Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 06:42 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,506,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
The Irish didn't get interpreters. They didn't have voting materials provided in a language other than English. They didn't eventually have their own broadcasting stations for radio and television. In other words; they, along with every other immigrant group HAD to assimilate. They were not coddled. And they were stronger because of it.
Ok? I don't support coddling them...

Still does NOTHING to prove that Latinos can not assimilate, I have seen VERY Americanized Mexican natives, DESPITE the "coddling".

Old 07-05-2014, 06:42 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,234,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
If by "pay our dues" and "came here legally" you mean nothing more than showing up at Ellis Island, you are correct.

They did NOT have to go through NEAR the trouble you give people who want to become citizens go through today.
My Grandfather, who came from Sweden, didn't just "show up" at Ellis Island. He and his siblings had to save a substantial amount of money to buy a ticket on the ship and he also had to speak English and write it as well.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Ok? I don't support coddling them...

Still does NOTHING to prove that Latinos can not assimilate, I have seen VERY Americanized Mexican natives, DESPITE the "coddling".
I am not in any way suggesting they cannot assimilate. But here in California, they are not making much of an effort anymore. That is why there is resentment brewing.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
My Grandfather, who came from Sweden, didn't just "show up" at Ellis Island. He and his siblings had to save a substantial amount of money to buy a ticket on the ship and he also had to speak English and write it as well.
That is one person.

Are you saying only wealthy, English speakers immigrated in that time frame? The exact opposite is true....

Old 07-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I am not in any way suggesting they cannot assimilate. But here in California, they are not making much of an effort anymore. That is why there is resentment brewing.
Got any verifiable evidence to that, I have some to the contrary:

Quote:
Language Use—English and Spanish

Most Hispanics use Spanish, but use of English rises through the generations. The survey finds that 38% of all respondents are Spanish dominant, 38% are bilingual and 24% are English dominant. Among U.S.-born Hispanics, more than half (51%) are English dominant.

Hispanics believe learning English is important. Nearly nine-in-ten (87%) Hispanics say adult Hispanic immigrants need to learn English to succeed in the U.S.

Hispanics also want future U.S. Hispanic generations to speak Spanish. Fully 95% of Hispanics believe it is very important (75%) or somewhat important (20%) for future generations of Hispanics in the U.S. to be able to speak Spanish.
When Labels Don’t Fit: Hispanics and Their Views of Identity

Old 07-05-2014, 06:53 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,288,549 times
For a preview of America if the borders were wide open, I suggest watching the movie "The Road Warrior".

Old 07-05-2014, 06:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,767,958 times
It might even be better if ALL could just come on -- all Ukrainians, all Nigerians, all Haitians, all Romanians, all Russians, all Irish, all Chinese, all Indonesians, all of the whole world.

As it is, right now it's only Spanish speakers, one ethnic group that has unlimited rights to come on in -- they have no incentive to learn English.

Back in the old days when there was a better mix of immigrants, the immigrants were eager to learn English so they could better compete. Today the immigrants have no desire to learn English and figure they can get their food stamps and WIC coupons given to them in Spanish.

End all welfare handouts -- let immigration be more like it used to be -- you came here -- no food stamps, no free health care -- you had to compete or go back home -- which is what many immigrants in the past actually did. They went home if they couldn't hack it here. No one catered to them back in those days.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,854,060 times
It takes a lifetime of shaping to be an American. No scrap of paper makes you one.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
That is one person.

Are you saying only wealthy, English speakers immigrated in that time frame? The exact opposite is true....
Not at all, but people in the past had to learn English quickly. That is not necessary now because concessions are made for Spanish speakers, even after they become fluent they have too many opportunities to function totally in their first language.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
It takes a lifetime of shaping to be an American. No scrap of paper makes you one.
Bull crap.

You saying that only old Americans born here are American citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration