Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; heaven forbid if the USA did indeed go 'Spanish'---------that would probably screw the Mestizos and other non White folks due to the White supremacy of Hispanic culture. Can someone see a modified version of 'Jim Crow' return? Remember the standard of beauty in both Mexico and Spain is white skin and blue eyes----------which would cut off virtually all Mexicans.

Be careful what you wish for; Spanish lovers.
I totally agree. In Spain and Cuba (places that I can relate to, since I have both ancestries) a blond blue eye individual is the pinnacle of beauty. If Hispanic culture becomes supreme in the USA (that would be day I move to Canada), then most Mexicans and Central Americans will be categorized as ugly people!! For example, when have you seen a Mestizo Miss Universe from Venezuela, Mexico or Argentina?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Say I'm in Mexico City as an "ILLEGAL" resident.

See a sign in Spanish "SOLICITA CAJERA" (cashier wanted)

I apply for the position even though I do not speak any Spanish.

Do I qualify for the job? even though I do not speak any Spanish.

Then why should I have to learn the language...the customers should learn English for my benifit.

Reverse the situation and you have what is going on in the US today.

Steve

Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 AM

43 posts, read 53,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You obviously hold the Spanish language in the highest esteem. Through all of this quibbling back and forth you continue to defend those who reside in an English-speaking country and who are too damned lazy to learn a second language--the language of that country. For some reason, it makes sense to you for everyone in this English-speaking country to learn the language of those coming into the country.

Yet… here you are arguing about it in English. So obviously you speak English. Why? Is there any benefit to you personally in knowing English here in the US? And if there is a benefit to you, why do you wish to deny others that same benefit? That immigrant who can’t get a decent job because he or she can’t speak English is actually being harmed by folks with your attitude. You are denying him or her the same opportunities that you and the rest of us take for granted. It seems a rather hypocritical stance and a good way to keep that sector of the population at a disadvantage. It’s repression, plain and simple. In this country, the Spanish speaker who learns English has WAY more to gain then does the English speaker who learns Spanish. You cannot deny that.

I personally have nothing against Spanish at all. I speak Spanish. I'm listening to Silvia Tarragona on Internet radio from Spain right now. I love languages and study several of them. Given the personal choice, I would choose a different language from English to speak in my day-to-day life. Perhaps you would too. But as long as you and I are here in the US of A, I would have to say that being able to communicate in English (regardless of how many other languages we may speak) is giving us a distinct advantage (in many ways) over others who are here and cannot communicate in English. Do you really wish to repress these people? You reap the benefits of speaking English; why shouldn’t they enjoy those same benefits?
No question about it, in fact I don't know a single second generation or more hispanic whose dominant language is english, however for whatever
reason spanish does not disappear we keep using it as a second language.
I see nothing wrong with that , this is a de facto multicultural, bilingual country.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; heaven forbid if the USA did indeed go 'Spanish'---------that would probably screw the Mestizos and other non White folks due to the White supremacy of Hispanic culture. Can someone see a modified version of 'Jim Crow' return? Remember the standard of beauty in both Mexico and Spain is white skin and blue eyes----------which would cut off virtually all Mexicans.

Be careful what you wish for; Spanish lovers.
So stupid. The claim, not the person(for T.O.S. reasons).
The standard of beauty in the WORLD is European features.
Projecting your insecurities.

Btw, the president of Mexico is Mestizo, as well as most of the national heroes(something you refuse to acknowledge).

Old 02-25-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Say I'm in Mexico City as an "ILLEGAL" resident.

See a sign in Spanish "SOLICITA CAJERA" (cashier wanted)

I apply for the position even though I do not speak any Spanish.

Do I qualify for the job? even though I do not speak any Spanish.

Then why should I have to learn the language...the customers should learn English for my benifit.

Reverse the situation and you have what is going on in the US today.

Steve
How many people are being forced to learn Spanish? The whole language issue is EXTREMELY exaggerated.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
So stupid. The claim, not the person(for T.O.S. reasons).
The standard of beauty in the WORLD is European features.
Projecting your insecurities.

Btw, the president of Mexico is Mestizo, as well as most of the national heroes(something you refuse to acknowledge).
European features ARE the standard of beauty. Japanese women dye their hair light brown (blond would look freaky). African American women straightened their hair. Every body likes blue/green eyes.

The President of Mexico, Mr. Felipe Calderón looks pretty white to me...Anyways, whose heroes are you refering to? Mexico's? How is that relevant to me in the USA?!?!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
European features ARE the standard of beauty. Japanese women dye their hair light brown (blond would look freaky). African American women straightened their hair. Every body likes blue/green eyes.

The President of Mexico, Mr. Felipe Calderón looks pretty white to me...Anyways, whose heroes are you refering to? Mexico's? How is that relevant to me in the USA?!?!
How is the supposed "white supremacy" of Hispanic culture relevant to you in the USA?"!?!" "".

You are right that the standard of beauty being European features is common in other cultures as well. So why do you go along with ArizonaBears insinuations that this is unique to Hispanic culture?

Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
How is the supposed "white supremacy" of Hispanic culture relevant to you in the USA?"!?!" "".

You are right that the standard of beauty being European features is common in other cultures as well. So why do you go along with ArizonaBears insinuations that this is unique to Hispanic culture?
ArizonaBear never said in his post that the standard of beauty was European features. He said that is the case in Mexico and Spain. I still don't get your white supremacy hispanic culture USA statement. I am Hispanic, but my skin is as white as any European. So your point is?

Old 02-25-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
ArizonaBear never said in his post that the standard of beauty was European features. He said that is the case in Mexico and Spain. I still don't get your white supremacy hispanic culture USA statement. I am Hispanic, but my skin is as white as any European. So your point is?
Uhhhh....yeahhhhh....he said that..and I said it was common in the world, and you agreed. You seem kind of confused.

ArizonaBear talks about White supremacy in Hispanic Culture. I say that is not something exclusive to Hispanic culture. Again, you made a comment that backed up my statement(apparently not deliberately).

What is your point about the color of your skin?
You're bouncing all over the place.
Hopefully the summary helps you.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:

We are discussing Hispanic culture in that the 'ideal' is white skin and blue eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.