Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM

82 posts, read 90,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Education can be useful or useless depending on the situation. Many hard labor jobs are just as easily filled by less educated workers.

Good job reducing the benefits of the free movement of labor to "cheaper frozen chickens," though.
I'm afraid the 'free movement of labor' is mostly a code phrase for 'I want to make a good income being a knowledge worker and pontificating in coffee shops while I pay you squat to build TV sets and mow the lawn'.

It's an understandable theory of life, but not everyone feels that way.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
I'd be happy to read anything that you provide a link to written by 'economists who have progressed beyond Economics 101'.

As usual, one person's 'cherry picked study' is another's gospel. In general, none of this is based on logic, but an emotional core that is converted into madly googling for proof of one's viewpoint.

The funny thing is that a source referenced by a known anti-immigration group, let's say VDARE, is now suspect regardless of the quality of the work. There is no unbiased research, if it agrees with you, it's unbiased. Where the whole thing gets amusing is when outrageously biased groups, the all-about-money SPLC for example, actually has it's own news releases used as 'proof' of something or the other. There's simply no fig leaf in that latter case.
There are no anti-"immigration" groups. That is a bald faced lie.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Harley View Post
Your solution is to take a group of people that are
Quote:
breaking multiple laws
Laws I disagree with.

Quote:
avoiding taxes
Myth

Quote:
abusing social services
Cite.

Quote:
Granting amnesty won't put them in a higher earning bracket.
I don't think it needs to in order to be a good idea, but this is probably wrong.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM

82 posts, read 90,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There are no anti-"immigration" groups. That is a bald faced lie.
LOL. A bit of keyboard courage speaks.

Listen, I may be wrong, but I won't lie.

Here's one that certainly qualifies:

...quick edit, I forgot that this site has a policy against links, correct?

google for 'vdare' and check it out.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM

46 posts, read 24,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
I'm afraid the 'free movement of labor' is mostly a code phrase for 'I want to make a good income being a knowledge worker and pontificating in coffee shops while I pay you squat to build TV sets and mow the lawn'.

It's an understandable theory of life, but not everyone feels that way.
You do know that knowledge workers have it the worst off though, right? With construction the house at least has to be built where the person lives. Software can be designed anywhere at any time. Currently capital can move a lot easier than labor so companies are able to arbitrage the different labor rates easier than they could without immigration controls. You shouldn't be advocating immigration controls you should be advocating relaxing emigration obstacles.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
pvn

103 posts, read 55,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing Blang Blaow View Post
You do know that knowledge workers have it the worst off though, right? With construction the house at least has to be built where the person lives. Software can be designed anywhere at any time. Currently capital can move a lot easier than labor so companies are able to arbitrage the different labor rates easier than they could without immigration controls. You shouldn't be advocating immigration controls you should be advocating relaxing emigration obstacles.
This.

I work in software. The barriers to competition are extremely low. People don't even have to move to the US to "take my job". They just have to do it better than me. So I work pretty hard at constantly improving my skills, which directly benefits not only myself but my customers, too.

Should we believe that insulating people from competition, so that they get complacent with stagnant skill sets is somehow supposed to benefit the larger economy?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
pvn

103 posts, read 55,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
They certainly don't pass their labor savings on to the customer.
You realize they are competing with other bidders when they make these bids, right?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM

403 posts, read 334,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
The college people aint doing a real good job cause the USA is in deep trouble with debt, etc. They need to man up and get real.
Could you elaborate the "etc?"

Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My point is that there is a clear barrier to entry for becoming a lawyer. No such barrier to entry exists on a factory floor or to drive a Bobcat around a construction site.

So the lawyer, trusting in his own job security, can make his pronouncements on the subject all day, knowing that he can't be touched.
The lawyers are getting their comeuppances. There appears to be a glut of them. Salaries are declining and law graduates can't get jobs.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
This.

I work in software. The barriers to competition are extremely low. People don't even have to move to the US to "take my job". They just have to do it better than me. So I work pretty hard at constantly improving my skills, which directly benefits not only myself but my customers, too.

Should we believe that insulating people from competition, so that they get complacent with stagnant skill sets is somehow supposed to benefit the larger economy?
How do you compete against this type of activity?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/us/22infosys.html

Quote:
Accusations that the company, Infosys Technologies, repeatedly violated the terms of business visitor visas were first raised in a lawsuit filed in February in Alabama by Jack Palmer, an Infosys project manager. Aside from Mr. Palmer, at least two other Infosys managers in the United States have submitted internal whistle-blower reports pointing to Indians on business visitor visas who were performing longer-term work not authorized under those visas, according to internal documents and current Infosys managers.

In May, Infosys acknowledged that it had received a subpoena from a federal grand jury in Texas seeking information about the company’s use of the visitor documents, known as B-1 visas, which are easier to obtain. This month, N. R. Narayana Murthy, an Infosys founder, expressed his concern about that investigation at a board meeting in Bangalore, India, in his final address before he retired as company chairman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration