Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:02 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times

Advertisements

Until Pearl Harbor, America did not want to commit troops to WW2. Only when America suffered huge losses that it sent troops. Only whem Illegal Immigration causes HUGE conflict will the issue be resolved. Bit late then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 02:05 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
--------------------

Latin America not just Mexoco is a sewer of corruption . USA can pour all the money it wants and nothing will change.

Only change will be the safe deposit box's of the ruling elite will get that much bigger .
USA will one day go down in history as the country that financially destroyed itself pouring money into corrupt countries while it's own citizens suffered.

We have states,area's in America that are in dire poverty , people actually hungry ,no shelter,etc.
What about FOR ONCE just for once giving our own citizen's priority?
Money does not grow on tree's so don't say we can do both because we can not. We are in financial trouble .

It is high time someone helps Americas poor . USA does not owe Latin America nor any country a thing not a penny and again if it sends money most is going to safe deposit boxes.

I don't understand what Pearl Harbor has to do with sending MORE money in aid to Mexico.
I agree-good post.

Nicolem

Old 09-06-2008, 02:09 PM

Too much time and money is spent abroad on corrupt Govt. If they cannot look after their own people,it isn't America's job. America isn't the dustbin of the World. The billions sent abroad should be used to repair America. Charity begins at home.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:14 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Until Pearl Harbor, America did not want to commit troops to WW2. Only when America suffered huge losses that it sent troops. Only whem Illegal Immigration causes HUGE conflict will the issue be resolved. Bit late then.

Okay I see .

illegal immigration can be solved by closing all the borders .

It will not be solved by a single Latin American country .
We can pour trillionS and trillionS will wind up in Swiss safe deposit boxes so the family of the elite rulling class can live like Gods.

I have greater sympathy for the grass in my yard that I am about to mow than any Latin American politico has about their people.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Too much time and money is spent abroad on corrupt Govt. If they cannot look after their own people,it isn't America's job. America isn't the dustbin of the World. The billions sent abroad should be used to repair America. Charity begins at home.
----------

I agree I rarely if ever discuss politics here in S.Florida because it gets in a heated debate.
The attitude is that America OWES their "homeland" and we are bad if we don't give them priority over our own citizens.

Mean while God forbid they say anything bad about their own corrupt vile politicians . That they wont do.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:23 PM

Of course keeping the borders open so that ANYONE can just saunter into the USA will solve the Illegal Immigration Problem. Giving Sanctuary to the millions of Illegals will solve the Illegal Immigration Problem. Leaving America open to terrorist attacks by having an open border so that fanatic can enter and bring any weapons they like into America will solve the Security problem. Sealing the border, air tight is the start. Deporting Illegals is another Step and not financing Govts who give their citizens reasons to run to America is another.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
Quote:
With its wealthy clientele, middle-class owners and low-income work force, 3 Guys is a template of the class divisions in America. But it is also the setting for two starkly different tales about breaching those divides.

The familiar story is Mr. Zannikos's. For him, the restaurant - don't dare call it a diner - with its $20 salads and elegant décor represents the American promise of upward mobility, one that has been fulfilled countless times for generations of hard-working immigrants.

But for Juan Manuel Peralta, a 34-year-old illegal immigrant who worked there for five years until he was fired last May, and for many of the other illegal Mexican immigrants in the back, restaurant work today is more like a dead end. They are finding the American dream of moving up far more elusive than it was for Mr. Zannikos. Despite his efforts to help them, they risk becoming stuck in a permanent underclass of the poor, the unskilled and the uneducated.

That is not to suggest that the nearly five million Mexicans who, like Mr. Peralta, are living in the United States illegally will never emerge from the shadows. Many have, and undoubtedly many more will. But the sheer size of the influx - over 400,000 a year, with no end in sight - creates a problem all its own. It means there is an ever-growing pool of interchangeable workers, many of them shunting from one low-paying job to another. If one moves on, another one - or maybe two or three - is there to take his place.
Too much immigration from sob stifles immigrant upper mobilty. Blame the open border crowd.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/05/26/news/class.php

Old 09-06-2008, 02:47 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
I agree with the sentiment that we need to focus more money on our own poor, but not with the idea that "it's not our problem". Again, the impact it's having on us makes it our problem and I don't think that securing our borders alone is going to slow down the flow of illegals from coming over as much as some seem to think.

Not to mention that our government will likely not do anything right now that could hurt the economy any more than it already is, like forcing companies to hire citizens or punish them if they don't. It will cost businesses more money, and the government has made it clear they won't do anything to slow business right now. And I doubt we're going to see any major action in securing the borders the way many would want. The financial cost is just extremely high, and with the cost of the war, it's money we don't have. And I don't think our leaders see it as such a problem anyway.

So if those changes don't take place, and Mexico's economy doesn't improve, how does it not become our problem? Let's hope there is some action that takes place soon, no matter what it may be.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
--------------------

Latin America not just Mexoco is a sewer of corruption . USA can pour all the money it wants and nothing will change.

Only change will be the safe deposit box's of the ruling elite will get that much bigger .
USA will one day go down in history as the country that financially destroyed itself pouring money into corrupt countries while it's own citizens suffered.

We have states,area's in America that are in dire poverty , people actually hungry ,no shelter,etc.
What about FOR ONCE just for once giving our own citizen's priority?

Money does not grow on tree's so don't say we can do both because we can not. We are in financial trouble .

It is high time someone helps Americas poor . USA does not owe Latin America nor any country a thing not a penny and again if it sends money most is going to safe deposit boxes.

I don't understand what Pearl Harbor has to do with sending MORE money in aid to Mexico.
Good post..and once again, it gives me another opportunity to put in a plug for "culture". I don't believe race or ethnicity, in itself, is an insurmountable problem...but I DO believe that "Culture is Everything" It determines how we feel, act, how we react, and how we 'look at life'.

In this case (i.e., "pumping money into Mexico") culture plays a huge part. In the rather 'puritan' mindset of North American 'protestant culture', an act of 'charity' or 'helping' obligates the recipient to return the favor 'in kind'..that is, "if you do ME a favor, I feel obligated to RETURN that favor, and if I DON'T, I feel cheap, ungrateful, and guilty".

In MUCH of the world, this doesn't apply. In THOSE many cultures, if you do ME a favor, I see you as "stupid...easy...gullible..and a 'soft touch' ". In that type of culture, your 'helping me out' doesn't obligate me to return the favor...it tells me you're an 'easy mark', and emboldens me not to gratitude, but to demand even MORE from you.

Two VERY different ways of 'seeing things'...from two VERY different cultures. WE can attempt to ignore these cultural differences, but we do so ONLY at our peril.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
And hasn't it become our problem? Don't you think that no matter what we do, the poor will always be there because of the lack of opportunity for them in Mexico? It seems to me that it will always be our problem, at least to some extent. Even if we'd rather wash our hands of it.
Then the Mexicans have to fight for their rights SOB.

Again; we owe them nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration