 PM

43 posts, read 53,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
If enough Muslims would move to the USA, or would be entering the country illegally like the Mexicans, then I am sure the US government would invent a collective name for them. We like to categorize people in separate groups so subconsciously they feel as different communities. "United We Stand"....divided…we have no hope.

We already gave them a name; "Muslims" ......

Old 02-22-2009, 06:20 PM

197 posts, read 265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

HHmmmmm....... I wonder was is typical american dressing code..,
Usually we are acussed of being informal and awkwardly dressed,,,,,

Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I am sorry but the clothes I wear should not be a reason to be targeted by any one. It is ok to be different, it is ok to stand out. What is not ok is to target someone because of how they look. And that holds true for blacks wearing pants down their knees, Mexicans wearing sombreros or rednecks with their confederate flag in the back of their trucks. That's the beauty of this nation, diversity, equality, freedom of speech and expression.
Unfortunately; Steve is onto something there............

First impressions do count-----------for better or worse.

I may look like an old Hippie but; it would be risky for me to dress like a stereotypical skinhead for obvious reasons.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Mori-vivi; you need to visit a store that has a mexican clientile and see for yourself the style of clothes that is being sold. There is nothing wrong with this as it is what the country has for it's people.

Coming across the border into US you will find many stores that cater to these clientile with the style of clothes from back home.

Suppose you were in a different country...say Japan and your meager stock of American clothes was getting low and you found a store that had a large stock of home style clothes...you would jump to buy. This is what the illegals are doing in the US.

Dress code in US...no way. Those in New York or LA or South Carolina all have a little style clothes of their own. A slight culture thing.

Northern Mexico...central Mexico...Mexico City...vera Cruz on down south each have their own style of clothes...no dress code.

In the 30's Clark Gable wore a undershirt in a movie. Today that has been replaced with the T-shirt.

In Mexico men today still wear a undershirt instead of a t-shirt in the public and consider this to be normal. (This is common in east LA Calif. via the latinos). Most mexican men will wear long sleeve shirts due to working in construction or in the fields be Mexico or in the US.

American men wear short sleeve shirts or t-shirts with different logos or themes on the front.

When I lived in Mexico City friends would ask me to bring back some of the American t-shirts because they were different and not available in the city. Took one that had a map of Calif on the front for the daughter of a friend and she wore it a lot to high school so the friend told me. All the girls wanted to know where she bought the t-shirt. Most stores have a general fare on clothes. One supplier sells to all the small outlets in many cases.

It is obvious you have not spent a lot of time in Mexico otherwise you would know of what I speak.

As to any other person visiting a few days here and there is nothing (with all respect) compared too actual living amongst the people and breaking bread (tacos etc) with them.

Steve (16 yrs in mexico next April 15th)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration