Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times

Advertisements

The majority of illegals are low skilled non-English speakers who don't even have a high school diploma. It it utterly delusional to think they contribute anything to this country economically. They don't even do so in their own countries so why would they be able to do so here where they are at even greater disadvantage?

Then again I'm still reeling from the assertion that illegals sit around holding the benefits their anchors get until the brats come of age. Because I'm sure they wait eighteen years before using food stamps to feed themselves at public expense.

Illegals do what is in their self interest by coming here in violation of our laws. Americans do what is in their self interest by demanding they get off the public teat and go home. Why is the decision to enter America ahead of others waiting, forge documents and use social services somehow this noble act . . . while the opposition is racism?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM

951 posts, read 745,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The majority of illegals are low skilled non-English speakers who don't even have a high school diploma. It it utterly delusional to think they contribute anything to this country economically. They don't even do so in their own countries so why would they be able to do so here where they are at even greater disadvantage?
I'm reeling that after all this talk of them taking the jobs of Americans you think they are worthless. Were the Irish educated when they came en mass? nah. Were the Italians? nah. Did they speak English? nah. But this is different right? My great grandmother spoke Norwegian exclusively for at least 10 years after entering the country. She had no high school diploma. She had no English speaking skills. She went across MN on an ox cart and farmed the land.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
I'm reeling that after all this talk of them taking the jobs of Americans you think they are worthless. Were the Irish educated when they came en mass? nah. Were the Italians? nah. Did they speak English? nah. But this is different right? My great grandmother spoke Norwegian exclusively for at least 10 years after entering the country. She had no high school diploma. She had no English speaking skills. She went across MN on an ox cart and farmed the land.
This is the year 2011, not the Industrial Revolution. Times have changed, likewise, have our needs. We have an abundance of low-skilled, uneducated, low-wage earners. We certainly don’t need more. We need skilled innovators to help us compete. Have you noticed our current ranking in the academic world? If not, it’s not a pretty picture. A 5th grade education won’t help us progress.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We have an abundance of low-skilled, uneducated, low-wage earners. We certainly don’t need more.
The 11,000+(and growing) job openings in GA disagree with you. That's farm workers only which as chicagonut pointed out is only 3% of the variety of jobs illegals do.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity do you know anything at all about the history of American immigration?

Anything?

Because if you did you'd know that those groups largely immigrated LEGALLY during the second great wave of immigration. That happened roughly from 1880 to 1920. America was a vastly different place then. Most people did NOT go to high school let alone graduate. Americans needed more people to fill factories and populate the country.

After then the door was slammed shut to let immigrants (LEGAL immigrants) assimilate. It was not opened again until 1965.

The law was also different back then. Back then if you couldn't make it here economically you left. There were no safety nets. You most certainly couldn't drop a baby and then march over to the local welfare office demanding that we feed both you and it. One third of all Italian immigrants found they couldn't make it and they left.

FYI, my own grandmother immigrated here at the turn of the century. She learned English, never went on welfare, left high school at fourteen and worked her whole life. Her Yiddish speaking parents also learned English and opened up a shop in America. At no point did any of my relatives expect that Americans would learn Yiddish let alone subsidize their decision to move here. When they were not allowed to bring in relatives from Poland they didn't drag them here anyway and demand that Americans pay for them to stay. Today's illegals should take a page from their book and grow up.

Go read a history textbook, stop defending criminals and learn the difference between legal immigrants and illegal immigrants.

Thank you.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
The 11,000+(and growing) job openings in GA disagree with you.
Whoopty doo! That still leaves over 18 million unemployed. And, how is that even relevant to the discussion? Are you suggesting the 11,000 jobs are being created by unskilled, uneducated, low-wage earners?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Whoopty doo! That still leaves over 18 million unemployed. And, how is that even relevant to the discussion? Are you suggesting the 11,000 jobs are being created by unskilled, uneducated, low-wage earners?
Hey you made the claim they are taking up these unemployed people's jobs not me. Despite your ignorance, I'm suggesting that these people should be taking these jobs that the illegals "stole" in Georgia. They aren't though. There are 18 million unemployed workers who WON'T TAKE THESE JOBS. I'm glad you are all like "I love American workers" and all but they aren't even taking these jobs and to save face and not bankrupt a bunch of GA farmers they are making criminals on probation do it instead so quit with the pity party and demonizing of the illegals for wanting a job. There are jobs available if the U.S. citizens want them but they don't.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
]Hey you made the claim they are taking up these unemployed people's jobs not me[. Despite your ignorance, I'm suggesting that these people should be taking these jobs that the illegals "stole". They aren't though. There are 18 million unemployed workers who WON'T TAKE THESE JOBS. I'm glad you are all like "I love American workers" and all but they aren't even taking these jobs available so quit with the pity party and demonizing the illegals for wanting a job. There are jobs available if the U.S. citizens want them but they don't.
Pure hogwash. There are no jobs “Americans won’t do.” Have you forgotten that most illegals are working “regular” jobs? That fallacy of them only doing the dirty work has been debunked so many times it’s ridiculous. Give it up. Illegals are working EVERYWHERE, even for government agencies.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
There are no jobs “Americans won’t do.”
Again, the 11k job openings in GA being filled by criminals because noone will apply disagree with you.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Again, the 11k job openings in GA being filled by criminals because noone will apply disagree with you.
Just like illegals are only doing the jobs Americans won’t do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.